Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
RE: NO, what he said...

>http://www.specialstage.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=236&topic_id=991&mesg_id=991&page=

You guys are too harsh sometimes.

"The team performed two days of reconnaissance (recce) in order to develop their skills at creating pace notes"

There is nothing wrong with practice and getting a feel for things.

If you guys pay Subaru's bill to compete in WRC and they don't run it, then you have something to whine about.

If 30 years ago I finished a rally and Buffum stuffed it and DNF'd, who do you think would be mentioned? Buffum!

Get over it.

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts
RE: NO, what he said...

>It's Subaru's hard earned cash that matters most.

Yeah, I can see the bags of dollars being delivered to Jim, Ben, George, and Jeff's houses now. You must have uncovered yet another link in the Subaru/Rally America/Specialstage axis. Well done, supersleuth!

- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RE: BS for BS' sake

I feel the team should have more pride and class than announcing worthless "news".
Your view may be different.
rz

·
don't cut
4,073 Posts

>I feel the team should have more pride and class than
>announcing worthless "news".
>Your view may be different.
>rz
>
>
Thought I posted this already, but my computer isn't finding it. You do realize it was the team that announced this and not SS?

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

They may not do it any more but Goodyear used to send out a press release every day to every newspaper.
Every day, a picture of a scientist and a tire, a secretary and a tire, a workman and a tire, each with a little story just in hopes that some editor somewhere would have a space that needed a filler.
Some would say that's smart, others, would throw everything from them into the trash.
rz

·
Registered
123 Posts

>rz
>
>

Who cares if they done recce or not...Lots of team's do recce only and they don't get PR....If they ever should actually do a WRC they will be on world new's and big screen TV.

How many championships has Travis won?, I can't find any.

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,207 Posts

>How many championships has Travis won?, I can't find any.

Just wait.

Ben

·
Registered
43 Posts

Randy / RallyNut

Travis has legions of fans, across the World. I would bet that his fan base exceeds -most- WRC drivers.

That being said, it is a fact that many media outlets want to know what he is up to, even if its something not-so-amazing as a rally win or a double backflip.

Whether our news is "front cover worthy" is up to the respective media outlet. Of course I think that our mexico recce release is NOT a huge news story, but it is indeed interesting news for a large amount of people. If you are in the -business- of motorsport you need to keep everyone informed. I'm not going to send out a press release about what Travis had for lunch yesterday, but seriously, going to Mexico in prep for a 2007 PCWRC program is noteworthy - if not front cover material.

Just because Specialstage.com posts raw press releases, based simply on when the PR arrives in their inbox, does not mean there is a conspiracy to prevent other more deserving/interesting PR from being noticed. I agree 100% that the stories of LDR, Thomson and Wyeth deserve to be front cover. LDR and Thomson stories were on the front page and still are. I have not seen any PR on Wyeth.

I'm sorry our PR may have wasted your bandwidth and/or time.

I feel more teams need to send out MORE PR. You can't leave it up to Rally-America or specialstage.com to write about it. How is anyone suppossed to know what great 2wd battle was going on at (insert rally name here)?

-Chris Yandell
Marketing Manager
Vermont SportsCar

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts

Frankly, Vermont and Chris are doing what the teams should be doing ... getting their own PR out rather than waiting for the sanctioning bodies to deal with it.

That said, a press release that says they successfully completed Recce is almost mocking the team, IMHO.

I'd also suggest that most of the drivers the 'knew' that Ken won 100AW were probably prepped in some way by team management ... but that's just my opinion.

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts

>rz
>
>
or give us the real nitty gitty blow by blow:
Who ate what?
Green salsa?
What beer and how much?
What sunglasses did each SRTUSA member wear?
Did the water give anybody the runs?
Was that the REAL reason they couldn't actually do the event, no loos out in the scrubby terrain?

Come on that could be weeks worth of pointless fluff.

( Only a cynic would suggest that guys with the modest amount of seat time as the two SRTUSA boys have would have been smart to get the actual competiton experience since they were there and paid the entry and did the recce. Missing a chance to check notes at speed and on closed roads, seems like a massive tactical blunder, no point to wait a full year and since I'm a co-driver now, I must be right)

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Bags o' money?

>Yeah, I can see the bags of dollars being delivered....

Bags o' money? Can I get in on this? I'll be good and never again say anything negative about Subaru.

·
Registered
123 Posts

>
>>How many championships has Travis won?, I can't find any.
>
>Just wait.
>
>Ben

I hope Im not too old when it happens....So I wont need glasses to read the results.
I notice their names are not on the New York entry list, I thaught if they were looking for seat time and experiance on reading notes it would be a good place to practice...Mabe they are scared of getting their buts taned...That old black stuff can be very mean, No room for error there.

·
Registered
689 Posts
RE: Bags o' money?

C'mon kiddies we all say gee why isn't Rally bigger in the USA ,then when a NASCAR style press release comes out we dog it??? We had NASCAR in Vegas this weekend an 90% of the stories on TV were NOT about racing but what celebs like JR and Gordon were doing away from the track.
Oh and JVL I heard Travis had the Mole Pablano but would have prefered the Pescado Vercruzana.

Tom

·
Registered
768 Posts

- To go to the WRC "to gain experience to recce" is a joke.
- Those who claim this is "a common practice" among European competitors, please, name some names! I don't know any one who would risk to be laughed at.
- Travis is very cutsy on two wheels, like Daytona Bike Week showed. Maybe not very smart, but cutsy. Who else would try to back flip after hard motorcross heat? It almost ended braking his neck... but people loved it.
- And he had balls to try Flat Track among the best. He was very uncomfortable, almost scared, and slow, BUT he had cojones to try it. That I respect a lot. It's not shame to fail. It's shame not to try.

- He should have rallied in Mexico. Specially, when tens of thousands were rooting for him. Now they call him A WIMP... as I do, too.

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
March 13, 2006

Michigan Rally Driver Successfully Completes Transmission Rebuild

Following a dismal performance at 100 Acre Wood, rally driver Eric Burmeister has...

Aww, forget it. :)

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts

>- To go to the WRC "to gain experience to recce" is a joke.
>- Those who claim this is "a common practice" among European
>competitors, please, name some names! I don't know any one who
>would risk to be laughed at.

Sebastien Loeb, Rally Mexico 2003 (Recce only)
Gigi Galli, Rally Mexico 2005 (Recce only)

- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

·
Registered
907 Posts

Topi: As you saw Christinas post it is very common for drivers to just do the recce at an event these day to get ready. How can you call Travis a whimp for not competing at this years event. I know that Ken and Travis both wanted to compete but sometimes it just does not work out that way for variety of reasons, but at least they got down there unlike the most of us.

-gp

1 - 20 of 45 Posts