Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Xtreme Lens, a multimedia racecar digital recording system used in NASCAR and roadracing schools, will be used for the first time in a rally environment in the Jon Nichols/Dave Shindle entry at the Rally of the Tall Pines, November 22. The unique quad-view image (4 in-car digital video cameras), dual digital audio, tachometer and speedometer displays, lateral G force bar graph and position of car on a stagemap determined by Global Position System tracking will make some of the most exciting rally viewing and analysis available. The system is also capable of recording vital engine data such as pressures and temperatures for service crew review.

There is a download of the system available at http://steeletechnologies.com/xtremelens.html and going to the demo page.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
That's really cool ...... but will it transmit live to the web so those of us freezing out west can watch it along with Jean-Georges scores? :p

I assume the TV2GO guys will get a look at the data!

Neat Stuff!

Shawn

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
>...... but will it transmit live to the
>web so those of us freezing out west can watch it along with
>Jean-Georges scores? :p

It does not have a satelite feed yet. Maybe we should talk to GlobalStar. And I don't think we can use a transmitter blimp at Tall Pines. For this event each stage recording will be made to a 512 MB memory flashcard so it is possible to watch the stages when the car enters the service area. I don't know yet if any other personnel from Xtreme Lens will be coming to the event to provide for showing the stages at the service area or rally headquarters or if I will just bring the recorded flashcards back to Xtreme Lens headquarters to be viewed then. I'll be too busy with codriving duties. We do have several large enclosed trailers with super-sized plasma screens mounted inside which we show video from at racetracks that could be used to show everyone at service or headquarters but I can't think of how to make it economicaly feasible to do so at a rally at this point unless an event organizer could find a sponsor for that purpose alone.

Someday service crews will be watching their drivers on the stages live and know what tools and equipment they'll need when they come into service (team suffers 2 flats, ready 2 spares from the service truck) or if they crash, the service crew will know to pack it up and where to go to retreive the car and drivers.

>I assume the TV2GO guys will get a look at the data!

Yes, we will be sharing the info with TV2Go in hopes of geting more systems installed in the leading cars for future broadcasts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts