Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how they will actually pick the drivers??
Is the point of this event to have well known drivers?? if so we need the likes of travis, Geoff Gordon, Tony Stewart, John Buffum,Rod and Rhyce Millen, Pat Richard plus some lady drivers, Lisa Klassen Jamie Thomas etc, the ladies bring lots of attention
I have heard through the grape vine that they might pick the winners of certain rallies, that to me would not be in rally,s best intrest, pick the well known guys, the champian etc and those pesky NASCAR guys as they will bring the fans
my 2 cents worth
Leon

·
slow is slow....
792 Posts
Since it's a TV show (TV filming permits were acquired verses the traditional permits required for rallies) I would suspect it will have very few real rally drivers. They’ll just play them on TV! It’s going to be a mix of relatively well known people from various forms of racing…maybe some drift guys…maybe some offroad guys….only time will tell!

It’s been pointed out earlier that a lot of drivers have races the same weekend or the weekend after the X games…there’s a WRC event on August 11 so that doesn’t give much time for Solberg to get from LA to Germany to do proper recce. Nascar has a Nextel Cup, Busch series and Craftsmen Truck series race the same weekend as the X Games….only Robby Gordon is crazy enough to take 3 flights and a helicopter ride to do it…I hope he does!

My question is what are they going to do for cars? Spec Subaru’s, since they’re the ones rumored to be footing a good portion of the bill by sponsoring the “event”? If they are spec cars who’s building 12 cars by August?

If they aren’t spec cars and if Subaru is in fact spending millions that means the selection committee can’t invite Seamus or Lawless because you can’t have an Evo win the whole thing!

It’s funny to hear all of the noise through the rally back channels. “Who’s sitting with who”…”so and so got selected to be on the selection committee”….“I call dibs on a certain rental car if I get selected”….it’s pretty funny.

And then the rumored 2wd cars that they haven’t decided on yet….the plot thickens...

Andrew

·
Registered
479 Posts
The real question is.............what will happen at the WINTER x-games? Side by side, unrestricted, studded rally cars up Aspen ski mountain under the lights would be amazing. Hopefully in the future, driver opportunities will be based on merit instead of a popularity contest.

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
Your opinion may differ from mine but...

It is still RallyAmerica working with ESPN to make this happen.

It will be in RallyAmerica's interests to put forth the best and most appealing ambassadors of rally forward, with that said I fully expect people to be disapointed with who makes it.

The problems of bringing in a WRC driver (not that it would be a bad or good idea at this point) have been noted, as well as problems with NASCRASH drivers (although I can think of a couple that would be interesting to see).

But if you have exciting drivers doing exciting things the name won't matter so much. Remember, you have a built in audience (and the way the X Games does things, it will either be recap coverage built in and around other events with a built in audience or they will cut back and forth between established events and the rally, still built in audience). You don't need big names you can't deliver to a championship event IF the names you pick actually drive hard.

You're not going to draw a NACRASH fan over by having Robby, Jimmy, or billy bob, in the X Games any more than if they were in any other rally, and you're not likely to get a NASCRASH viewer to stick around and watch the rest of the X Games if you did.

So here is what I envision happening.

RallyAmerica will pick the most exciting, fast, personable drivers that are active (being a RA supporting driver will probably help). There will probably be a list of about 30 names that will be formed. At some point rally people and ESPN people will sit down and from the list and rally people contributions, the ESPN people will pick the amount of drivers they want and invitations will be sent out.

I have no speculations about car spec (certainly you would want cars that are close to equal). I do think its silly to presuppose that Subaru sponsorship would completely negate non Subaru drivers from competiting. What looks better? A bunch of WRXs/STIs beating each other or some WRXs/STIs beating some EVOs?

When was the last time that Seamus won a rally with say Richard entered? Seamus and Tom are fast but they can be beaten like many other drivers can be beaten.

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
>Does anyone know how they will actually pick the drivers??
>Is the point of this event to have well known drivers?? if so
>we need the likes of travis, Geoff Gordon, Tony Stewart, John
>Buffum,Rod and Rhyce Millen, Pat Richard plus some lady
>drivers, Lisa Klassen Jamie Thomas etc, the ladies bring lots
>of attention
>I have heard through the grape vine that they might pick the
>winners of certain rallies, that to me would not be in rally,s
>best intrest, pick the well known guys, the champian etc and
>those pesky NASCAR guys as they will bring the fans
>my 2 cents worth

I'll take your 2 cents and raise you a nickel. :)

I wholeheartedly disagree with this, Leon. Pat and Rhys are fine. But look at the X-Games. You never heard of most of those people in, say, street BMX, from other sports.

You see, real sports CREATE their own heroes from existing personalities and talent in that field.

Quite frankly, I am tired of US rallying perenially resorting to has-been actors and such to "promote" rallying. It is high time we promote our resident characters along with our sport. And God knows we have some characters. As for Travis, he is different. He has jumped in with both feet and is not a "dabbler" dipping his feet in for a fun weekend while someone hopes to gain popularity off his name. (Okay, perhaps some are trying to gain pop. off his name, but his dedication is still there and pretty much negates the "bought camera talent" stigma of the douchebag from "Saved By the Bell" or the dude from "Riptide" or even Troy Lee himself.)

As for the chicks, I agree as long as they can drive and put on a good sideways show without mistakes. But Kelly Clark isn't a champion because she's female. She got invited by kicking ass on a snowboard.

http://expn.go.com/media/snb/2004/040223_wsc04_v.jpg

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>The real question is.............what will happen at the
>WINTER x-games? Side by side, unrestricted, studded rally
>cars up Aspen ski mountain under the lights would be amazing.

Agreed. Hopefully, on full WRC spec studded tires. Unfortunately, even open class cars look slow on snow/ice (on television) without studs.

>Hopefully in the future, driver opportunities will be based on
>merit instead of a popularity contest.

You are making a big assumption here that, in 2006, driver selection will not be based on merit. So far, I have seen nothing to indicate this. The other X Games sports have the best in each sport selected, so why would rallying be any different?

Doug Havir told us several times that he would let us know more when he knows more. I have a lot of faith in Doug that he will try to ensure that the selections reflect well on our sport.

Doug Woods

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
And the first thing to consider when you want to know how "they" will pick the participants is that "they" are the people who run the X Games and not Rally America.
Richard

·
3,740 Posts
>And the first thing to consider when you want to know how
>"they" will pick the participants is that "they" are the
>people who run the X Games and not Rally America.
>Richard

And I fully expect the X Games people to seek advice from the rally community (in terms of capable drivers) and then make their own decisions.

Nobody benefits from boring/poor driving at the X Games Rally...

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
>>And the first thing to consider when you want to know how
>>"they" will pick the participants is that "they" are the
>>people who run the X Games and not Rally America.
>>Richard
>
>
>
>And I fully expect the X Games people to seek advice from the
>rally community (in terms of capable drivers) and then make
>their own decisions.
>
>Nobody benefits from boring/poor driving at the X Games
>Rally...
Agree, just don't blame any one except the X Games management when we don't like the choices.

·
3,740 Posts
>>>And the first thing to consider when you want to know how
>>>"they" will pick the participants is that "they" are the
>>>people who run the X Games and not Rally America.
>>>Richard
>>
>>
>>
>>And I fully expect the X Games people to seek advice from
>the
>>rally community (in terms of capable drivers) and then make
>>their own decisions.
>>
>>Nobody benefits from boring/poor driving at the X Games
>>Rally...
>Agree, just don't blame any one except the X Games management
>when we don't like the choices.

And there will probably be a couple the bulk of the rally community won't agree with....

·
Registered
926 Posts
"X Games, how do they pick the drivers??"

Dont get me wrong. I really get a kick out of the X Games.

With my tongue planted firmly in my cheek...

Based on the people that are the X stars I would say the drivers will need shaved heads, goatees, multiple tatoos, many body piercings, skivies above the navel and pants below the pubes with the crotch at the knees. That rules out nearly everyone mentioned so far.:)

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
Walter, I think you hit it on the head. :7

That laughingly said, I would like to publically state the Cowboy Kenny Bartram is a great representative for both the X Games where he is a star and performance rally where he ran his first ever event at 100 Acre Wood. He was started on the road behind me. And he only caught me on stage when I spun. Kenny did not seem to have too much extra metal in him and every time I saw him, he looked like a cowhand from Oklahoma with pants where they belonged etc. etc. His co-driver, who I think is his cousin, had a few more tats and piercings but also was a real nice guy.

Kenny was very patient signing autographs for kids who recognized him and in posing for photographs. He drove smoothly and quickly and yes, he would have caught me without my spin.

So those X Game people seem to have their game on.
Richard

·
5 right opens
859 Posts
I spoke with ESPN today regarding the XGames Rally.

This is a DIRECT QUOTE from Rich Bigge, ESPN Senior Logisitics Manager who gave me permission to quote him:

"XGames will NOT be a Celebrity event. The competitors will be skilled, professional Rally Drivers period. You don't see Celebs driving NASCAR races just because they are celebs... we are taking the XGames Rally just as seriously and we are very excited to be supporting Rally"

You can follow along at www.XGamesRally.com (under some additional construction at this time).

Scott

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
Uhhh...is this YOUR site, Scott? I know it isn't anything official. Nice 10 year old MX bike...from Yurp.

If X Games personnel find out they hyphenated their name, a lawsuit may ensue...or perhaps that's how they are avoiding legal trouble.

Oh...I see the fine print now. Not affiliated.

This is very useless misdirection...

...in my opinion, of course.

·
5 right opens
859 Posts
Thanks for the reminder about the hyphen... That was another conversation I had with them yesterday. ;)

X-Games is aware of the site and is fine with it. However, I know nothing about motorcycles, so if you have a better image, send it over and I'll get it up there :D

Never the less, I am no longer worried that the producers of the X-Games Rally event are simply putting the thing on as a way to promote their own. I find it refreshing to know that they respect the sport and are interested in keeping its integrity intact. They seem to be jazzed about the sport and can't wait to be involved (my impression, no quote there).

I'm excited about the future of Rally in the US with ESPN and the X-Games' support.

This IS a direct Quote... "Rally-America couldn't be in a better position. ESPN is the World Leader in Sports... everyone is going to hear about Rally"

That's a GOOD THING!!!!

The more of us that start spreading the word about Rally, the Better!

OH... and you can watch the Oregon Trail Rally via RallyNetCast Same-Day coverage on my virtually useless www.xgamesrally.com site also. <wink> Just click video and click into the "live" stream from the event. It's delayed about a stage but still, virtually live

You can also catch the feed at:
www.Rally-America.com
www.OregonTrailRally.com
www.RallyNetCast.com

and a host of other locations as well :)

--- end PSA --- ;)

Scott

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
>everyone is going to hear about Rally"
>
>That's a GOOD THING!!!!
>

Oh oh, here we go, let me get my popcorn. Cue the curmudgeon...:p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts