Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Hopefully you are all aware of the dry and tinder conditions we have in the Pacific Northwest this summer (only about .2" of rainfall all of August).
This is a critical concern for Simpson Resource Company (host landowner of Wild West), and I'd like to plant the seed in all of your minds to be aware of the extreme fire danger we have this year as you enjoy the exciting Wild West rally as a competitor, crew, spectator, or organizer.
It is so bad, Simpson's tree farm will be closed to the public until we get enough rain to alleviate this danger (hunting season starts Sept. 1, but our gates will remain closed).
We hope to allow all the public spectating locations as planned, but may have to limit it to only parc exposes, ORV park, and the gravel pit (stage 6 I think). Sorry for the inconvenience (if we must cancel spectators), but hopefully you all can understand our concern due the dry conditions in the woods.

What you can do to help:
All:
No smoking in the woods.
Smoke in cars only, and always use your ashtray.
Report any visible smoke or flames IMMEDIATELY to any rally official or call 911.
Competitors:
Don't roll or otherwise leave the road (yeah, right)
Report any visible smoke or flames to the finish control workers IMMEDIATELY.
If you see a fire started next to the road, please aggressivly fight it (you have 2 fire extinguishers, please use them).

I hate to sound like an extremist, but the danger is real. And as a landowner (one of the only rally friendly landowners in Washington), I am seriously concerned about the repercussions if a fire were to start on our timberlands due to rally.

Thanks for help during this dry summer,
Rick
(half landowner, half organizer, remaining fraction driver ;-) )

·
Straight At "T"
297 Posts
No problem. We'll be extraordinarily careful and keep our eyes open for any potential hazards. Oh yeah, we'll try to stay upright and on the road, too! :)

-Doug

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
You should remind competitors that the BC fire extinguishers they carry will not be effective on a Class A fire, and may actually spread it. Water is still the best extinguisher for a Class A fire.

Bruce

·
Registered
706 Posts
Perhaps competitors should be required to carry a Class A extinguisher as well, when forest fire danger is extreme

Skye

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have to agree, it may be worth adding something to the supps that a class A fire extinguisher is required. Maybe allow them to carry it in the trunk, or elsewhere (not in the immediate reach of the driver/codriver, like the required BC fire extinguishers). I would be interested in seeing the national office step in to specify a size for all rallies that want to make this a requirement. They don't need to make it a requirement for all rallies, but if they specify one size that can be used at any/all rallies with a severe forest fire danger, car owners would only have to prep their cars for one size fire extinguisher.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
946 Posts
>I have to agree, it may be worth adding something to the
>supps that a class A fire extinguisher is required. Maybe
>allow them to carry it in the trunk, or elsewhere (not in
>the immediate reach of the driver/codriver, like the
>required BC fire extinguishers). I would be interested in
>seeing the national office step in to specify a size for all
>rallies that want to make this a requirement. They don't
>need to make it a requirement for all rallies, but if they
>specify one size that can be used at any/all rallies with a
>severe forest fire danger, car owners would only have to
>prep their cars for one size fire extinguisher.
>
>Just my two cents.

If the forest is on fire, we won't be able to carry enough fire extinquishers in any of the current vehicles to even make a dent in it... I'll be happy to hurry to the next ham operator and let them know, but I'll be getting myself OUT of the forest quickly.

I guess I could start rallying a fire truck, but the hairpin turns would be tough. (and yes JL, I might be faster in the Red truck...)

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Pete Morris (building "Son of CoROLLa"). I have fire extinguishers for sale for $32 each plus mounting bracket. It is a low density foam and works just like an aerosol. It is bio-degradable, non -toxic, non- corrosive and does not have to be recharged until it is empty. Can be used on multiple fires and can be left on the shelf and forgotten until you need it. None of this check it every year stuff. Unfortunately, I am still waiting for SCCA to approve it for rally cars but have not heard anything in about a year. I will be using them in my car when it's finished. If you buy more than one, the price comes down. Call for more info. PS. These are legal in all 50 states and have a UL listing.

·
Registered
967 Posts
>If the forest is on fire, we won't be able to carry enough
>fire extinquishers in any of the current vehicles to even
>make a dent in it...

Wrong answer Trevor. If your car brakes a wheel and spreads a string of sparks, you may be the first one on the fire scene. It doesn't take a lot to stop the smoldering before it gets into the timber. I've smothered grass fires with tennis shoes and picnic blankets (don't try this in shorts), bet one of those nomex suits would do a great job.

Maybe that's why John Lane always takes his suit off when he parks in the woods?

Jim Culp
prorallypix.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
Several years ago, Doug Schrenk managed to burn his car down to the bare shell during fire season and managed to keep the woods from catching fire with only a dozen 10BC fire bottles, thankfully supplied by other competitors. If you see a small fire stop and put it out and we won't lose the only roads left to us in Washington.

To quote the old bear "Only you can prevent forest fires":7

Rally On
mike

·
Registered
946 Posts
>Several years ago, Doug Schrenk managed to burn his car down
>to the bare shell during fire season and managed to keep the
>woods from catching fire with only a dozen 10BC fire
>bottles, thankfully supplied by other competitors. If you
>see a small fire stop and put it out and we won't lose the
>only roads left to us in Washington.
>
>To quote the old bear "Only you can prevent forest fires":7
>
>Rally On
>mike

I was one of the 3 rally teams in the forest with that car. I was 2 minutes behind him. Car in front used 2 extingishers and I used one and saved one. Didn't do ANYTHING to the fire at all. I don't know how you get to a dozen. 1 car burning, Kendal Russell, My car and Tim Patterson only cars on stage at that point. First car, extinguishers didn't help, burned to groung. 2nd car used 2 extiinguishers, didn't help, 3rd car, only used 1. Thats a total of 5 used.

Tim Patterson was first Clubrally 6 minute gap, so fire was pretty much under control by that time, it had burned itself out.

The only reason we didn't have a forest fire was because the car was not close enough to anything that would burn quickly. Our piddlin little extingueshers didn't do crap. Perhaps a couple of degrees cooler for a second. You haven't seen a car in full burn obviously. Flames 30 feet high and us with little piss ant extingueshers. We also waited for it to explode, and fortunately it didn't.

So... I have first hand knowledge, and not having a forest fire was luck and nothing more.

I'll give Jim that we can put out a small fire, and I absolutely would do my best to do that. But it don't take much for it to be way more than 100 cars with 200 extinguishers to do anything about.

·
Marketing through Motorsports
1,385 Posts
Re: Car Fires and Explosions

>.... We also waited for it
>to explode, and fortunately it didn't.

Intuitor explains why cars rarely burst into flames in real life. It's worth a read, even if you're not a physics geek. In fact, it's written assuming you're not a physics geek.

http://www.intuitor.com/moviephysics/mpmain.html#carcrashes

The info above could actually save someone's life too if you realize you don't HAVE to drag someone out of a crashed car (in most cases).

----------------------
John Dillon       John @ WidgetRacing.com
            www.WidgetRacing.com

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Green light

We're good to go. The event with all spectator areas will go as planned. (Spectators: please view only from designated locations and please no smoking in the woods.)

The fire danger is still extremely high, so please be vigilant to ensure a successful event.

NWR SCCA has been great to work with during this tenuous time. Kevin Needham has arranged every thing Simpson required to help pull this event off. Thanks to all the NWR organizers for their hard work and last minute planning.

Be safe,
Rick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts