Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw in the Olympian today on the front page of the sports section there is a group called The Evergreen Rally Group that is working with the WRC to bring a world rally back to Washington State again.I wish them all the luck. I remember the great times I had at Olympus.

·
Registered
229 Posts
How do you get around the fact that the US doesn't get Citroen, Pugeot or Skoda, and that tobacco advertising is severely limited? I would love WRC to come here, but I wonder if someone with some background could fill me in on this.

·
Registered
213 Posts
You're bang on the money about the current situation.

North America and Japan, however, are the two highest concentrations of automobiles on earth that have no representation in the WRC. The WRC Council has been working to get events there for that reason.

Japan is now in the 2004 Championship.

To different degrees, the WRC Council has been working with Charlevoix, Chattanooga (sp?), and a few others, trying to get an event off the ground here in North America. It's just unfortunate that non-rallyists in North America know so little about the sport, and that they vastly outnumber us.

Yes, Citroen, Peugeot, and Skoda don't sell cars here. But they would love to. They need to do some advance marketing to start it up. But a WRC event here would also jump start their marketing efforts.

Look at what rallying has done for Subaru. I was reading in one of the driving magazines that they expected to sell X number of WRX's (I think it was 10,000 or something) in North America, but because of their exposure in rallying they sold 2.5 times that number.

I'd buy a Peugeot 206, if I could. That's a cool looking little car. The only reason I know about it, though, is because of the rally exposure that I seek out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think the biggest problem facing puegueot and citroen is the perception that they are unreliable junk boxes. if they can clear that hurdle and have a car as consistently reliable as a toyota camry or honda acorn then they may be able to make some inroads here. the US market is pretty tight.

·
Registered
213 Posts
What about the Corona Rally?

Unfortunately, Mexico is a second-best option for WRC. Yes, it's close to the North America (is it part of North America? I'm not sure if it's officially classified as being part of NA or not, but it's economy, standard of living and infrastructure tells me it's more Central American than North American).

But the WRC wants an event where the money and population is (the eastern seaboard of the US or Ontario/Quebec) and they want the great media machine that is the US television networks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Toyota and the other Japanese car manufacturers cleared that hurdle when they stopped producing junk in the 70's, so Peugeot and Citroen could certainly do it, too.

What are Peugeot and Citroen's reliability ratings like right now? Does JD Power do surveys in Europe as well?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Re: Peugeot and Citroen coming to US again. I watch this closely to see what is going on and according to most European press, there are no plans to come to US for several reasons. Primarily, French cars have never sold well here except during the early 80s when Peugeot had their diesel cars which turned out to be junk. Now, regardless of their durability, appearance, rally history or anything else, Americans will not buy French cars because the companies are owned by the French Government and thus considered unfriendly and unsupportive to the US.

john nelson

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
>What about the Corona Rally?
>
>
>Unfortunately, Mexico is a second-best option for WRC. Yes,
>it's close to the North America (is it part of North
>America? I'm not sure if it's officially classified as being
>part of NA or not, but it's economy, standard of living and
>infrastructure tells me it's more Central American than
>North American).
>
>But the WRC wants an event where the money and population is
>(the eastern seaboard of the US or Ontario/Quebec) and they
>want the great media machine that is the US television
>networks.

Uhhh...you DO know that CRM is a WRC rally for 04, right?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yes, I realize that Mexico is on the schedule. I'm saying that Mexico was their second most preferable location for the next WRC event. If somebody in the US could have gotten their event up to standards and with enough money at the same time as Mexico, they would have gotten the event first. It's because of a lack of a suitable and ready event in the States, that Mexico got in.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yes, but that opinion, too, will fade.

If that kind of opinion doesn't fade, we wouldn't be buying German or Japanese cars now, after that WWII thing that happened a few years back. (Spoken with a lot of irony in my voice)

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
John if you read things closely it would seem that it might be possible to get some facts a little straighter.

I watch this
>closely to see what is going on and according to most
>European press, there are no plans to come to US for several
>reasons.
Primarily, French cars have never sold well here
>except during the early 80s when Peugeot had their diesel
>cars which turned out to be junk.
Puegeot introduced their 504 Diesel in 1975 in USA maybe '76 (I wasn't living here at the time I was driving back and forth across Europe from the South of France up to home in Sweden every other week racking up 50,000km in a shortened season in a $150 Puegoet 404 Diesel. Flat out pulling a trailer and overloaded with spares and gear.)
If you follow rally closely then you should be aware that they had a excellent car called the 205 T16 which used the good ol XU diesel family block from the 404 and 504 D because it was stronger than hell and would be RELIABLE, even at the highest levels of output, but I'm sure you're familiar with GpB cars.k

The question which might be more enlightening, and simultaneously pertain to the old discussion of "why isn't rally popular here in the US" would be: why did say Puegoet which had a reputation all across Europe as extremely reliable if not a tad boring come to have the different reputation on these shores....not slightly different but so different that guys who presumably have no actual experience at all with the cars in other contexts, repeat without qualifications as if it was a fact, silly crap like the Puegoet Diesel was unreliable?

Now, regardless of their
>durability, appearance, rally history or anything else,
including reality

>Americans will not buy French cars because the companies are
>owned by the French Government and thus considered
>unfriendly and unsupportive to the US.
You cannot possibly be serious.
Germany didn't support our brave selected resident and by that logic we would expect people would not be buying Bowel Movement Wonders and Mercedes and VWs; Japanese government works hand in glove with their car companies in terms of loans and basic research and those comanieds built the aircraft which were somewhat unfriendly to the US a few years ago in the Pacific at a place in Hawaii, and sold onwards to the old Soviet Union 7 axis CNC milling machines used for making hyper silet submarine propellers, and we haven't seen a fall off in popularity of German and Japanese car sales.

Maybe what the real question is is how the certain segments of the US population aquires and accepts and repeats things demonstrably the reverse from the rest of the World, and is so often wrong?

I might gently suggest that the roots of the American perception of unreliabilty of certain foriegn brands, not just French but also Italian and even Swedish, and some captive imports marketed as domestic might be the same roots: Americans in general and mechanics in particular refuse to avail themselves of readily available information; they won't crack open a service book to save their life cause they are convinced from birth I presume that their opinions are always right.

Everbody has a right to their opinions.
All men are created equal.
Therefore all opinions are equal. :)
>
>john nelson

Your results may vary.

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Black Rocket Rally Tires
http://www.blackrockettires.com/

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
I am not sure what to do. I agree with JVL.

I have had two friends with Peugeots, one who regularly drove it from his folk's house in Florida to college in New Mexico. Both cars were 504 Diesels and they were very reliable.

To me, they seemed like fine, solid cars, but very boring.

Peugeot in the US suffered from the same kinds of problems that most relatively small volume imports suffer in the US, among them are lack of dealers resulting in a lack of properly maintained cars.

Renault, on the other hand, sold crap over here. Then again, they sell crap in Europe as well. I rented a Megane for a week in 1998 and the thing was just falling apart.

alan

·
Registered
583 Posts
French Cars in America? Easy.

Selling French cars in the USA should be pretty easy:

1. Don't try to upscale the Japanese.

2. Take styling Q's from Honda and Toyota, then hot-rod 'em.

3. No diesels.

Americans want value and don't like unfamiliar styling. But even Mercedes could not overcome the stigma of a smoking diesel. It just 'aint American.

Rich Smith

Vive le "Pro-le-Ralliat"

1 - 20 of 34 Posts