Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
eating dust taking photos
Joined
·
3,740 Posts
Don't forget the contigents in Russia and Bahrain that have expressed outward desire to have a WRC round, in addition to the revived centeral Africa organization (rebirth of the Safari, probably not as the FIA is getting further and further away from endurance events) and the ever present movements in China and Brazil.


Canada gets brought into the mix a bit when people speculate about Sweden because of the ability to have a consistent snow rally.


Personally I think there should be a pool of about 15 rallies that every year fill 5 of the calendar slots. Events in this pool would include Mexico, Canada, USA, South Africa, Russia, Bahrain, Italy, Sweden, Turkey, Ireland, China, Brazil, Centeral Africa, and a couple others.

How sweet could that be?
 

·
straight at T
Joined
·
2,472 Posts
>
>Personally I think there should be a pool of about 15 rallies
>that every year fill 5 of the calendar slots. Events in this
>pool would include Mexico, Canada, USA, South Africa, Russia,
>Bahrain, Italy, Sweden, Turkey, Ireland, China, Brazil,
>Centeral Africa, and a couple others.
>
>How sweet could that be?

Not very, from an organizer's point of view. Its very hard to build and maintain an event if you only get to do it once every three years. Very hard to justify investing in an infrastructure that only gets used every three years, too. Look how quickly the FIA dropped the concept of rotating events the last time they tried it (and those were established events with existing infrastructure).

Adrian
 

·
eating dust taking photos
Joined
·
3,740 Posts
Oh its completely unrealistic, I agree with that entirely.

Doesn't mean it wouldn't be cool....

The problem is right now there are a lot of good rallies and even more places that would be good for rallies wanting to hold WRC rounds. If the event were part of another FIA championship in addition to a national championship there may be some viability to maintaining a rotating schedule as there may be enough static rally support to maintain the event on the off years.....


Its all in my perfect little never going to happen dream world anyway....
 

·
straight at T
Joined
·
2,472 Posts
>Oh its completely unrealistic, I agree with that entirely.
>
>Doesn't mean it wouldn't be cool....
>
>The problem is right now there are a lot of good rallies and
>even more places that would be good for rallies wanting to
>hold WRC rounds. If the event were part of another FIA
>championship in addition to a national championship there may
>be some viability to maintaining a rotating schedule as there
>may be enough static rally support to maintain the event on
>the off years.....

The FIA actually tried this in the late '90s. Some of the traditional WRC events were only W2L (2L Kit Car World Championship) events. The idea was to reduce the cost to teams by reducing the number of WRC events and rotating them. It didn't last a full rotation cycle (I think it was 1995-1996).

>Its all in my perfect little never going to happen dream world
>anyway....

See above ;-)

Adrian
 

·
eating dust taking photos
Joined
·
3,740 Posts
>>Oh its completely unrealistic, I agree with that entirely.
>>
>>Doesn't mean it wouldn't be cool....
>>
>>The problem is right now there are a lot of good rallies and
>>even more places that would be good for rallies wanting to
>>hold WRC rounds. If the event were part of another FIA
>>championship in addition to a national championship there
>may
>>be some viability to maintaining a rotating schedule as
>there
>>may be enough static rally support to maintain the event on
>>the off years.....
>
>The FIA actually tried this in the late '90s. Some of the
>traditional WRC events were only W2L (2L Kit Car World
>Championship) events. The idea was to reduce the cost to teams
>by reducing the number of WRC events and rotating them. It
>didn't last a full rotation cycle (I think it was 1995-1996).
>
>>Its all in my perfect little never going to happen dream
>world
>>anyway....
>
>See above ;-)
>
>Adrian
>


Ideally there would be 10+ manufacturer teams in my little dream world. No active differentials or suspensions, cars would be so varied that no one car could dominate any one type of event and drivers would really have to drive pitsching the cars all over the place in glorious dust billowing drifts. Mfgr championships would be won with 50 points in a season and drivers perhaps even less. There would be multiple events on every continent and so many events that there HAD to be a rotation process and events would be 3 full days and cover ATLEAST 400 competitive kms not including transits.

Its not a bad dream overall, just really really really unrealistic..........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Don't rule out Jordan either. The late King Hussiens?? son, the Crown Prince, who is also the Minister of Sport and President of the Automobile Association there was in New Zealand for the WRC event to look at the organisation and the Clerk of the Course for the Kiwi event Morrie Chandler is off to Jordan in May to cover their event as an FIA Observer. So, it appears they are well down the track and the FIA has expressed interest in securing a round in the Middle East as part of their globalization of rallying.

Don
 

·
eating dust taking photos
Joined
·
3,740 Posts
I think Bahrain has a better chance than Jordan. They want to expand upon an existing event and already have a big title FIA event in the F1 race. Although with that said that might make a better case for Jordan, 2 big title series events in two different countries.....
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top