Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
I think it takes even more of the endurance out of WRC. First they eliminate the really long rallies from back in the 60's to taking away night stages to this. All to make it more spectator/tv friendly. Personally, I felt it was spectator friendly enough when there were night stages. I understand it made for poor filming conditions, but to me rallying has been the mailman of racing. Through rain, sleet, snow night or day...

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Whether we like the direction WRC is taking or not, it is like all motorsports... evolving and changing to fit the market. This is David Richard's vision of improving the product for the viewing public, and it IS his series. In a way it's a return to WRC of the 70s & 80s, when service was free and the factory teams rebuilt their cars after every stage. The idea that "endurance" was part of rally back then is romantic, but not really the case. This new proposal just brings things out into the open.

WRC rallying has been evolving to emphasize the "racing" aspect of rally. In spite of this, the world's national series seem to be largely hanging on to much of the "endurance" side of our sport.

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
>Whether we like the direction WRC is taking or not, it is
>like all motorsports... evolving and changing to fit the
>market. This is David Richard's vision of improving the
>product for the viewing public, and it IS his series. In a
>way it's a return to WRC of the 70s & 80s, when service was
>free and the factory teams rebuilt their cars after every
>stage. The idea that "endurance" was part of rally back then
>is romantic, but not really the case. This new proposal just
>brings things out into the open.

Oh, Joe come on. The events with 535 stage miles and 2,000 total over 4 to 4 1/2 days weren't Endurance events for the drivers?
They weren't edurance events for the f***ing spectators thousands of which took multiple days off from work and followed the events and camped and bivouacked.
Ive done a couple of 24 hour events with World class competition and they were tests and _mermorable_ tests of endurance at that.

And I know people who were doing those events back in the 70s as either Drivers, co drivers or crew, and Iv'e talked with many who were speccies then.
It was speed within a few 3-5% of Todays cars and double to tripple the disatance.
AND that is what made RALLY UNIQUE.
>
>WRC rallying has been evolving to emphasize the "racing"
>aspect of rally.
NOT EVOLVING, BEING PUSHED AND DRUG ALONG BY A MEGLOMANIC WHO IS IMITATING THE FORMULA OF HIS COUNTRYMAN ECCLESTONE.

And here we had the same imitatation Richard in the directors chair for dragging the US Chapionship into the excellent situation it is now, no importer teams, no TV, no series sponsorship, crony appointments, same sheeet, different cast.

In spite of this, the world's national
>series seem to be largely hanging on to much of the
>"endurance" side of our sport.

Huh? With the short little sprinty events we now have here? 55 minutes of stages on one day and 70 minutes the other???
Joe how many stage miles was POR in 1990?

When Rally loses its uniqueness , it will fade away and it's uniqueness in AUTO sport is the 'real' nature of the setting and the total Team challenge, especially in the point to point format across whole countrys or regions.

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Black Rocket Rally Tires
http://www.blackrockettires.com/

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
>Oh, Joe come on. The events with 535 stage miles and 2,000
>total over 4 to 4 1/2 days weren't Endurance events for the
>drivers?
>They weren't edurance events for the f***ing spectators
>thousands of which took multiple days off from work and
>followed the events and camped and bivouacked.
>Ive done a couple of 24 hour events with World class
>competition and they were tests and _mermorable_ tests of
>endurance at that.
>
>And I know people who were doing those events back in the
>70s as either Drivers, co drivers or crew, and Iv'e talked
>with many who were speccies then.
>It was speed within a few 3-5% of Todays cars and double to
>tripple the disatance.
>AND that is what made RALLY UNIQUE.
>>

Yes, it is what makes rally unique. I'm not arguing that the sport is better or worse today. It is just different, evolving. I competed in the WRC PORs. 2400 miles in 3 days. 800 stage miles. It was a triumph to finish. It was even better to win class. I've also spectated "old style" WRC events. It took weeks of planning and even more endurance than the competitors. All of this was fun, but all of it is gone, and it won't be coming back.

>... BEING PUSHED AND DRUG ALONG BY A MEGLOMANIC
>WHO IS IMITATING THE FORMULA OF HIS COUNTRYMAN ECCLESTONE.
>

True, but it is NASA and Wild West that want to follow in these footsteps. If I had a couple of billion lying around I could (maybe) change it all. But I don't, won't, and can't. We live with what we have, or we quit and move on. Changing things will only come when a few hundred million fans insist on change by staying away or withholding their cash.

> In spite of this, the world's national
>>series seem to be largely hanging on to much of the
>>"endurance" side of our sport.
>
>Huh? With the short little sprinty events we now have here?
>55 minutes of stages on one day and 70 minutes the other???
>Joe how many stage miles was POR in 1990?

I was only making the point that we expect our cars to last longer than one stage. This was not always the case in WRC. In the WRC PORs and Olympii(?) we would service and change weak parts and tires after EVERY stage. Transits were very liberal and we used three crews. The only things expected to "endure" were the drivers and the engine block. WRC and most US and other nations' rallies expect cars and tires to last much longer without attention from their mechanics. RIM is the best example in the US. This actually gives the privateer with little resource but time a measure of "equality" with the big bucks teams. That so few of them use this to their advantage is a shame.

>When Rally loses its uniqueness , it will fade away and it's
>uniqueness in AUTO sport is the 'real' nature of the setting
>and the total Team challenge, especially in the point to
>point format across whole countrys or regions.

Yep, it will.

·
Registered
240 Posts
>When Rally loses its uniqueness , it will fade away and it's
>uniqueness in AUTO sport is the 'real' nature of the setting
>and the total Team challenge, especially in the point to
>point format across whole countrys or regions.

I agree 100% JV bring back the bad a$$ racing!! Its what makes rally rally.

>John Vanlandingham
>Seattle, WA. 98168
>
>Vive le Prole-le-ralliat
>
>Black Rocket Rally Tires
>http://www.blackrockettires.com/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts