Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to find an NTSC version of this DVD for a bit, and figured I should just post and see if someone can help me out. My only DVD player is my PS2 so I need the NTSC copy. Any suggestions?

James Bond

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just bought the DVD myself (PAL, Region Free), and have had mixed results. Note that I don't have any PAL equipment; all this was on NTSC electronics:

- Works fine on my XBOX with a Phillips / Magnavox TV

- Didn't work on my Mom and Dad's older home DVD player (one of the first generation models, forget the brand name)

- Works on my home Dell computer with a DVD drive using Intervideo DVD software
- Didn't work with Real Player
- Didn't work with Microsoft Media Player

- Works on my work laptop (Toshiba Tecra 8100).

I guess the biggest thing I learned was that it should work with any computer with a DVD drive and the right software.

I was most surprised that it worked on my XBOX.

-Josh

·
CR>R5 into L3- 100 Finish
626 Posts
Damn...
I thought there was no system differences with DVD's.
Learned something new.

Whiplash RallyeSport

·
R6 300 FOC!
1,513 Posts
DVD's CAN be formatted in either PAL or NTSC (actually, they use 'regions' to define the formatting). However, nowadays most of the DVD's are 'all-region'...meaning they work on 99% of all DVD players (some old players will have trouble). We just produced an all-regions DVD, and haven't had anyone return one due to format problems. We sell it in North America, Europe, Australia, Japan, etc.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I know PAL DVDs will work in all computer systems. I don't know exactly what it is, but when in London I was able to rent DVDs from the library fine there and watch them on my laptop.

I wasn't sure if there would be a problem on the PS2 because PS2s are region specific (The UK PS2 is different from ours). I think I will just get the DVD and give it a try, but I wanted to ask around before I spent the money. I will let you know how it goes.

Warwick, what DVD are you selling? Is it rally related? I think I am going a bit overboard on buying rally related material lately. I am looking on ebay for a UK PS2 so I can play WRCIII and CMR4.

Thank you for the help
James

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
> DVD's CAN be formatted in either PAL or NTSC (actually, they use 'regions' to define the formatting).

Actually you're wrong. They are two different things.

PAL/NTSC affects the number of scan lines on the DVD. NTSC players typically need a video RAM upgrade to be able to play PAL discs.

Some players do handle PAL/NTSC region 1 or 0 (free) discs just fine.

Region encoding is a restriction on which country's players the disc can be played in.

I have a cheap Rat Shack "Cyberhome" PAL/NTSC Region 1 player for the bedroom.

I also have a Sony DVD-NS730P progression scan, 110/240V, PAL/NTSC region free player from Australia. It is supposedly "region 4" on the box but that turns out to be "wink wink region 4" in Australia due to some federal law in favor of the consumer, not the copyright owner.

WRC Reloaded is PAL Region 0 and should play in most PCs. Try updating the DVD drivers for your machine, and try different CODECs if you're using a software CODEC. Also might be an idea to upgrade to Windows Media Player 9.

All of my foreign DVDs from UK and Australia play in my PC, of course you consume a region change in the settings if you do this. I believe they are ways around that.

Kick ass disc too!

Glenn

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Warwick, if you do something with TV and rally next year let me know. I have a background in tv/radio so I would love to lend whatever help I can.

I don't think I can update the codec on my PS2, so I am stuck with the "buy and see" method. I will let you know what goes on.

JB

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you are watching DVD's on your PS2 (I do all the time) and are having issues with region lock out garbage, then I think that this nifty little disc will help you alot, in addition to having many other useful features. Follow this link and you will at least know what the packaging looks like should you see it in a gaming store (Babbages, EBX, Software Etc., Toys-R-Us...).

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=50014419

PlayStation 2 GameShark 2 (Version 3)

Features New user interface, ease of navigation, and enhanced graphics
Preloaded with over 16,000+ Codes for over 300 Playstation 2 Games
Packed with over 300 game saves to download onto your memory card.
Full Memory Card Manager with a powerful data compressor packing even more data into a single memory card (versions 3.1 and higher)
* DVD Region free plays DVDs from any region of the world *
With over 1.8 million registered users the interface is Continually updating Codes from New Game Releases

I hope that helps, or at least points you in the right direction! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts