Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Volkswagen's Polo R WRC looks set to make its World Rally Championship debut on Rally d'Italia in October after an agreement has been reached between the German manufacturer and the FIA.

There had been speculation that the Polo R WRC would be seen for the first time on its home round of the series, next month's Rallye Deutschland, but such rumours have been scotched by the team's marketing chief Stefan Moser.

VW had been trying to run the Polo as zero car (course car) on the penultimate round of this year's World Rally Championship in Sardinia, but that request had been turned down.

"We can't run as zero car," said Moser, "but it looks like we will take a test run in Sardinia. We will not run competitively; they [the FIA] allow us to start the race, but we will not take times. We get the answer from the FIA on this subject this week."

The precise logistics of how and where a single Polo R WRC driven by Sebastien Ogier will feature in the running order has yet to be clarified

Ogier was pleased with the news of his Italian outing.

"I don't know too much detail about this," said the Frenchman, "but it was disappointing not run as zero car, so this could be a good solution. OK, we can't be in the classficiation, but I'm sure somehow it will be possible to finally make the comparison from our car against the others."

click: autosport.com/news/id/101140

·
RallyX Weenie
672 Posts
Maybe this is it, but I'm surprised the FIA isn't jumping through every hoop possible to keep VW happy so that they actually join the WRC. (Yes, I know they're "comitted", but there's always room for mind-changing)

[I suppose it's possible the FIA doesn't think the WRC is in as dire a situation as just about everyone else seems to...]

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
If I had to guess, and this is just a guess, I'd say there are aspects of fairness in competition in that you don't want to commit to a season of competition and then, at the last minute, have an unknown factor thrown into the mix. Also consider that each manufacturer pay 300,000 euro to register for the season, and then 21,000 per car per event - or about us$700,000 per season in registration fees - those are loud voices to be heard.
When it comes to the zero car duties, the FIA regulations clearly say 0 cars can't be driven by P1 or P2 drivers. I certainly wouldn't want a top level driver in a fully prepared car, and a testing agenda, as a course car on an event I'm organizing.

·
KB-AG in WRC? Awesome!
702 Posts
I have a feeling this is just VW trying to get some ROI for developing a car for regulations that are soon to go bye-bye should Ford really jump to IRC and effectively junk the WRC series.

Suzuki redeux.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts