Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

The Polish website's www.Autoklub.com and www.rallyonline.pl is reporting that there are currently problems with television coverage for the upcoming WRC season. Apparently, European EUROSPORT has cut coverage completely. SpeedTV is not showing a schedule for Monte Carlo.

It seems like every year one of us starts a post like this one, and every year, we eventually have decent coverage. But these seem to be real problems. In my opinion, all of these changes are destabilizing the World Rally Championship.

Simon

·
Registered
21 Posts
There are some rather frenzied threads on both Speed TV's message boards and elsewhere (NASIOC, etc) regarding the apparent total lack of coverage planned for this year. No one seems to have said anything concrete yet, though as you say there have been some fairly gloomy reports - including Nicky Grist saying he has not been retained as a presenter this year (although that could be simply because he and Colin plan to compete, I don't know).

·
Registered
334 Posts
Even on rallyforum.com they are getting very antsy as its seems very little of europe will have any coverage if Eurosport doesn't ink a deal.
It seems very strange after WRC.com was trumpeting the viewing numbers on their site more than once and it seemed to be quite popular. Maybe they are just asking for too much money this year. Plus I guess they are so few manufacturer teams.

·
Registered
344 Posts
>Bingo. But we all know how awful it is to have manufacturers
>involved in rallying so we must be better off now ...

:7 I love the sarcasm.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Its great how people #### about manu's but the end result is less coverage and a devolution of the sport. But then again some people must love that.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Eurosport is showing the Monte on their calendar for this weekend.
Still nothing from Speed.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Scott Molvar #899
'93 Nissan Sentra
(sexy primer grey)

http://rallydirt.com

·
Registered
678 Posts
lol, so the US is completely cut off from the WRC this year. No TV and no DVD. I know you can get the DVD recap from Europe, but for most people it's too complicated, what with them using the PAL standard and Region 2. They better not complain about the surge in WRC video piracy on the internet. You can find many WRC events on bit torrent, and I imagine it will be even easier to get now since most of Europe seems to have no coverage either.

Edit: Never mind what I said about Europe. Eurosport TV is going to show the WRC.

·
TG Dog/dogbox /LSD for any car
585 Posts
..and Eurosport made the deal yeah! If we get lucky I'll be able to host on my website..maybe :)

and some more news:

Rally boss rejects talk of crisis

Subaru are one of only two full works teams in World Rally
World Rally boss David Richards has hit back at talk of a crisis in the sport by insisting that the 2006 series will be at its most exciting for years.
Only two full factory teams - Subaru and Ford - line up for the season opener in Monte Carlo this weekend.

World champions Citroen joined Peugeot, Mitsubishi, Skoda and Hyundai in pulling the plug on their works teams.

"I think you are going to see a world rally with far more different faces on the podium," said Richards.

"You will see private competitors competing when they've never had the chance before.

"In many respects this is what the general public want, this is what builds demand and interest in motorsport."

To my mind it is a step forwards not a step backwards

David Richards
World Rally boss

Sebastien Loeb dominated last year and, although his Citroen team will no longer have a works presence, the Frenchman will still be behind the wheel of a Xsara as he looks for a third-straight driver's title.

The private Kronos Racing team are running his challenge and Richards sees Loeb's change in circumstance as a sign of the series' health.

"I think there is an extraordinary misunderstanding from most people," he said.

"Citroen last year had a factory team based in their factory outside Paris and they entered two cars. Sebastien Loeb won the world championship.

"This year the very same cars are being entered, in fact there's a third car, the very same drivers have been entered, but it's coming out of a private operation in Belgium.

"Now to my mind that is a step forwards not a step backwards. If anyone who understands it differently I would like that explained to me."

Angry Martin wants rally overhaul

Driver Markko Martin has been openly critical of the state of the rally series.

But Jacques Regis, president of the World Rally Championship commission of motorsport's governing body the FIA, joined Richards in defending the sport.

"I am very pleased with the depth and quality of the entry we have for Monte Carlo," he said.

"The top 20 crews all have the potential to be on the podium, so I believe we have an exciting season ahead of us."

rally forever

1 - 11 of 11 Posts