Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if Speed Channel is covering the WRC this year? Monte Carlo is next week and I can't find any info on it on their site.

rally_x

·
Registered
926 Posts
This is second hand: Heard from unnamed Speed employee - SpeedTV is no longer going to carry WRC...

I guess they need the space to do round table talk and tobacco spitting episodes with people who may or may not have some affiliation with NASCAR, just in case there is some mystery as yet uncovered about how one goes about turning left...

...or maybe its because all the manufacturers seem to have departed WRC.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I was afraid of. Well, I guess I no longer have a reason to watch that channel anymore.

I don't understand why NASCRAP can't have its own channel and have another one for all the other good racing; a Speed2 Channel.

At least OLN covered Dakar. Their coverage was actually ppretty good.

rally_x

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yes, OLN coverage in Canada was good, at least better than nothing. If I remember the host broadcaster coverage from a few years ago, and what I overheard on the OLN coverage,they were doing direct interviews from the bikes, cars, and trucks as the teams went through the dunes. The only interviews I saw this year were static ones by the bikes or cars with the American riders/drivers. Nothing personal, but I would have loved to hear from Carlos Sainz,Miki Biasion, Markku Alen,etc. rather than Jonah, the bike rider from Washington State. Nothing either from Alfie Cox, who the host broadcast 'loved' when he was on a bike. I thought it would be cheaper to pick up the host broadcast signal with whoever was doing coverage than listen to Kirsten Gum and the guy:(Somebody) Hummer, the folks from OLN. Love the names though! Maybe the host broadcast ran 60 minutes and OLN didn't want to sacrifice the time.:-( :(

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm really glad OLN is doing their own coverage. Though it would be nice to hear from the others and it dose annoy me that he can't pronounce any ones names correctly. Having them focus on the Americans gives them the marketing they need to be allowed to run. I would very much prefer that than hearing what Carlos thought of getting lost. Just think what it would be like if they worn't, the american drivers and riders might be a footnote every so often and that's it.

·
Achievement Unlocked!
887 Posts
Based on what I see on the SPEED Forums - everyone has already been 'up-in-arms' and they are doing nothing about it.
Soon you will see the SCCA club stuff go away...
I already notice a lack of supermodifieds and sprint cars - So even the roundy round channel is forgetting about its roundy-round roots.

Does anyone know of a direct email for suggestions/comments to SPEED? I don't want to get into the fray in the forums, and their superawesomeflashy website lists no email addys that I can find.

My situation has almost been the same for the last 5 years. SPEED is available ONLY on digital cable - and not on my basic cheap (or free) cable. (First in NH, then in CA.) So I need to get a cable box and pay $38 a month to just watch SPEED. Food Network and other channels are nice - but I could live without, and the only REAL reason I have digital cable is for SPEED & WRC.

Now - what's left...
OLN - Rally America Coverage (cool - but I don't plan to run any RA events anytime soon) Will be on DVD.
SPEED - Motorsports Mundial - USRC Rally, British / Irish Rally, etc. Is this worth $38 a month? When will this be cancelled?
OLN - DAKAR, It's swell coverage. I'm a fan - but I've missed coverage of it for how many years?? It's a week of coverage for a year of cable.

It won't be the first time my niche sport didn't pay the bills... - Kris

"Rally with the People!"
http://rallynotes.com

·
CR>R5 into L3- 100 Finish
626 Posts
SPEED has decided to cover only the US racing events.
They are still undecided if they will broadcast F1.
Aussie Supercars V8 is just a fill-in late night.
They dropped WRC, DTM and other international motorsport.
Motorcycle racing is limited to Supercross.
Oh I almost forgot, they are now broadcasting "BOBSLEDING".
We are so lucky!

Whiplash Rallye Sport
(Rallying is not a crime)

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
>SPEED has decided to cover only the US racing events.

Several years ago (5 or 6?) when Speed was called Speedvision (or maybe it was called something else... I'm not sure of the name) they showed rally, F1, drag racing, TransAm, etc. They also showed bobsledding, other stuff, lawnmower racing, and one of my favorites... airplane racing.

I remember rally people were writing e-mails to Speedvision complaining about all the non-rally stuff, especially aircraft related stuff. Be careful what you ask for.

The recent WRC coverage was okay, but nothing to write home about. I won't miss it much.

I would much rather see their show "Legends of Motor Sport", Dakar, and lots of smaller rallies in Ireland, Poland, Russia, South America, Asia, etc.

I have nothing against NASCAR, but have no interest in it. I say good riddance to Speed, now. My cable company can replace Speed with basket weaving for all I care.

As for NASA and R-A selling videos and online stuff.... that's fine, but I'm not going to pay for it. Put it on the web for free and see if your fan-base increases; it might.

·
626 Posts
Yes it was "Speedvision".
I like all kinds of motorsport, be it Lawnmower over Shifter Carts and Rallye to Planes.
And Yes, the coverage of the WRC was not "World Class", but,... it was better than nothing.
I would like to see other events and also other rallye events from around the world.
"Legends of Motorsport" is like a broken record at the moment. I think I've seen the 1962 Alpine Rallye 34 times. It's becoming the "Christmas Story" of rallye.

Whiplash Rallye Sport

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
>"Legends of Motorsport" is like a broken record at the moment.
> I think I've seen the 1962 Alpine Rallye 34 times. It's
>becoming the "Christmas Story" of rallye.

I didn't mean to imply they should keep repeating the same "Legends of Motor Sport" shows.

The Group B cars era should have its own movie called "It's a Wonderful Life"

·
626 Posts
I second that!

Whiplash Rallye Sport

·
Registered
678 Posts
We could also be lobbying ESPN to pick it up. ESPN broadcasts the WRC in some other countries, like I believe Mexico, Brazil, and probably many others. If all else fails, maybe ISC would consider pay-per-view? Anyone have contacts at ESPN or ISC?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts