1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
R6 300 FOC!
1,513 Posts
What else are you going to do with a hatchback/coupe? Ford tried the whale-tail for a couple seasons...it obviously didn't work. Until someone gets REALLY imaginative, you'll likely see the cars become more and more similar because there is currently one design style that goes the quickest. Hopefully folks like Hyundai, Subaru, Mitsu will keep the sedan style looks.

·
Registered
630 Posts
>imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but this is
>getting a bit unimaginative. At this rate by '05 all WRC
>cars will have the same template shape ala NASCAR, yech.

Well, WRC is really a Spec series so it is not all that strange. Didnt the new Ford guy that designed that car just come from Pug?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I don't think it's necessarily imitation, simply evolution. There is only (1) "ideal" aerodynamic shape for any given car's physical size envelope. Teams that are investing HUGE chunks of money on aerodynamic development and spending lotsa hours in the windtunnel are slowly progressing toward that ideal. Given a long enough period of time, all cars with the same basic dimensions (wheelbase, track, height) would evolve into very similar creatures.

Sure you could try to do things drastically differently, but look what that bought Jaguar in F1...

Just my comment, and no I don't know what that "ideal" shape is for a rallycar, and if I did, I'd be getting paid a lot more than I am now.

Greg,
Crew Chief
1989 GTX #291

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat!!!

·
Registered
768 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with the cars. All look good (actually, very good!)and are different. NASCAR crap is all the same...
- It's not teams fault air behaves same way in everybody's wind tunnel...
- Even SKODA Fabia (no more "Fat Fabio") looks great
- FOCUS' new front is a bit ugly, though. Will be good at Swedish snow rally opening the road!

·
Registered
415 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts