Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any pictures of the WRC Corolla that was at Rallye International de Charlevoix?
I?m looking for technical type pics, suspension, roll cage, interior setup, etc.
Action shots would be cool too!

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
Morgan:

At Charlevoix, were you standing at the corner on stage #1 where Pat Richard crashed?

Doug Woods

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>Yes

Morgan:

I was there also and judging from some of your photos, we must have been standing beside each other at various times. Too bad we did not know the other was there. We could have had some good conversations between lulls in the action.

How is this for an idea on future rallies? When specialstage.com members are out spectating at a corner, we should have our own battle cry along the lines of "anyone else here from specialstage.com?". That way we all might get to meet more members personally as opposed to electronically.

Doug Woods

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
How about Specialstage.com hats and a secret handshake?

Doug,
I was the guy carrying the camera, you must have seen me:9

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
Shouldn't that be a "double secret probation" handshake?

Kent Gardam

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>Doug,
>I was the guy carrying the camera, you must have seen me:9

Morgan:

I was the only guy at the corner without a camera!

Doug Woods

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool pics Morgan, Thanks!

The stats on the Corolla states that the car has a sequntial shift gear box. Did he have to change to a regular floor mounted shifter or did the Charlevoix event organizers look the other way?

Current CARS and SCCA rules don't allow sequential shift gear boxes!

·
Registered
162 Posts
just because the shifter is on the floor doesn't mean that the gearbox isn't seqential. besides, sequential shifting is legal in the US as long as the diffs or gearbox isn't active.

Bob Campbell
[email protected]
BCR Rallysport
Colorado Springs, CO

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry Bob I sould have been a little more, clear about the floor mounted shifter thing.
I have to dissagree with you on the sequential shifter thing though. If you read the 2002 SCCA performance rally rules, Article 10, Appendix O, Page 145.

It states,
C. Gearchange
1.The use of sequential gearchange mechanisms is not permitted.

On the other hand if you interpet the rules one way it says that sequential gearchange is allowed for Group 2 and 5.

Personally I would like to see sequential gearboxes allowed.

-Darryl

·
Registered
162 Posts
Daryl,
Ididn't realize you were only talking of open class cars. I beleive that chris Havas has sequential shifting in his golf anf I know of a yellow golf that was in Maine (and a couple of other rallies)with sequential shift. Are you sure that it's not legal in a open class club car?

Bob Campbell
[email protected]
BCR Rallysport
Colorado Springs, CO

·
Registered
665 Posts
>On the other hand if you interpet the rules one way it says
>that sequential gearchange is allowed for Group 2 and 5.
>

It looks to be the same way for CARS:
E 3 e) prohibits sequential gearboxes for Open class.

There's no such rule in the Group 2 section. In fact, F 5 states that trannies are unrestricted.

Darryl, no Tall Pines for you guys?

Robin

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not sure about open class club car.
The yellow golf that you saw in Maine with sequential shift, do you know if it was a sequential gearbox or sequential shift mechanism on a regular shift box?
The reason I ask is that I've had a design for a sequential shift mechanism on a regular box in the back of my head for a while but kind of forgot about it cause I didn't think it was allowed.

Robin,
The timing belt jumped on the Talon just this past monday only hours before I was going to fax in my entry. The car will most likely be fixed by next weekend but I don't have the funds for the rally after I buy the new cylinder head:(
I'm going to be volunteering at the service area, probably see you there.
Good Luck
Darryl

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hey Darryl, nice to hear that you got your Talon going for rally. Too bad about the timing belt Ouch!

I am working at the Pines this year again. I will be working at scruitneering Friday night at Canadian Tire. Drop by and say hi!

Dave C

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Sequental Gearboxes

The Yellow Golf is a 6sp Real Sequental Gear Box by Gemini?

JD Ackerly has a 6sp golf sequental in a white golf, his by Quaife.

Scott the owner of the yellow golf also has a white golf with yet another 6sp sequental gearbox, that car has not rallyed in the US yet.

In Gp5 and Gp2 Sequental gearboxes are permited.

Derek

·
Who would JVL ban!!!!
127 Posts
RE: Sequental Gearboxes

Some one can correct me if I am wrong but isn't the yellow Golf an ex-Alister McRae British Rally Championship car (VW Motorsport) a proper F2 class car.

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
RE: Sequental Gearboxes

>Some one can correct me if I am wrong but isn't the yellow
>Golf an ex-Alister McRae British Rally Championship car (VW
>Motorsport) a proper F2 class car.

Yes, it is. BTW, JD's car has a dogbox, not a sequential (unless he spent an awful lot of money that I'm sure he doesn't have ;-)).

Adrian

1 - 20 of 27 Posts