Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.worldrallynews.info/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1025104919,61369,

World Rally Cars and turbocharged 4 wheel drive Gp A cars will be prohibited from FIA Regional Championship rallies from January 1st 2003.

Seeing as how the USA will part of the Asian Pacific Regional Championship soon, looks like GrpN is KING!!!
Resistance is futile join GrpN. }>

1)Does this mean the Hyundia team will be "no more"??

2)Will this delay the US adopting FIA rules?

3)No more 4WD RX-7's, 400hp 323's, 500hp Volvo's, etc...

I'm happy about the ruling, HOW DO YOU FEEL?

Sincerely,
Simon Sirin

ps. You can still have a GrpA FWD Golf. ;)

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Im confused, how does this affect us? We run neither GpA cars, nor does anybody run WRC spec cars. Only Open Class, and N. Neither of which would be affected by this ruling. I understood it as, privateers will no longer be able to buy McRaes old Focus and dominate the Greek or Belgium Championship or BRC or something. Correct me if Im wrong, FIA stuff scares me.

·
Registered
272 Posts
RE: WRC and GrpA prohibited in 6 months... SO?

I don't see how this involves the US scene at all.

Hyundai will not be affected, they run Open class (non-FIA class) not A or WRC. The only class that is run here that the FIA have any say in is Grp N.

I don't know if CNAR counts as a Regional Championship, but that is only open to Grp N as far as I know, so no problem there either.

I might be missing something.

Dave Kean
[email protected]

·
Registered
163 Posts
This shouldn't affect us at all and for the reasons the others stated.

But Simon, why are you happy with the decision? Do you not want to have Open class? I thought your car was finally going that direction rather than the Gp N direction.

BTW your tarp fell off your shell and when are you going to finish the poor thing?

Bradney A. Boli
Over Exposure Racing
Honda Accord #311

·
Registered
64 Posts
This change effects Regional championships only (Asia-Pacific, European Championship, Middle-East championship, and current-vapor-championship CNAR). It has no effect on any national championship series, including the US or BRC as the national sanctioning bodies (SCCA, MSA, etc.) determine what classes are legal for the national championships. The Australian championship will have Group N as its top class starting next year, but that was already announced a long time back. Should be pretty boring spectating...

-mark nelson

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
>This shouldn't affect us at all and for the reasons the
>others stated.

Is it not apparent that the US will next few years fall under FIA
rules??? That on a national level FIA will govern?
If the US ever hopes to run a WRC event would it not seem
logical that the US would use FIA rules, instead of our own on
a national level?
I don't know. i'm just throwing out idea's here.

I'm not so concerned about myself as how this will affect
our national level of competition, if GrpN is the highest
level in the land.

>But Simon, why are you happy with the decision? Do you not
>want to have Open class? I thought your car was finally
>going that direction rather than the Gp N direction.

I'm just looking for an excuse to stir the pot. :p
I'm still hoping for GrpN. Open as a catch all class.

>BTW your tarp fell off your shell and when are you going to
>finish the poor thing?

Thanks Brad, I replaced it Saturday. :p

Sincerely,
Simon

·
Registered
135 Posts
The Grp A/WRC rule in question.

This is the text of the new rule. Note the provision for a waiver.

"Unless a waiver requested by the Region and granted by the FIA, for application from 1 January 2003, the principle of prohibiting cars of Group A with 4-wheel drive and turbocharged engines (including World Rally Cars) has been approved for Regional Championship rallies (European, African, Middle East and Asia Pacific Championships). Furthermore, it is accepted that the Manufacturers' Commission, together with the Technical Commission, will be responsible for preparing homologation regulations for the introduction of cars of which the costs and performance shall be similar to those of Group N cars with 4-wheel drive and turbocharged engines."

This rule does directly effect any North American national championships.

North America will not be part of the Asian-Pacific regional championsip.

John K. Shirley

1 - 7 of 7 Posts