Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any news regarding WRC coming to America soon? I have dipped out of rally two years ago for college. A couple years ago people were talking about WRC coming. What's the word on the streets?

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
>Is there any news regarding WRC coming to America soon? I
>have dipped out of rally two years ago for college. A couple
>years ago people were talking about WRC coming.

Mexico is North America.

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Mexico

>I think Mexico is in central america.

Also think which 3 countries are part of NAFTA (NORTH American Free Trade Agreement).

press on,

·
Dirt surfer
1,367 Posts
Only thing wrong with WRC Corona Rallye Mexico is...not enough Norteamericanos (i.e., Yanquis aka US crews) running in it. My team partner went down to watch this year, and his main reaction was, "no more spectating, we gotta find a way to race this thing!"

GpN, PCWRC, rent a Renault Clio and run at the back, whatever, we gonna find a way.

Mexico is a totally car-mad country, with a looong history of racing on public roads. It is a country not run by (and running from) lawyers. Rallye Mex is just the latest craziness in a long line of loco events. NOT to be missed.

Dave G

"...Embrace loose gravel, beware big trees..."

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
>>I think Mexico is in central america.
>
>I'm only 58 yr. old, but for as long as I've been alive,
>Mexico has always been part of North America. Central America
>begins at Guatemala.

Wrongo! Central America starts in California and Arizona.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RE: Mexico

" The World Championship's only central American event was new last year..."
-2004 Subaru WRC Review Booklet, pg #7, Copyright Fuji Heavy Industries.

This was regarding March 11-13 2005 Corona Rally Mexico. But, it certainly is in America, so I think it is a very great thing for WRC. There certainly are plenty of rally fans down there and it's not too far to travel from Oregon :)

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts

> This was regarding March 11-13 2005 Corona Rally Mexico. But,
>it certainly is in America,

But there was an event in America long before Rally Mexico. Of course, Argentina is a little bit further away...

The real question is does Mexico achieve the FIA's desires regarding a (North) American event?

Adrian

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

It seems that WRC is slowly moving north; will it stay in Mexico? Will it skip the U.S. and land in Canada?

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
RE:Canada WRC

>It seems that WRC is slowly moving north; will it stay in
>Mexico? Will it skip the U.S. and land in Canada?

During the past couple years that you were skipping geography class, the two Canadian events that had any real chance of WRC bid ran themselves into the ground chasing it. Now, two excellent rallies are lost to N. American competitors, most who would have not even been able to enter if the WRC ever came. Entry fees were steep. Organizers had to travel to existing WRC events as part of their bid and also pay to brown-nose FIA observers at their event. Someone had to pick up these costs and the events went bankrupt.
The FIA format was not very N.American friendly. At the time there were few GrN cars that meet FIA specifications. The 20 minute services didn't allow much time for servicing as we didn't have a hoard of servicecrew that WRC teams have and a simple repair caused small teams to DNF. And to be FIA compliant, Rally de Quebec held each service in Quebec City meaning many long boring racegas guzzling one-hour transits several times each day.

While it would be excellent for publicity and our own marketing to have a WRC round here, I wonder if its really worth it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RE:Canada WRC

Lancia rally-god speaks. Thank you for wisdom... This all very interesting for me to hear about. Information is modern currency ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts