Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Official pre-sweep vehicle
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Much of what follows was posted in the Pacific Northwest and Pacific Southwest Region discussion areas. Please forgive the cut-and-paste.

I am planning a coefficient 2 rally in Mendocino County, California, to be held in late June or early August, 2011 (a few weeks before or a few weeks after Idaho). The rally would have about 40 stage miles and less than 20 miles of transit. We would recce Saturday morning, run four stages Saturday afternoon, BBQ dinner at the service area, and then run the four stages again after dark. Trailer out on Friday and back home on Sunday.

The entry fee will be as low as I can make it and still break even. I plan to have some sponsors to help with the costs. My guess right now is around $500, less if I strike it rich with the sponsors, and more if I don't. The price will include stage notes. Rally America and NASA Rally Sport are both under consideration at this time.

I don't plan to offer a towing allowance because EVERYONE will have a long tow, however, I also don’t plan to have any official activities Friday or Sunday, so you can take your time with the tow and save some gas.

Due to limited parking at the service area, I will probably limit the number of entries to 20 cars, but that will keep it cozy and allow two minutes between cars.

Did I mention the roads are very car-friendly? No rocks or ruts, and no long straights. A couple of single cautions, but no doubles or triples that I saw. It should be a good clean rally for new teams, and a good course for experienced teams to practice their skills or test new equipment.

How does that sound for a coefficient 2 event? Would you enter the rally? What would make it worth the long tow?

·
Ibumpedmyknee,icannotcont inue
2,066 Posts
Hell yes I would. I love Mendocino. I've been looking for a reason to go back there. I say run the stages again for a second day. There is nothing wrong with running the stages over and over again. Especially considering how much Rally is dwindling these days. You're already doing the run around so you mind as well. I'd me more inclined to go if there was two days of racing and so would everyone else. I think you should cap at 30 cars. 20 is really just a party.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Rally might be dwindling where you guys are but we have a glut of events out here on the other side of the Great Basin, If Mendo is too far by itself, maybe some of you Colorado guys could make North Nevada- 2 days 100 miles of stages... then a quick flight back from Reno and you could be back for Idaho and Mendocino all should be a few weeks apart from one another, these three events are all less than a days tow from one another (well, Mendocino to Idaho is a longish day) and all run on very car-friendly roads, just something to think about...

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
Oregon Trail, North Nevada, Mendocino, then Idaho.
Tow car out for OT. After the event, take the car and drop it off in Reno. Round trip ticket from Reno to Denver. Returning back to Reno for the rally, afterward take it up and leave it in San Fran. Round trip ticket back to Denver, back to San Fran for Mendocino rally. Then Boise after the rally. Return back to Denver for a quick reprep, then head out in August for Ojibwe. Sounds like a perfect schedule, no flight should be more than $200 and you're picking out the best rally roads in the region and not having to tow too far.
I'm working out the budget and figuring out logistics now. Factor in around $250-350 for a rental truck and trailer for each move. Probably around $100 per month for each storage space between events, though organizers might be able to find free storage. Of course, all you nancies would have to learn how to pack everything you need for rallying into the rally car like I am able to do with the Merkur.

·
Left 4 into beachball
1,920 Posts
Of course, all you nancies would have to learn how to pack everything you need for rallying into the rally car like I am able to do with the Merkur.
Is that what you're calling it? Most of those parts need to be ON your car, not IN it.

What about looking into renting a couple "POD" units. I had someone think about doing that for CORE so they wouldn't have to drive their race car out there every time they wanted to play.

Dave

·
Registered
297 Posts
the real answer is- we work with other agencies, the forest service is not the only outfit that has to manage millions of acres.

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
Might be easier to just move to California...

I might look for a teaching job there when i am done with school.
Fuck that! If you want to move anywhere, move to the PNW.

Mitch. They're probably going to get around the forest service issue the same way we would if we wanted to hold another rally. Use roads that aren't owned by or on forest service land. :) The BLM is what you'd want to google.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Id go to that one - Family just down the Road in Santa Rosa. Im sure they would put a few people up plus my father in law is an Italian Chef.

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
By getting drunk and putting it off another year?
You mean by working full time, trying to find time to start a company, trying to rebuild two rally cars, having a social life and girlfriend, doing video production, and going to school and drinking.

I'd consider the Mendocino event just on the basis of location and Abbey would have something to do in San Fran with one of her best friends while I'm up playing in Mendocino.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts