Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Urgent response needed

NWR is considering all options to salavage something for Dryad.
One option is to change the routebook into some sort of gimmick TSD rally. But we'd only do this if enough people would come. So please reply by Thursday, as that is the deadline organizers have set for a final decision about Dryad this year.
No matter what, the welcome party at Big-E's on Friday and the pizza feed on Sunday are still on. Hope to see you there.

Rick

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
RE: Urgent response needed

I think I will pass, not that I do not think it is a good idea but I am going to do the event in Canada and I am running a bit behind in getting the new car done. Throw in a Business trip back to NY getting back a few days before Dryad, well there you have it, I could finish the car in time but since I have the other option I am taking it.

Derek Bottles

·
Registered
901 Posts

Don't do it as a gimmick, do it as a full-on TSD rally in the tradition of Nite on Bald Mountain, Thunderbird, and Totem. You already have the roads, and the route book; you just need to add speeds and do the calcs. Road marshals and time control people could be checkpoints. Easiest would be passage controls, the kind where competitors don't have to stop at the checkpoint.

There are plenty of people up in that area who are fantastic TSD rallymasters, tap them! :)

I think we'd come up if it were a TSD, but then again, we're crazy.

:) Kristen

·
If money were no object
272 Posts

I agree with Kristen, full tsd.

I am not a TSD person, I prefer flat out as opposed to controlled.

HOWEVER!! If this is necessary to help keep this event alive and keep the locals happy... I am willing to do whatever it takes!!!

If this means eating pizza and drinking beer... Damn it, I'll take one for the team!! Sacrifice the body!!! :p

Steven Perret
Car# 226
Driftin4 Racing
[email protected]

If you want to maim the fastest growing motor-sport in the SCCA, continue to crucify the entry level.

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Yeah! WA version of T-bird

Years ago 1984 Wild West was run with a piggy back event at the back as a "target time" type event. Loads of fun!!
We should do that more often.
John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Black Rocket Rally Tires
http://www.blackrockettires.com/

·
Registered
352 Posts
RE: Yeah! WA version of T-bird

Whoa, that's only a week after No Alibi--a 2-day gravel rally to Spokane and back. Regardless, if my car survives NA (engine's acting a little funny) then I may be down for another gravel TSD at Dryad.

I posted a thread on the front of Northwest Auto Sports to see if there's interest outside the performance rally crowd for such an event.

Ryan Douthit
Northwest Auto Sports
http://www.nwautosports.com

Edited for spelling.

·
Registered
291 Posts

Sure why not..I hope it will be cheaper then!! ;)

Any excuse to do something would be much appreciated!!!

Tina

·
Registered
946 Posts

>Sure why not..I hope it will be cheaper then!! ;)
>
>Any excuse to do something would be much appreciated!!!
>
>Tina

How about... Begin Cast 70? Can you say "brisk" tsd... Kind of like the origional POR rally's?

G

·

Although it sounds like an interesting idea,
caution might be the order of the day.

Regardless of the type of rally it seems to me
that putting a bunch of rabid Pro/Club rallyists
on the same roads as the cancelled Club rallies
without helmets, closed roads, and the other
safety measures for a Pro/Club rally could be
a prescription for disaster.

ClubRally has been cancelled for the time being.
If you were to have automobile accidents with
local residents RoadRally sanctions from SCCA
might be affected.

·
Registered
630 Posts

Trevor has the right idea, only dont just make it brisk, make it down right fast and require all the same saftey equipment as a ClubRally. Run your event as a TSD only make the "speed" portion of it close to what the fastest possible stage time could be. PRESTO! One awsome TSD.

·
Registered
946 Posts

>nope...
>going to canada as well..
>
>no longer able to run TSD's...
>cant keep my foot off the big pedal :D
>
>Jamie
>www.subiegalracing.com
>http://www.subiegal.com/SGRacing/Team Schedule/subiegalwave.gif

You'd go faster if you didn't stop and then wave so much... makes my stage times look even worse...

you have all the cool graphics. Just need one of a Geo with the feet flinstoning it for Kristen...

·
Registered
291 Posts

>
>
>
>you have all the cool graphics. Just need one of a Geo with
>the feet flinstoning it for Kristen...

I love it...I think Kristen would enjoy that too, but maybe have another one with gerbils pushing the car from behind! :)

T

·
Registered
901 Posts

I'm catching it on the ORG list, so here's what I said there, with some additions to address some things folks are saying here:

Personally, and this is just my opinion, folks!! I'd love to go drive these roads as a TSD, but then again, I know what I'm doing in that respect. And yes, the entry fee would have to go down significantly in order to get anyone up there for a TSD. I don't know of any TSD's that charge anywhere near that amount.

While Dryad Quest/Shitepoke is supposed to be a performance event, it ain't gonna happen until the SCCA Board of Directors (the upper echelon, the ruling class, those guys in charge of SCCA) let us have our Club events back. I think it's a fine idea to try to do something else with the event (or even the roads and the area, to keep DQ/S the performance rally a seperate entity) to keep people interested in coming up to the area and spending money to help those towns affected by the suspension stay friendly with us.

I'm not saying that the event needs to be an SCCA divisional; there are lots of other clubs out there that do TSD rallies, Mark Nolte and Greg Hightower, et. al. do a fine job and I don't think their events are SCCA events. (Night on Bald Mountain, No Alibi, Raindrop, etc.) (I haven't done Raindrop in years, so I could be wrong about that one.)

I remember the last time I did Raindrop we did a tour of the area where we run our stages in performance rally. It was pretty neat.

There are a lot of rallymasters up in that area that John Forespring and Ray could tap to turn this thing into a TSD. They've already got the roads, and the route book, and the route is already measured... Someone needs to do the calcs and the time control workers could be checkpoints... As DQ/S is on private land, the "open road" issue would be lessened, I think. Now we'd just have to get those crazy lead-footted stage rallyists to learn that there is other kinds of rallying, wherein fastest is definitely not the winner.

I definitely don't think this should be a brisk TSD as in CAST 70... it's just not safe, as these roads are, in theory, open to oncoming traffic. Plus, it wouldn't take much to blow SCCA Road rallying out of the water, too, given that several of the news articles from the media about Sawmill referred to that event as a Road Rally, not a Performance Rally.

If the organizers decide to go through with the TSD thing, they need to make sure it is clear that this is NOT A SPEED EVENT. If you want to come up and drive crazy on these roads, better stay home. Rallyists are pretty good about policing themselves, and if you came up and ruined it for everyone, watch your back.

I'm trying to be optimistic; and Jamie, just because you're used to driving with your foot flat on the floor doesn't mean that you can't do TSDs anymore. TSDs have helped me in learning how to read the road so my driver can keep CAST and on time. Plus, as a driver, I get to drive the loose surface at slower, more safer speeds and learn more about what to do to keep my car's momentum going. My family started out working performance events and competing in TSDs, gravel, paved, whatever. We still do as many TSDs as possible, it really helps in performance rally. As drivers, we keep our heads a little better, I think. :) Again, my opinion!

One of the issues that kept coming up on the ORG list is that a Road Rally of the same name as the performance rally might be confusing. So, here's my idea:

Maybe rename the possible TSD "Pan's Adventure/Looney Bird" as an alternate to Dryad Quest and Shitepoke. :)

Kristen

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Hi Kristen, good points, especially this one:
>If the organizers decide to go through with the TSD thing,
>they need to make sure it is clear that this is NOT A SPEED
>EVENT. If you want to come up and drive crazy on these
>roads, better stay home. Rallyists are pretty good about
>policing themselves, and if you came up and ruined it for
>everyone, watch your back.

Let me reinforce this. This would NOT be a performance rally! An average speed will be enforced (too fast and you're out), and probably slower than even MY stage times would be. This was just an idea to get cars down here and put on SOMETHING, so that bridges aren't burned before they are even crossed (i.e. jagerettes, Gillis auto center, etc).

>Maybe rename the possible TSD "Pan's Adventure/Looney Bird"
>as an alternate to Dryad Quest and Shitepoke. :)

Good suggestion, Looney Bird sounds very appropriate. ;)

Thanks everyone for your comments. It seems there might not be enough interest, or even time, to pull this off. NWR meets again Thursday to decide what (if anything) to do for Dryad. And NWR WILL keep you all informed.

Thanks again,
Rick

·
Registered
946 Posts

>Let me reinforce this. This would NOT be a performance
>rally! An average speed will be enforced (too fast and
>you're out), and probably slower than even MY stage times
>would be. This was just an idea to get cars down here and
>put on SOMETHING, so that bridges aren't burned before they
>are even crossed (i.e. jagerettes, Gillis auto center, etc).

Did someone say No Jagerettes. Okay, that does it. Now I'm mad.

·
Vote Libertarian next time!
447 Posts

My main concern as a TSD would be tires. These roads are hard enough on tires without inviting a lot of people on street rubber to cruise them at some set speed. I love my new little Mitsubishi, but I look at those poor factory shoes and know they would not stand a chance against RXR. Then again, that is why the Tabor's sell tyres.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts