Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe, us rally people should look at drifting to get some idea how to make a good series.
World Drift Championship is a new series and this is there package for the 8 races:

Prize Money for the entire series will be over $150, 000 paid out to the top eight drivers. Appearance money paid to the top 8 WDC drivers, and Vehicle transportation and logistics available to all drivers.

1st...$5000
2nd...$2500
3rd...$1700
4th...$1400
5th...$1250
6th...$1200
7th...$1100
8th...$1000

Sound pretty cool

Stephan

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I see your example is all about prize money.

Drifting is a closed venue sport. In the US and maybe worldwide closed venue sports have built in factors that allow them to be sold with more ease to marketers.

The key is the audience, do you agree?
The drifting model is then about the audience, not the prize money.

Stage Rally has a difficult time bringing
a) the excitment to the audience and
b) the audience to the excitment

A good rallyist has good potential to be a good drifter. Maybe serious rallyists should consider Drifting as a source of income for thier hobby - rallying.

So your example is very good, we should all go drifting so we can support rally when not drifting.

See you on the tar,
Mike

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is excatly what i'll be doing next season. I'm building a drift car has we speak and plan to run the full season. My plan is to get sponsor and transfer them with the fans to rally.

·
Registered
194 Posts
>
>I see your example is all about prize money.
>
>Drifting is a closed venue sport. In the US and maybe
>worldwide closed venue sports have built in factors that
>allow them to be sold with more ease to marketers.
>
>The key is the audience, do you agree?
>The drifting model is then about the audience, not the prize
>money.
>
>
>Stage Rally has a difficult time bringing
>a) the excitment to the audience and
>b) the audience to the excitment
>
>A good rallyist has good potential to be a good drifter.
>Maybe serious rallyists should consider Drifting as a source
>of income for thier hobby - rallying.
>
>So your example is very good, we should all go drifting so
>we can support rally when not drifting.
>
>See you on the tar,
>Mike

Anything can be popular if its marketed "properly". Drifting was in the same situation as rally a couple years ago. Only exposure drifting had was - magazines/internet video clips/jap drift videos. They used smart marketing to get a large crowd to the first drift competition "alot of specators showed up" = Companies took notice. US marketing companies tend to follow the leader.....So now its flourishing with alot of sponsors. If rally races were run around spectator experience ---- Rally would be in the same situation as drifting.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
which is why i still think charging for spectating is a good, albeit difficult to implement, idea. not only is it a source of revenue for the event it is also a way to know just how many people are really out there in the woods watching. i think there are alot more than we think at events like LSPR.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Chargeing for admisson to rally events in the states is not a good idea. There are few enough spectators as is, and we are crowded into small un spactacular viewing areas and forced to say there with no bathrooms or concesion stands untill the stage is done. There is no way I would pay money to be hearded into a pen to watch cars go by. I love to watch rally and I don't plan on stopping untill I am actualy driving in the rally, but having to pay to stand on the side of a road getting pelted with rocks and covered in dust with 12 other people just doesn't seem like that good of an idea for atracting new fans.

well I could just be crazy.. nothing new

Otis

·
Registered
58 Posts
Rallying in America has a huge market waiting to be tapped. How many times do you see Neons Civics Integras etc... With half ass body kits and minimal engine mods. If these Imports or "Ricers" could see what some of their cars can do in a Rally and some genious actualy markets Rallying in a way to bait Ricers into it, I think it just might work.

There was an artical in the LA times about two months ago about the EVO 8. It mentioned Rallying and on a side note the author wrote "It is amazing that Rallying is not as popular in the United States as it is in Europe." I agree. Why dont Subaru, Mitsubishi, Ford and so on have commercials featuring their cars Rallying. Im guessing most peoples reactions would be, wow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts