Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinkin about sending a rules change proposal to PRB and thought I'd test the idea by running it past you folks first:

The current rule book awards points to competitors for working an event to:
-Only three people
and
-Only for "key positions of the organizing committee"
(see 9.6 C 9)

I think this rule could be improved by paying points to ANY number of competitors who work a rally and in ANY position.

Here's some of the benefits:
-Organizers would get more workers (more competitors would be willing to work, since there is a smaller time requirment than the curretn system).
-Organizers would get workers with some previous training (know how controls work, know how rally runs, etc.)
-Organizers might get access to more equipment (such as caged cars to run "0 Car", cars with radios, cars with rally computers, ...)
-Competitors might appreciate workers more?
-Non-competitor workers might enjoy hanging out in the woods with competitors?
-Competitors could potentially save money (if competing in a whole series) by not having to run one event(entry, tires, maint, repair,...).

Down side:
-Organizers would lose on enetry fee (could hurt small events)?
-Competitors who chose not ot work might perceive it as unfair?

Am I missing something?

A few details added to make it work:
-The rule would require the competitor be available to work for at least to full weekend the event is running (no marshing one stage and heading home).
-Any year-end ties would not be broken. This takes care of division with only one event.
-Competitors would need to start at least one event in order to collect the points (to prevent someone getting an award/CRNC invite without ever driving).

Comments?

Jim Cox

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
At the moment, the rule pays FIRST PLACE points to the "key positions." I'd suggest that merely working as a marshal would be mighty cheap first place points.

I assume you'd still only allow this to be used once a season.

I can visualize some unfair scenarios in divisions with only a couple of events.

Bruce

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
>At the moment, the rule pays FIRST PLACE points to the "key
>positions." I'd suggest that merely working as a marshal
>would be mighty cheap first place points.
>
>I can visualize some unfair scenarios in divisions with only
>a couple of events.

I think it fair, but I realize others may disagree. Here's how I think about the fairness issue:
Anyone can volunteer, then get the points. If everyone volunteers, there is no effect on standings. If you choose not to volunteer, you will then be at a large disadvantage to your peers. Yes it's a big carrot, but you really need more workers right?

>>I assume you'd still only allow this to be used once a
>season.

Yup.

Jim Cox

>Bruce

1 - 3 of 3 Posts