Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out Bill Wood's article on the Speed Channel site:

[link:www.speedtv.com/commentary/11462/|Read Article]

I certainly have some vivid memories of Jon in the Pacific Northwest in the mid to late eighties, but that was just when I was getting involved with the sport. I'm sure there are people on this list that have great stories to tell about Mr. Woodner.

Ben

P.S. Edit for correct link. Sorry 'bout that... Thanks for the heads-up.

Edit: Fixed link again, trailing slash was required. -Jim

·
Registered
240 Posts
Interesting article. Hope to meet and listen to more stories from those older and wiser in the rally community.

·
Straight @ "T"
188 Posts
Yes, Jon was quite a character (a common trait of ralliests). And clearly a heck of a driver.
And now today's tail: My Driver (Davieson Annis) and I went into a bar in Boston back around 1980 proudly wearing our P.O.R. tee shirts (2nd P that year) and we got approached by a young guy (not our first choice) who asked us if we rallied. Well, it ended up being Jon's step brother. He told us lots of stories, like how Jon would be short on cash and would raid the washing machines in the his family's apartment building (which they owned) and send his guys out with 100's of quarters to buy supplies.
Everyone always wondered why a 2nd tier team (at best) had Jon's family on the crew. Guess we partied better;-) .
Jim Blumenfeld

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
>Interesting article. Hope to meet and listen to more stories
>from those older and wiser in the rally community.

Thanks to my connection with Peugeot Motors of North America (PMNA) in the early 80s I get to count Jon Woodner, John Woolf and Grant Wittaker as former teammates of mine. Jon ended up with the remaining stateside Safari 504 Coupe after the Chisum tragedy that took the Kiwis from us. He debuted that French machine at the August 27-29, 1982 Sunriser 400 Rally in southern Ohio and claimed third overall behind the Buffum Quattro and Millen's AWD RX-7 both there and at the subsequent Centennial ProRally in Colorado. He ran the V6 Coupe through the 83 season but by 85 had taken delivery of his personal 205T16 - which I understand he had built in the UK from a road-going version of the car.

Jon was kind enough to give me his Michelin TRX take-offs during those Safari 504 V6 days - a contribution that was a true godsend for a privateer with no tire budget (hell, no budget at all) since the alternative to his slightly used tires was running the rubber in hand that I guessed would hold air the longest.

Finally, the very first stage rally I took Mary Jane (the soon-to-be Mrs. Mad Mike) to was STPR 86. As crew chief for John Crawford's Chrysler-sponsored team we got invited to a pre-event socializer that was pretty doggone impressive. Jon and his crew was there, and most were about three-sheets-to-the-wind (as Kiwis tend to do). I introduced MJ to Jon and he was cordial and engaging. Then I introduced him to his team and, as if rehearsed, they looked her up and down and said, "Wow, he used to date sleazy women!" Jon just grinned and winked.

Jon was a very high brow kind of guy who did nothing to make anyone uncomfortable, even if they didn't feel all that high brow about themselves. The annual ProRally Woodner Cup is a much sought after award to this day, and that is exactly as it should be.

Halley ...
ProRally #86
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
77 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
RE: Woodner, Centennial 1987 ..,

One of my favorite memories of Woodner was a great battle he had with Doug Shepard in the 80's at the Chattahoochee Forest Rally in Helen, Georgia. Doug was in a Dodge colt, and Woodner in the 504. They traded stages and flats and ran within seconds all day. It is tight and twisty like tennessee, and at the party that night there they were, both with arms of putty hanging at there sides. I can't remember who won and I really don't care. Sportsmen at their best.

·
Registered
104 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts