Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most rallies charge a fee if you early enter and then don't make it to the event. What do people think about this? Could it be causing people to not enter events knowing that if they enter and don't get the car finished, it costs them $50 bucks and if they wait to enter, it costs them $75 bucks?

By the way, Rallye de Paris will cheerfully refund your money if you enter early and then can't make the event. All we ask is you telephone before tech closes so we don't wait up for you. We will even send your money back if you don't make to the first MTC out.
Richard

PS: Please do NOT defend organizers who do this. I know that it is justified in many cases. I would like the opinions of the competitors. I know as a competitor I have delayed entering events until the last minute simply because I did not want to risk paying the withdrawal fee. thanks

·
Registered
524 Posts
RE: Drop Out Fee

>Most rallies charge a fee if you early enter and then don't
>make it to the event. What do people think about this? Could
>it be causing people to not enter events knowing that if they
>enter and don't get the car finished, it costs them $50 bucks
>and if they wait to enter, it costs them $75 bucks?
>
>By the way, Rallye de Paris will cheerfully refund your money
>if you enter early and then can't make the event. All we ask
>is you telephone before tech closes so we don't wait up for
>you. We will even send your money back if you don't make to
>the first MTC out.
>Richard

I routinely wait until the last minute to send my payment for that exact reason. Don't want to pay a penalty to withdraw.

Most of the supps I've read state there is a 24 or 48 prior notice that one must meet. I prefer your method.

-k

·
Registered
1 Posts

If you think about the time and expense an organizer has expended to get the route book and packet put
together for competitor X and they decide to withdraw at the 11th hour, I think it's only fair
to be compensated. I cannot see how this would deter anyone from entering.
You state the fact that your rally does not charge a late withdrawel fee and I think that's great. I think other organizers might not be in the same position to swallow the loss.

I requested extra Service Packets at Ojibwe this year and happily laid down $20 each for them. I know well the time people have into these things.

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

>If you think about the time and expense an organizer has
>expended to get the route book and packet

Er, I am an organizer and we don't see the added costs. We don't lose more than a couple of bucks if some one drops out at the last minute. Other events do have higher costs as they have to prepare much more elaborate service packets. Our service packet is: "Park over there. Spectator area is down the road on the right. Hot dogs will be at the picnic tables." Ojibwe's packets are much more elaborate.

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts

Richard;

As a perspective, the CARS rulebook specifies this in the GCRs:

4.9 Withdrawal

An entry may be withdrawn:

(a) without penalty, up to 48 hours before the start of registration;

(b) with up to 25% of the entry fee in penalty, less than 48 hours before the start of registration (percentage at the organizer's discretion);

(c) with up to 100% of the entry fee in penalty after the opening of registration (percentage at the organizer's discretion)

The withdrawal shall be made in writing by facsimile or by telephone. An entrant or competitor accepted to take part in a competition who withdraws other than in the above manor or who does not take part in the competition but takes part in another on the same day may be held in violation of these GCRs.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I don't mind a fee all that much, particularly in the last week or 10 days. The logic presented does not apply to us; we either know we'll have the car done or not well ahead of time, so we usually enter early anyhow. An option to withdraw is needed, in case of a family emergency or a business issue cropping up. Paying a fee is OK; beats not being able to go at the last minute and losing the whole entry.

And if one has really extraordinary situations, I have found the registrars to be very understanding and willing to get your whole entry back in cse something really bad pops up.

Mark B.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.