Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Congrats to Eklund/Price for winning the Wild West Rally. After 2 days of hard fought battles over appoximately 130 stage miles these guys took a well deserved victory.
Thanks to the volunteers for running a great event and to Subaru West for sponsoring the rally.
Kudos to Dave Clark Motorsports and Cascade Autosport for once again showing that they can put teams onto the podium.
Dave Hintz
'02 WRX

edited title

·
Registered
967 Posts
RE: FIA Wild West International Rally

>Congrats to Eklund/Price for winning the Wild West Rally.
>After 2 days of hard fought battles over appoximately 130
>stage miles these guys took a well deserved victory.

Hey Dave, you left out the best part. After two days and 133.51 stage miles, the results looked like this:

Eklund/Price 2:40:58, average speed 49.7655
Iorio/Ho 2:41:08, average speed 49.7141
Hintz/Hintz 2:41:08, average speed 49.7141

What a show!

[email protected]

·
Registered
542 Posts

>Hey Dave, you left out the best part. After two days and
>133.51 stage miles, the results looked like this:
>
>Eklund/Price 2:40:58, average speed 49.7655
>Iorio/Ho 2:41:08, average speed 49.7141
>Hintz/Hintz 2:41:08, average speed 49.7141
>

I want to thank Matt and Philip for coming out from back East, renting Cascade Autosports' BEAUTIFULLY PREPARED EVO7, being great competitors, figuring out the car (they usually drive a blistering fast Subaru), driving a perfectly clean rally, and spanking us on every stage on Sunday. They and the Hintz brothers were TERRIFIC to race against (as well as LeBlanc and DeLeeuw from Canada and SubieGal in PGT)

We had a big cushion from Saturday (luckily) and managed to fend Iorio off despite driving the last 4 stage miles (down a STEEP mountain)with a cracked rear caliper (like Patrick Richard a few rallies ago). But we somehow managed to lose only 26 seconds to them on that final stage, despite bouncing in and out of the ditches and finishing with a flat rear tire (which I think helped us slow down in the switchbacks). The pedal literally went to the floor with no fluid in the system. The finish control wondered why we just glided past them...

It was a good rally for anyone who could make it. Hopefully next year we can run a bit more mainline and a little less fresh rock.

Thanks to everyone, including Subaru Western Region, and all the great rally workers from the Northwest. They hope to someday bring the Olympus Rally back in full form and I hope they can do it. This was a small victory on a long road to achieving that daunting goal. I hope all competitors continue to support the tireless efforts of the organizers in their areas by ENTERING events, rounding up stage workers and fresh faces, and providing feedback directly to organizers by attending the planning meetings on occasion.

Pe

·
Registered
724 Posts

Congrats to all that finished especially Matt and Phil they have been working hard all season and it seems to be paying off. After their 3rd at Maine I think they will be running up front at LSPR.

·
Registered
374 Posts

It was a fabulous rally -- fun for all. Even the weather was 100% better than predicted! the food was terrific, the competition was awesome, fun was had by all, especially the Fling Pu team!!

Mama-san

·
Registered
374 Posts

Hey, Leon! funny you should write -- I was just checking out your website this morning to see if you had an old REPU for sale ---- know any old Mazda rotary-engine pickups that might have been rallied at some point, pining away in someone's garage for sale??

and your baby is doing just fine! we didn't race the 7 on Sunday because of some oil pressue issues that made Ben nervous on Saturday so he decided to protect her and do some research. HOWEVER -- did you notice he was first in G5 on Saturday with your baby girl?? He did some fine driving and the car was fabulous.... Now we're getting ready for Mt Hood -- both cars (rx7 and rx3) will be there!

Mama-san

·
Registered
374 Posts

I don't think so -- I've just spent about 30 minutes online reading through Sunday and Monday's paper with no reference I could find.

Mama-san

·
Registered
374 Posts

I just talked to the Aberdeen Daily World and they said -- We were waiting to publish the scores but no one has sent us the results!!

Mama-san

·
Registered
254 Posts
http://www.wildwestrally.com/04image/paul2.JPG

Congrat's to Paul and Jeff for a hard fought win! What great competition this weekend (for overall and in all classes!) Thanks again to EVERYONE for making WildWest such a successful event.

Paul and Jeff, your downhill run from Wildcat Pass without breaks must have been hair-raising, and to keep the lead- very impressive!. BTW- I found your mirror today. Poor mirror (still attached in the picture above), and poor sapling! That tree gave it's life to bounce you back onto the road. The normal joke is to charge competitors $10 per tree, but I'll settle for both your autographs at the next event. Hum... wonder what a signed Eklund/Price mirror from their first International Rally win would go for on eBay? Congrat's again guys!

·
Registered
689 Posts

mothership - Talk to Roger Hull he knows where a Rotary Truck project is , it may be for sale.

Tom Grossmann

·
Registered
542 Posts
> BTW- I found your mirror today. Poor
>mirror (still attached in the picture above), and poor
>sapling! That tree gave it's life to bounce you back onto
>the road. The normal joke is to charge competitors $10 per
>tree, but I'll settle for both your autographs at the next
>event. Hum... wonder what a signed Eklund/Price mirror
>from their first International Rally win would go for on
>eBay? Congrat's again guys!
>

I think if you also found the mirror we left at Dryad Quest on a sweeping uphill left in 2002 (probably still stuck into a tall stump there)then you would have the start of a worthless collection...

I guess I owe you a few pints of Widmer at Mt. Hood ClubRally...

Thanks, Pe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts