Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
did anyone else watch wind tunnel on friday night. nicky grist was on and the spent a fair amount of time on rally and once again nicky said that the wrc wont truly be a world level sport until N.A. is added. then at the end a delivery driver in mich. caled in and said he makes rounds to the prodrive shop there and asked dave about the similarities to US vs. wrc rallying. all dave could answer was that yes we have a series and the budgets are smaller and that the events are run very similarly and that it would be cool to see an american rise to the wrc ranks. i was busy cursing speed channels lack of phone lises and the stupid busy signal. i think we all need to write e-mails to the show before the next episode on the 25th telling him about ramana and pat!
the email is: [email protected] so fire away! i know i will!

greg

·
Registered
436 Posts
Greg,

I would agree with you that Ramana and Pat are probably the best
around, and may include Lauchlin O, but the bottom line is that
when they have gone up against the international regulare they
fall short. North America is a long way from producing a rally
driver that is capable of landing a WRC factory ride, based on
merit.

My $0.02,
Patrick

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
I saw the show and read Greg's meaning in the original post as saying, Dave could have added, "two north americans, Ramana and Richard were there too" while he expanded on the subject.
rz

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Lack of experience with notes is the biggest issue NA drivers have when competing on the world stage.

I think we're progressing a bit with the provided stage notes. RIQ was our first crack at recce, and it adds a whole new dimension to an event! Adds cost, time and complexity. These issues are difficult to deal with even for the average prorallyist here in the US.

Watching JB spank the the entire field at Charlevoix this year was a sight to behold! Considering that one of the driver's(Warmbold) is running an M-sport Focus Group A car and doing quite well in the WRC makes it even more impressive.

Experience, experience, experience...

Cheers! John

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, once I heard that Mr. Grist was going to be on the program I sent them an email during the broadcast asking if they thought that with Ramana having recent success on the WRC scene, combined with the abundance of video games, Americans will finally "tune in" and "turn on" to rallying.

I also tried calling almost the entire hour, and finally got through at about 11:57! Unforunatley, when I told the call screener what I wanted to ask/talk about he said "well, we already talked a lot about rallying." I told him that I realized that, but that this was a question about a U.S. specific topic that they should talk about but haven't. Unfortunately my argument fell upon deaf/ignorant ears and the show ended with me still on the phone with the screener x(

Matt "K2" Kennedy
www.RockyRoadRacing.com
#931 Subaru Impreza 2.2 PGT - SCCA Pro/ClubRally
#44 Subaru Legacy 2.2 Production 4WD - SCCA/NER RallyCross

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the point was to tell him that the N.A. crowd is trying to break in again and that the last event had two and one is running at several events.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
shift in topic

hey i started it so i can switch it right?
matt i see in NER you have a p4wd rallycross class. im assuming it is for nonturbo cars. here in cendiv we just run g2 g5 and open w/prepared and stock in each class. how does the p4wd work ut for you guys?
greg

·
Registered
38 Posts
RE: shift in topic

Hey guys,

Some interesting comments posted here, and I just thought I'd chime in. In another thread, Pat mentioned the "catch 22" for people with relatively little pacenote experience having a go at World level. Considering that most national championships allow note making, drivers from North America have that much taller of a mountain to climb in order to be successful.

Before the rally in NZ began, I was told that I absolutely had to finish. To me, this is about the hardest order for a driver to deal with. So, somewhat tentatively, I started the event. It took me the first day of the rally to realize that the "finish at all costs" strategy was not only the best option from Subaru's marketing perspective, but it was also the best for me as a driver in my position.

I learned so much in that week, but mostly it made me realize how much more I have to learn to be competative. Driving and car control are on thing. Making detailed, accurate, and consistent notes that you can use is another thing entirely. It really is all about experience competing with notes.

Regards,

Ramana

PS, please don't take the above to mean that I think we should be making notes in the States, we're definitely not ready for that, just trying to highlight the importance of experience with them on the world level...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts