Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to Autosport it might just happen.

Despite telling BBC Sport that he was comfortably enjoying a hiatus and wasn't interested in a WRC ride next year Colin in typical Colin fashion made some interesting and conflicting statements seen here:

http://www.wrc.com/News.aspx?PO_ID=4150&flash=False&lang=en_GB

McRae and Meeke in Skoda link
Finland - Colin McRae - 12/08/2004 11:27:55

Former world champion Colin McRae and his protégé Kris Meeke have been linked to a sensational deal to join the up-and-coming Skoda team for next season, according to a story in Autosport magazine this week.

McRae - who won the 1995 World Rally Championship, before a successful four years with Ford and then a season with Citroen in 2003 ? Junior WRC Opel Corsa driver Meeke met with Skoda team boss Martin Muehlmeier in Finland last weekend. A deal has apparently been discussed in which McRae and Meeke could drive selected WRC rounds next year.

?I?m really interested in a full programme of WRC rounds for myself for next year,? said McRae. ?My main priority is to sort something out for Kris. You can see from the pace Jani Paasonen has shown here that the Skoda has come on well, and the team has done a good job in developing the car. I?m open for anything ? we would consider any potential offer.?

There could be fierce competition for a drive with Skoda in 2005. Armin Schwarz is the only driver said to hold a contract, while Finns Toni Gardemeister and Neste Rally Finland draftee Jani Paasonen both proved their pace last weekend. Paasonen is keen for further outings this season, while DTM touring car racer Mattias Ekstrom has been linked to runs on the final two asphalt rounds of the season in France and Spain.

Hrm, Skoda back, maybe mitsu, plus ford, cit, pug, and sub....

Then there is HMC claiming its coming back and Renault looking pretty serious at WRC this could get interesting in the years to come....

·
Registered
250 Posts
It would be great to see Colin back out there again. I've found I really don't enjoy WRC nearly as much this season without him running. He does destroy some cars, but I think he's a real asset to the sport, and I think he could be competitive in anything he drives, not to mention that I've always liked Skoda.

Greg,
<RIP Skoda Octavia WRC, you've given me many great memories.>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts