Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Matt
1973 Volvo 142E
It has front ipd sway bars and KYB gas a just and the rear ones i had to remove cause i got em on wrong i think. But there going back on. But anyway. Think it would? It handles pretty good. but ya know its a volvo! My friend almost rolled his dodge dynasty today after he was trying to keep up with my volvo. He blew the tire and did a 180! It was pretty funny. That car went up on 2! he hit a tree though. Dont tell his brother! LOL J/k
Matt

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Matt
1973 Volvo 142E
Freek! I think i posted this in the wrong forum! I'll check tommorow and might post else were.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i spelled freak and tomorrow wrong huu.
Trying to get this subject going.
Matt

·
Registered
245 Posts
Any car can roll under the right conditions... its a matter of knowing when you can throw a car sidways, and of not going sideways over ruts, major bumps, and other such things. The KYB's while an improvement on the Volvo for spirited street driveing have proved a little inadiquate for RallyCrossing. Well, at least at our main venue, they seemed to do ok at our gravel rallyx's. I'll let you know what differance the IPD anti-roll bars make after this weekend... I'm using my sister's '72 144E in the RallyX, as the suspension and exhaust are falling out of mine...and not enough time to bring it in the shop. Her's has the sway bars, mine just has the stock front 14mm bar or whatever it is... Anyway, you should have seen Bill Malik fly his 242, that would cure any worries you have about being sideway's in a Volvo. And please, slow down on the public roads... :) It's generaly a good idea to practice in a lot, or on a road that you KNOW isn't going to be traveled by anyone else. (yes I've done my share of stupid things on public roads) And if for no other reason that to minimize the chances of another old volvo biting the dust... Yes I rolled one of mine, but that was in a real rally, and I thought I was driveing within my limits... so much for a beginer being able to know where those limits are. Keep that in mind... I'll have to email you before and after pics to sober you up... ;)

But no, if you know what you're doing, you likely won't roll. Or go slow enough that even if you don't know whay you're doing you won't roll.

Nick Polimeni
'71 Volvo 142E (daily driver/RallyCross)
Editor, Blue Mountain Region, SCCA
[email protected]

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Matt
1973 Volvo 142E
I was planning on going to the rally cross on the 27th or 26th or what ever it was. Do i have to have a good exhaust system to pass tech? thanks for the reply.
Matt

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
>And please, slow down on the public roads... It's generaly a good >idea to practice in a lot, or on a road that you KNOW isn't going to >be traveled by anyone else.
I dont rally on public roads! well it kinda is... I go to a community college parking lot its about 1/2 mile long and oval shaped. I can practice turns there and some other stuff. I go at night time so it is empty. i have to sneek around a road block! so that kinda sucks. minor off roading and avoiding a tree, up a curb and over a curb. Then im free! Its alot of fun, i can't wait for the real thing!
Matt

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just don't do anything dumb. Make sure your tires are in good shape. Stay on the road, that means every tire at all times (you don't know what lurks in the bushes). Don't hit stuff that could roll you over or pull the tire off the bead when you're sideways (rocks, ruts, etc.). If you do go off the road, don't do it sideways. Leave yourself room for error.

Will MacDonald
1968 Volvo 144

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well what i am trying to do is learn how to take a turn a little faster than i do right now. How fast can most people take a 180 degree turn? My future co driver said i was going about 15 i think thats pretty sad and slow.
Matt

·
Registered
117 Posts
Don't worry too much about hairpins.

If you want to take turns faster, there's some stuff that you can do on the street without breaking any laws or being dangerous. Match revs when you shift. Learn heel-toe or clutchless down shifting. Take the racing line and accelerate a little through turns (stay in your lane and mantain the same amount of cornering force through the entine turn as if you had a limited amount of traction).

Driving around in snowy parking lots will help you keep the car in control and help get rid of bad habits.

Will MacDonald
1968 Volvo 144

·
Registered
245 Posts
"(you don't know what lurks in the bushes)"

Paul Choinere found that one out a few years ago when (I forget what rally it was) he put his right side tires into some ferns to gain a little extra road, not realizing that ferns usually grow out of rotting tree stumps, and rolled the Hyundai several times...

"Leave yourself room for error."

Can't stress that one enough. And when you think you have left room for error, leave more, my first rallycar was proof of the necessity of that. :+

Nick Polimeni
[email protected]

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We had to remove the thermostat. Now the car is running super
cold. So its sucking up the gas! and the idle is real high. Soo
gotta get that fixed before Rally cross, if I can even go. It's
pretty far away from here. I don't go fake rallying in the woods! Thats would be dumb. All though i kinda go through alleys which is kinda dumb too but I don't go that fast.
Matt
1973 Volvo 142E

·
Registered
706 Posts
RE: thermostat

If you're going to take out the thermostat (why?) then you should fit a restrictor also known as a blanking sleeve. This has a small hole in it so that the coolant actually has a chance to dissipate heat in the rad instead of just pumping hot water around really fast.

Skye Poier
Seattle, WA

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RE: thermostat

We had to take it out it froze up not letting any cool water in! So the engine was running really really hot! We are going to put one back in, but I have to find a new one first.
Matt

·
Registered
245 Posts
IPD swaybars GOOOD! Just ran the RallyCross on Sunday, and found that the sway bars did make a good bit of differance in the ease of which I could toss the car into turns. Part of that might have been the fact that I wasn't leaning half way out of my seat to compensate for the fact the the car was leaning almost onto its door handles...

Nick Polimeni
[email protected]

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ohh poop Were u there saturday? I was there saturday! I made it as far as the sign in thing and they asked for Id! Only 3 more f!ng months to go! Ohh that pissed me off! Then they decided I needed to stay Behind the tape cause I evidently don't know what to do if a car comes hurdling towards me. I still had fun I got to ride with Paul Eklund. Thats was awesome! My Volvo suffered the ride home overreving and overheating then it just suddently ran out of gas! The tank read half and then I watched it drop to zero! Then I rolled to the gas station! I was gettin great gas milage till then! Made it to oregon with half a tank! back with half a tank also! I did have major fun after I fixed my car. I went to some logging roads and had big fun soo it wasn't all bad. Can't wait till next year! I can actually compete! I was looking for u but I saw no 71 volvo! I was really hoping u were gonna be there. I guess I should have came Sunday huu. Probably would have been more fun.
Matt

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,207 Posts
Matt: You and Nick are on opposite sides of the country... Guess it just happened that both areas were having a RallyCross this weekend.

Ben

P.S. I can tell you that 142s can roll over if you are sliding sideways and you hit things... I have found this out three times in rally conditions...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ohh thats real funny... There was to here! one saturday one sunday! so I thought he lived over here and went to the one on sunday! Sorry for the confusion!...

Matt
1973 Volvo 142E

·
Registered
245 Posts
that is kinda funny! Yes, I live in West Virginia, BMR is based in Reading PA, I belong to them because when I joined the SCCA, DC region wasn't involved in rally, and my loyalties havn't changed. Even though they have a kick ass rallycross series now, which is where I was on sunday down by Orange Va. Oh, and I was running the '72 144E that I built for my younger sister and that I painted Volvo 850 T5-R yellow. I lost count of how many times I got asked if I'd painted my car, ppl apparently weren't noticing that one has 2drs the other 4...

Nick Polimeni
[email protected]

·
Registered
229 Posts
>Matt
>1973 Volvo 142E
>It has front ipd sway bars and KYB gas a just and the rear
>ones i had to remove cause i got em on wrong i think. But
>there going back on. But anyway. Think it would? It handles
>pretty good. but ya know its a volvo! My friend almost
>rolled his dodge dynasty today after he was trying to keep
>up with my volvo. He blew the tire and did a 180! It was
>pretty funny. That car went up on 2! he hit a tree though.
>Dont tell his brother! LOL J/k
>Matt

Yes.
The '73 142E has a higher center of gravity because of the the larger wiper stalk.
No, I have never driven one but I DID stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Word up.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
>Yes.
>The '73 142E has a higher center of gravity because of the
>the larger wiper stalk.
>No, I have never driven one but I DID stay in a Holiday Inn
>Express last night.
>Word up.
What does staying in a Holiday Inn have to do with anything? I have figured out it would be pretty hard to roll my car under the conditions i'm using it in. It handles very well I have gotten it side ways in dry pavement and its fine. done it in rain Its fine done it in dirt its fine, and grass its fine!
Soo I have kinda worked upp my courage already and tested it out my self,
Thanks
Matt

1 - 20 of 47 Posts