Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) A [link:wildwestrally.com/03entry.html|preliminary entry list] has been posted.

2) The [link:wildwestrally.com/03message.html|competitor's message board] contains some very important information. Pray for rain, but pack your light bars. If the fire danger rises another notch we may have a real night rally!

3) Direct your Wild West website feedback to [email protected]. I'm tired of disfunctional rally web sites, so I'm appointing you as official Wild West Web usability testers. I can't make it rain, but I can fix most mistakes (except for the sups).

Jim Culp

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Perhaps it would be nice to see that alternative schedule? If we are running into the night on Sunday, my crew will have already flown home. I don't think it is too much to ask to know when we MAY be running. Also, why do we need to be there Thurs. for a Sat/Sun. race?

Eric Burmeister

·
Registered
521 Posts
I agree with Lurch, can we see the alternate schedule and when would the anouncement be made to go with either schedule?

I read somewhere that it could turn into a Friday / Saturday night event which would make a differance in travel arrangements and when to check out of hotels.

David

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
>I read somewhere that it could turn into a Friday / Saturday
>night event which would make a differance in travel
>arrangements and when to check out of hotels.

Where did you find this Dave? Couldn't find any such info on the website.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
>
>Specifically, the note from August 21st refers to a "hoot
>owl" schedulewhere you are not in the woods between 1pm and
>8pm.
>
>Peter

Yes, I saw that. I want to know if "hoot owl" means running Friday night and Saturday night...or Saturday night and Sunday night. It is not specified.

My crew is leaving before the first beer on Sunday night already. One has to work (in Michigan) on Monday morning and the other needs to drive back to Utah for school.

Eric

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
With much searching, I found this in the Pacific NW forum:

George Plsek:
What is the story with Registration and Scrutineering being on Thursday only for Saturday and Sunday event, forcing peeople take almost a full week of work for a weekend event, bad enough we have to deal with FIA services and etc.
-george

Jim Culp:
Top reasons for Thursday registration:
1. Rally starts on Friday.
2. Course note callibration stage available on Friday.
3. Shakedown stage available on Friday.
4. 2002 FIA observer recommended more public ceremony, like the Friday start.
5. Wild West sponsors want to show their stuff in the Olympia market.
6. Fire danger contingency plan could result in a Friday/Saturday NIGHT rally.
7. Scruitineering facilities are very limited on Friday.

The FIA requirements may be inconvenient, and they may add expense, but they are necessary to keep dreams alive, and some of the organizing team still dream about another WRC event in our neighborhood.

Jim Culp

So, in a rather indirect manner, I find that we may be running Friday and Saturday nights as the "alternative schedule." That requires a hundred dollars in rescheduling fees for my fly-in crewmember to get him in earlier (currently flying in on Friday afternoon). Still better than Sat./Sun. night.

I would still like to see an official word on what DAYS that alt. schedule encompasses before I reschedule him.

And to see my response to the "dream," you can read this thread if you so choose:

http://www.specialstage.com/forum/cgi-bin/DCForumID22/242.html#13

·
Registered
433 Posts
YES, we would all love to hear the "Official word"!!! Would like to know if we are competing or not. FRI/SAT is what we are looking for.

Greg

·
Registered
542 Posts
RE: Help Needed for Servicing at Wild West

From PRIMITIVE RACING:

Looks like Scott Huhn may not be able to make it to Wild West, is there anyone out there who can help us service the WRX?

It should be a walk in the park! Just ask Debbie Brusius or Josh Milos who helped us down in Gorman. (well the servicing part went fine...just a little trouble with the ol' service van in getting home...)

Contact me at "[email protected]" or call (503) 624-2139

Also, I have an EXTRA room at the HQ Red Lion. Does anyone need a room? Before I "turn it in"...

Pe

·
Registered
254 Posts
RE: Hoot-owl schedule

>Perhaps it would be nice to see that alternative schedule?
>If we are running into the night on Sunday, my crew will
>have already flown home. I don't think it is too much to
>ask to know when we MAY be running. Also, why do we need to
>be there Thurs. for a Sat/Sun. race?
>
>Eric Burmeister

A final decision will be made next Tuesday (9/2) about which schedule will be used.

The "hoot-owl" schedule will look something like this:
Friday: Cerimonial start as planned, then head directly to run all of Saturdays planned stages over Friday night/Saturday morning.

Saturday: Starting after 8pm, run all of Sundays planned stages overnight into Sunday morning.

Basically, take the posted schedule and subtract about 12 hours.

·
Registered
907 Posts

that is great an all, but I have service crew for both of my cars flying on Friday evening as of now, so they don't miss so much work.

I would like to know the schedule soon so we can make apropriate arrangaments for the crew.

-george

·
Registered
1,407 Posts

>
>The "hoot-owl" schedule will look something like this:
>Friday: Cerimonial start as planned, then head directly to
>run all of Saturdays planned stages over Friday
>night/Saturday morning.
>
>Saturday: Starting after 8pm, run all of Sundays planned
>stages overnight into Sunday morning.
>
>Basically, take the posted schedule and subtract about 12
>hours.

Thank you. I also got what I consider to be an "official" response to a private email to Jim Culp (stating the above; no hard alt. schedule). I think that this information should be put on the event website as well. It is important and, honestly, SS is not where "official" information should be relayed unless you state so in your Supplemental Regulations.

Eric

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
StageNote recce

Just got back from helping in the stagenote preparation. Most excellent and challenging roads.
Hopefully there will be some rain prior to the event because it was really dry out there. We discovered and reported a fire already started. Be aware to turn your engines off when possible (waiting at ATCs) and not to park in the higher grass between the wheel tracks in the road to prevent hot exhaust systems from starting a fire.
If you happen to DNF on the last stage (WildCat Pass) or if you are working there, enjoy the blackberries. Thousands of big ones. Yummy.
Have a fun and safe event.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Fire update

> We even discovered and
>reported a fire already started.

A big thanks to you and Pete for reporting that so quickly! We got it contained just before it reached the grass and adjacent plantation at sunset. It could have been very bad if you guys weren't out there. (I keep trying to explain to my bosses that rally is good for our company, and this is one more feather in the rally cap) Thanks again!

I think the odds of running the hoot-owl schedule are now slim-to-none. Cool nights and morning clouds are helping the humidity levels. The forecast looks about the same the rest of the week, and since we didn't reach IFPL 3 this week, I think we'll be safe to run the daytime schedule. (Zone 654 doesn't matter if all others remain a 2 or lower) This doesn't mean there's no fire danger, far from it, but I feel confident the odds are less than 10% that we'll run anything other the planned daytime schedule.

·
Registered
374 Posts
RE: StageNote recce and fire hazard

and not to park
>in the higher grass between the wheel tracks in the road to
>prevent hot cat converters from starting a fire.
One reason NOT to have cats on the car?

Philip J. Boer
[email protected]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts