Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"September 24th, 2003 (....)
3. 2004 Calendar
a. Reviewed 2004 Calendar
b. PRB moves that Wild West not be included in the 2004 ProRally calendar, but be an observed ClubRally for 2004 for consideration for inclusion in the ProRally championship in 2005.
c. Motion carries 6-0."

Q. Does the PRB publish more detailed minutes than this?

Q. Can the entire PRB itself make a motion (rather than a member of the PRB?)

I find it very interesting that no mention of any of the reasons were included in the FasTrack minutes.

Glenn
 

·
www.christianedstrom.com
Joined
·
2,144 Posts
>Q. Does the PRB publish more detailed minutes than this?

No. I write them and submit them to Nancy for publication, as is.

>Q. Can the entire PRB itself make a motion (rather than a
>member of the PRB?)

No, some member must have so moved. My fault for not recording which member it was. Should you like to take an individual PRB member to task for making the motion, I'd say it's a better than 50% chance it was me.

>I find it very interesting that no mention of any of the
>reasons were included in the FasTrack minutes.

A detailed list of action items is being provided to the organizer. They may be published after that.

- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
> No, some member must have so moved. My fault for not recording which member it was. Should you like to take an individual PRB member to task for making the motion, I'd say it's a better than 50% chance it was me.

I don't think it is a case of taking anyone to task, more a case of trying to understand what lead to the event's removal from the calendar.

Regardless of who made the motion, it was carried 6-0, so there is little to be gleaned from the vote - I was curious about the "PRB moves..." in terms of procedure.

Maybe some things were never meant to be made public, but between the lack of detail from the PRB/FasTrack (I recall being told to wait to see what was published in the Dec issue...) and from the copy of the letter sent to the organizers, and I still don't understand why the event was removed.

The letter detailed some vague issues, and where it was precise about issues, as a competitor, I certainly didn't see any impact and fail to see how it justifies removal of the event from the calender.

However, other events have had more signifigant safety and organizational issues, yet they remain on the calender.

I agree that the SCCA and PRB should have high standards for events, but also communicate them clearly to both the organizers and the membership, and apply them fairly to all events.

There are plenty of rumors about the "real reason" the event was removed, but I won't give them credence by repeating them. I'd rather see the SCCA keep more of an open book in terms of event selection and management.

Wild West is a great event on great roads, and I think the SCCA has done the Northwest Region a disservice by removing it from the 2004 calendar.

Glenn
 

·
www.christianedstrom.com
Joined
·
2,144 Posts
>The letter detailed some vague issues, and where it was
>precise about issues, as a competitor, I certainly didn't
>see any impact and fail to see how it justifies removal of
>the event from the calender.

In response to this criticism, the PRB has drafted an additional letter, with specific direct input from the series and safety stewards, that will be presented to the organizers in the near future, as a specific guide to what issues we identified at the 2003 running of the event.

Publication of the letter will not occur prior to its presentation to the organizers, which I believe will occur the week of the 17th.

>Glenn

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
> In response to this criticism,

I assume you meant in response to similar criticism, and not the humble internet typings of a deranged Aussie...

> the PRB has drafted an additional letter, with specific direct input from the series and safety stewards, that will be presented to the organizers in the near future, as a specific guide to what issues we identified at the 2003 running of the event.

That's great news. I think the organizers deserve clear feedback.

I hope the organizers and SCCA can work things through.

Glenn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
967 Posts
>In response to this criticism, the PRB has drafted an
>additional letter, with specific direct input from the
>series and safety stewards, that will be presented to the
>organizers in the near future, as a specific guide to what
>issues we identified at the 2003 running of the event.

I assume the letter will be transmitted in time for Mr Johnson's conference call next Tuesday. Any chance you could send that letter to the organizers in an electronic format? Faxes are very difficult to distribute to hundreds of workers scattered thoughout the western US and Canada.

Web publication is really the easiest way to reach the Wild West volunteers. They deserve to hear directly from their representatives on the PRB while they ponder their SCCA renewal statements. I know it's tough for the SCCA to keep things up to date at [http://www.scca.org/amateur/performance_rally/press/index.html] but we'd be happy to help. There's lots of space at [http://wildwestrally.com/].

Jim Culp
wildwestrally.com
 

·
your other left, you idiot
Joined
·
3,909 Posts
>Ever notice how I can stop a thread on this board by asking
>a direct question? PRB members seem real chatty until I
>post a question. Wonder why that is?
>
>Jim Culp
>wildwestrally.com

Um Jim, methinks you are jumping a bit fast there.

You posted at 10:56pm (EST) on a Friday, and it is now Saturday morning.

People in glass houses should be careful of stones.

press on,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
967 Posts
You mean everybody wasn't up all night thumping on the Region's web sever, trying to shove the championship points standings into a balky FTP port?

Out of respect for the author's family, I will try not to quote the chorus of "I'll sleep when I'm dead" today.

JC
 

·
www.christianedstrom.com
Joined
·
2,144 Posts
>I assume the letter will be transmitted in time for Mr
>Johnson's conference call next Tuesday.

Yes, it was specifically written for that meeting.

>Any chance you
>could send that letter to the organizers in an electronic
>format?

I don't know how Ralph and Steve are presenting it, but it exists in electronic format, and I am sure that John can get an electronic copy if he requests one.

Cheers,
- Christian

PS: Jim, I'm really sorry that I slept in and went to the Post Office before reading SpecialStage this morning...

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com
 

·
400 flat to crest
Joined
·
5,777 Posts
>Christian,
>Thanks for updating everyone on this. I've been away from
>SpecialStage for almost a week. I think you've done a fine
>job keeping everyone in the loop, its too bad people like
>Jim Culp don't appreciate that.
>
>J.B. Niday
>www.nidayrallysport.com

Well he's a fellow Northwesterner, so I'll scold him for being bad...

Jim, BAD! BAD! (rolling a magazine and pointing at a puddle) Bad, Jim!


There I'm sure he's feeling chastised mo' better getting scolded by a NW person and Former customer!!





John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Black Rocket Rally Tires
http://www.blackrockettires.com/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
967 Posts
>Christian,
>Thanks for updating everyone on this. I've been away from
>SpecialStage for almost a week. I think you've done a fine
>job keeping everyone in the loop, its too bad people like
>Jim Culp don't appreciate that.
>
>J.B. Niday
>www.nidayrallysport.com

Sorry if I offended you by asking for is an electonic copy of the PRB's detailed recommendations for the Wild West organizers. Most of our volunteers have no idea why the Wild West was removed from the schedule after we were invited to the partnership meeting. I really don't think I'm the only one out of the your loop, that's why I want to help publish your document.

I waited for the details that were promised for FasTrack, but that really wasn't much help. I just thought it might be constructive to have your issues on the table prior to the meeting, but if that doesn't fit the PRB's agenda, we can wait.

Jim Culp
one of the bad people at wildwestrally.com, Sept 10-12, 2004

Edited to add: At least the NWRegion and NorPac rally points are online <http://www.nwr-scca.org/rally/03points.html>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
901 Posts
JB, I have a question I hope you can answer.

Christian and I have gone around the block a couple times about the meeting notes as posted in the FasTrack (my question always being, what's wrong with complete sentences, a la the other meeting notes??); it's often difficult, if not downright impossible, to figure out what the heck our PRB discussed and what's come of all our correspondence.

My question for JB is thus: (and I'm putting it here in hopes that other people with the same question can have an answer in one place)

What is your "strategic plan" as mentioned in the December FasTrack in re the meeting held on Sept. 17 2003?

My other questions are as follows, also posted here in the hopes that if other people have these same questions, we won't all have to bug Christian for the answer and he can get some real work done :)

1. Is there any way that you can give the details of the correspondence from competitors, etc. instead of just saying that you got a letter and So-and-so will answer it?

2. Is there any way that the responses to such correspondence can be detailed so those of us with similar questions may be able to get the answer in one place, instead of having to bug you guys can get some real work done?

3. Any news the rest of us can hear about the Operations Manual?

That's all for now; I'm sure I'll come up with some more questions!

:) KT
 

·
Big Jump 800
Joined
·
716 Posts
First, strategic planning. This is the most important thing on the agenda as far as I'm concerned. I am glad it is finally getting the attention of the BoD. I have much to say and no time today to say it. I WILL write something soon and post it someplace. Just not tonight.

as for your other questions:
1. We're working on it.
2. Yup!
3. The PRB is reviewing the final draft at the next meeting.

J.B. Niday
www.nidayrallysport.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
901 Posts
HA HA HA HA HA HA!!! :) That's good, JB! You answered my questions with as much detail as the usual meeting notes have! :)

Thanks, man! I needed that!

:) KT
 

·
Big Jump 800
Joined
·
716 Posts
I only WISH I had the time Christian seems to have lately to be more verbose... cuz I'd really like to talk at length about strategic planning... all I will say is PLEASE don't anyone bring up the old ugly "Vision Guide"... it is a completely obsolete piece of CRAP and should mean nothing to anyone at this point.

I invite George Plsek to address your 1st and 2nd questions in greater detail... he's working on something new, so I'd like to let HIM address it.

as for #3... I have sections 1 and 2 in hand and the ENTIRE meeting tomorrow is dedicated to reviewing the manual... I don't know HOW MANY sections there are... maybe Bruce can step in and tell us as he's pretty close to Beryl Ann.

That's all I can add; no secret knowledge withheld!

J.B. Niday
www.nidayrallysport.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,998 Posts
>as for #3... I have sections 1 and 2 in hand and the ENTIRE
>meeting tomorrow is dedicated to reviewing the manual... I
>don't know HOW MANY sections there are... maybe Bruce can
>step in and tell us as he's pretty close to Beryl Ann.

There are three chunks...each one is several sections. Beryl Ann just sent out the last one. It's a draft, but only needs some dressing up to be final if it's approved. It's the work of a committee consisting of organizers and others from all over the country...I'd leave somebody out if I started naming them, and many of them are on SS :) I'm pushing to have the list of names put into the (so far unwritten) introduction, as these folks endured innumerable conference calls and worked really hard at this project.

The one thing I will say about the operations manual is that I don't think there's anything completely new in it. It's a standardazation of the best practices from all over the country...everything in there is being done already somewhere.

Bruce
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top