Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Marketing through Motorsports
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With my apologies, a family event leads me to delay the recce school by one week, to the 20th of September 2008.

I have successfully contacted most of the six registered participants already and have (fortunately) heard no objection. I'm still waiting to hear back from the last team.

The good news is that the presentations are already done, the location is good, and the practice routes have been identified and mapped out.

I hope you can make the new date!

John

·
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Reminder that entry fee is still cheap

The entry fee is still just $39 per person, or save a few bucks and buddy up with someone, paying $70 for a team.

Mike will be updating the date on the www.RallyData.com registration site soon, but you can still sign up on line.

Rally on!

John

·
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New Meeting Location

Hi, folks,

In order to minimize costs for the Widget Recce School, I've moved the venue to the Greenhouse Cafe on Janss Road near Moorpark Road in Thousand Oaks.

This is a restaurant that offers breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Students will receive a 10% discount.

I'll be getting a copy of the menu and post it online as soon as I can.

It's my hope that you'll buy your lunch there (I could force the issue and make it a "working" lunch! -- but I won't) and maybe even breakfast and coffee.

We'll start at 9:30 AM. We'll leave the room for the last time around 3:00 or 3:30 PM, doing our "final project" exercise that will end up in Malibu.

The meeting room seats around 20. I need to give them a final count by Wednesday, the 17th of September, so please get your entries in before then.

I need seven or eight students to break even (the old venue required 16) so I really, really hope more of you will sign up.

Rally on!

John

·
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Airport recommendations: Burbank or LAX

Ah crap, already have a flight arranged for the 13th... :rolleyes:

Sorry about that, Brent.

If you're flying on Southwest Airlines, it probably won't cost you anything to change the schedule.

Nearest airport is Burbank (recommended) or LAX (sometimes cheaper).

Actually the nearest is Camarillo, but I'd bet the puddle jumpers that serve the community are really expensive.

Rally on.

·
R3- into ! L3><
230 Posts
No big John. You got the priorities straight.

I'm flying on miles...was going to cost only $5, but even with the change fee 'tis still 1/2 the cost of driving and considerably less hours spent on the road. ;)

FYI for SoCal folks coming to the Prescott Rally: Horizon Air (Alaska Airlines subsidiary) is starting nonstop service between Prescott & LAX next Monday...their introductory pricing is about what it'd cost in fuel for my WRX to do the trip.

Brent.

·
So long & thx for all the fish
362 Posts
FYI for SoCal folks coming to the Prescott Rally: Horizon Air (Alaska Airlines subsidiary) is starting nonstop service between Prescott & LAX next Monday...their introductory pricing is about what it'd cost in fuel for my WRX to do the trip.

Brent.
Wow! Thanks for the heads up Brent. They also are flying nonstop from SD to Prescott. I think my plans may have changed.

Jonathan

·
R3- into ! L3><
230 Posts
You're welcome Jonathan.

I think the SAN -> PRC flights still go through LAX. Still, a bargain at the $168 introductory roundtrip pricing and if you have Alaska Airlines (or partner) miles to use could cost as low as $5! :D FWIW, the only nonstop Prescott flights I've heard reliable info on are PRC/LAX & PRC/Flagstaff...but PRC/Reno and PRC/Vegas are rumored to be coming.

Brent.

·
So long & thx for all the fish
362 Posts
You're welcome Jonathan.

I think the SAN -> PRC flights still go through LAX. Still, a bargain at the $168 introductory roundtrip pricing and if you have Alaska Airlines (or partner) miles to use could cost as low as $5! :D FWIW, the only nonstop Prescott flights I've heard reliable info on are PRC/LAX & PRC/Flagstaff...but PRC/Reno and PRC/Vegas are rumored to be coming.

Brent.
Your correct, they do route through LAX. Still worth considering, and I do have some Alaska Air miles to burn.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm glad the date has changed! now I can make it!

entry going in now...

*edit: I reg on rallydata. I will be teaming up with Albert Goad. I couldn't get it to match us up on rallydata so I guess we can deal with that when we get there. :D

·
Global Village Idiot
543 Posts

·
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Different Greenhouse Cafe

And here are the menu's for Greenhouse Cafe
Hi, Nick,

I see 18 people on the entry list, so we're ready to rock 'n' roll.

I've gotta point out, however, that this is a different "Greenhouse Cafe" that does not yet have a web presence. However, I just picked up their menu and will scan and post it tomorrow night.

They will also give everyone a 10% discount for breakfast and lunch for the school.

We'll start registration around 9:00 AM, so if you get there by 8:15 or so you can enjoy a hearty breakfast before getting down to the school fun.

Rally on!

John

·
R3- into ! L3><
230 Posts
I'll be running a "tight schedule" Saturday morning (my flight gets into LAX at 8:20am) but will make it up to Thousand Oaks asap...save me a seat Eddie. ;)

Looking forward to the schooling and seeing y'all again!

Brent.

·
Global Village Idiot
543 Posts
I've gotta point out, however, that this is a different "Greenhouse Cafe" that does not yet have a web presence. However, I just picked up their menu and will scan and post it tomorrow night.

They will also give everyone a 10% discount for breakfast and lunch for the school.
Aha, thanks for that John. I was just going on what I googled, seemed to be a good match.

See you all Saturday.

·
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Global Village Idiot
543 Posts
Just want to thank John Dillon again for a great Recce School.
RJ and I learned some excellent and extremely valuable tips on Pace Notes, put them into action successfully in Malibu Canyons and had a great day.

And whaddyaknow, John, the notes we took from the avi file and then reversed for the other direction down the hill we're almost spot on! Fantastic.

Thanks again.

·
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Glad You Enjoyed It

And whaddyaknow, John, the notes we took from the avi file and then reversed for the other direction down the hill we're almost spot on! Fantastic.
I'm glad to hear that you got some value from the school, and especially how the reverse notes gave you a good first pass.

Rally on!

John

·
N43 37.126' W-115 15.273'
1,284 Posts
John,

Thanks for putting this together. The instructional material and your presentation was top notch. We learned quite a bit from the exercises and almost felt that we were really at a rally :D. That last set of roads was sweet!

-e

1 - 20 of 20 Posts