Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
R6 300 FOC!
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
12 rallies (total!), shows promise...handed a WRC drive! I know Nico from when he was on the mountain bike scene, and he's definately got the mental preparation and focus to learn fast in the WRC. He was 10-times World Downhill mountain bike champion, so he also knows what it takes to win! I'm looking forward to seeing how he does.
==============================

Peugeot: two wheelers good
December 16, 2003

Peugeot is gambling on a driver who has contested only 12 rallies in his life as part of its 2004 World Championship campaign. Nicolas Vouilloz, the 27-year-old former mountain bike world champion, will contest six rounds of the series in a 206 WRC, beginning with the Monte Carlo Rally.

Vouilloz has never competed in a World Rally Car, nor outside France. Eight of his rallies have been in the 206 Cup in France, in which he showed such promise that Peugeot let him drive a Super 1600 206 on the Rallye du Var. He set one fastest stage time and a host in the top three.

Vouilloz will be joined on the Monte Carlo Rally next month by Miguel Campos, the Portuguese who finished second in the European Championship this year.

Sweden?s Daniel Carlsson will tackle at least eight loose-surface rounds of the World Championship and Henning Solberg, older brother of World Champion Petter Solberg, will contest seven rounds in a 206 backed by the Norwegian importer.

·
Registered
151 Posts
>
>Peugeot is gambling on a driver who has contested only 12
>rallies in his life as part of its 2004 World Championship
>campaign. Nicolas Vouilloz, the 27-year-old former mountain
>bike world champion, will contest six rounds of the series
>in a 206 WRC, beginning with the Monte Carlo Rally.
>
>Vouilloz has never competed in a World Rally Car, nor
>outside France.

Speaking of wrong continent, I remember back in the mid-80's when mountain biking was all about Americans Joe Murray & Jacquie Phelan, and places like Repack Road & Durango.

When I took my trusty Stumpjumper to Denmark in 1987 to tour the "Danish Mountains", the local bike clubs had never seen modern fat-tire clunkers in the flesh.

Fifteen years later, other countries have taken over a once very American sport and left us choking in their dust.

Wouldn't it be nice if the US could hijack rallying in the same way?
I don't think it will happen in the land of the luxury box, stadium valet parking & the halftime shows with Britney.;-)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts