Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This video of his in-car where he won the stage at Perce Neige this year is pretty good.

Remember, no pace notes, no organizer notes, no studs.

Good memory, and big balls. Remember what it feels like when you have no grip ? Just givin her anyways. Cool.

In memory of their deceased friend/crew. This was emailed to be by a friend, I think he said it was on the french forums or somthing.

http://www.guideauto.com/video/FARLEY39k.wmv

-Pat

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
I was spectating on this stage and Sylvain was truly unbelievable.

Doug Woods

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Great car control; I counted one small snow bank kiss and one almost overcooked corner, recovered nicely --- pretty damned impressive.

What a road!

·
Registered
415 Posts
You're right Pat, Sylvain is the man. That was some awesome car control in what appeared to be extremely greasy conditions. I love watching the steering wheel as he runs the stage... very impressive indeed.

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>Anybody know what stage # that was?

That was either stage 3 or stage 5. I haven't played it all the way through yet, but the number of holes in the snowbanks should tell you whether it is 3 or 5 ;-).

Adrian

·
Registered
280 Posts
It most be the 3....becose there is still snow on the road...wen we got to go.....at the end of the pack it was completely coverred whit ice...

if its the 3...its a scratch time fot Sylvain.

looking at it on the screen...and at the Erickson speed..it dosent look at all like what i remember from that stage? ;) witsh was one of the shortess at P-N...only 8km...compare to some 49km later in the day...

Alain Lavoie
24Rallyteam
http://www.abikeonline.com/24rallyteam/

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
I've been a fan of Sylvain's since watching his in-car from RockyMtn and PacificForest last year when he was hauling despite Phillip having difficulty translating the English notes. Fantastic driving and he handled the off following the brush with the cattlegate very well.

·
Registered
397 Posts
He did make a very nice save in the video.

He comes out of a corner and the back end brushes the snow bank, it then pulls the front end into the bank...He had enough knowledge/balls to floor it and pull it outta the bank. You wouldn't believe the amount of people who would have given up and been stuck there.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Well I hit a bank like that during a TSD rally and of course kept my foot in it. We never popped out and plowed about 75 ft of bank (no rocks or fences) and the car wound up VERY high centered, maybe 3-4 up above the road. Snow is funny like that, somedays you get the bear,...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Absolutely awesome video - Thanks for posting this link Pat!

I have two questions:

1) What kind of tires was Sylvain on? Obviously he is sponsered by Yokohama, but I'm curious if he was running proper rally tires with no studs or something similar to Bridgestone Blizzak's or some of the Nokian Hakka options that are available for "normal" winter driving.

2) What happened to Mr. Gagnon? I've tried following Sylvain career as closely as possible, but "unfortunately" graduate school has been biting into my rally time.

Thanks again,
Simon Rapala
Fruitland, ID

·
Registered
23 Posts
What a geat demonstration of driving skills by Mr. Erickson... Not only is he a fast and agressive driver but he is among the nicest guys in the rally crowd... Sylvain is , in my opinion , among the few guys in Canda who can actually stand up to Pat Richards in a rally..

Au boutt' des coils mon baz will certainly ring a bell to all the french guys who spoke with Sylvain at one moment or another.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts