Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
We do. There just imaginary. That and we don't have the money to pay them. Falken has umbrella girls at Pike's Peak for their rally (non-RA) and drifter guys. Hot little japanese girls too.

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
Every time I ask this people think I'm joking and laugh it off. So seriously this time: can somebody please give a good reason why the time honored technique of placing pretty girls in skimpy outfits next to whatever you want to promote isn't being employed at rallies?

I was ignoring a commercial for some trade show at the local expo center up until the point where the annoying announcer screamed that the Bud Girls will be there. I dunno if I'll go, but it sure as hell made me think about it.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
Registered
583 Posts
I'm as red blooded as the next guy, but....

I think everyone is much better off with the "rallygirls" we already have. Rallying has a lot of great women organizers and competitors that would be very put off by umbrella girls. Some wouldn't care, but it would tend to discourage the future participation of many others and that would be a tremendous loss.

Rich Smith

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
>Every time I ask this people think I'm joking and laugh it
>off. So seriously this time: can somebody please give a good
>reason why the time honored technique of placing pretty girls
>in skimpy outfits next to whatever you want to promote isn't
>being employed at rallies?

Well for one thing it is as Rich pointed out, trying not to offend the sensitivities of the women in the sport (perhaps if we asked nicely they won't mind)

I am not sure I buy that though, there are woman in other motorsports too, and while they may not be competing as much as in rally, they are certainly behind the scenes just as much or more than in rally and it does not stop other sports from doing such a thing

and second it costs a lot of money. I worked with an agency called Umbrella Girls (imagine that) and it was going to be about $1200 per day for two girls plus expenses which would be airfare, hotel, food, etc.

This would be for two professional models who know how to play the game, not the local small town 16 year old beauty queen who is too shy to work a crowd.

I worked with these girls at Sears point for a race and the PR was incredible!!
Not to mention it raised the moral of the competitors tremendously (they had just had a death in the family)

The girls is a BIG part of the reason why drifting and the import racing scene is so successful

·
C.m.f.S.
1,268 Posts
>>I know sooooooo many college girls that would love to do
>>this...
>
>Your college had girls... Hmph, thats wierd.

Ha. I went to tech for a semester.

In the girls dept:
Tech < Northern.

Me and Gingras know where its at.
:p

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
>>>I know sooooooo many college girls that would love to do
>>>this...
>>
>>Your college had girls... Hmph, thats wierd.
>
>Ha. I went to tech for a semester.
>
>In the girls dept:
>Tech < Northern.
>
>Me and Gingras know where its at.

Why don't we just use kids and puppies. They are always popular. I have lots of kids and I need and excuse to get another dog.

NC Wrencher you should really take the winter semester at Michigan Tech babe census. Like they say, pound per pound MTU has more gnarly babes than any other school in the US. BTW, I love gnarly babes in the sauna. RRRRROOOOOWWWWWWW!!!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
>Every time I ask this people think I'm joking and laugh it
>off. So seriously this time: can somebody please give a good
>reason why the time honored technique of placing pretty girls
>in skimpy outfits next to whatever you want to promote isn't
>being employed at rallies?
>
>I was ignoring a commercial for some trade show at the local
>expo center up until the point where the annoying announcer
>screamed that the Bud Girls will be there. I dunno if I'll
>go, but it sure as hell made me think about it.
>
>Dennis Martin
>[email protected]
>920-432-4845

I know why. BECAUSE WE ARE A BUNCH OF FREAKIN' SQUARES.

·
Tightens!
81 Posts
>I'm as red blooded as the next guy, but....
>
>I think everyone is much better off with the "rallygirls" we
>already have. Rallying has a lot of great women organizers and
>competitors that would be very put off by umbrella girls. Some
>wouldn't care, but it would tend to discourage the future
>participation of many others and that would be a tremendous
>loss.
>
>Rich Smith
>
>
Exactly.

K

·
Dirt surfer
1,367 Posts
...'Cuz the black flies at Maine Forest (or skeeters at Ojib or any one of a dozen other North American forest rallies) would eat them for lunch. Sad but true, it's hard to be an Official Umbrella Girl when you are slathered in bug dope.

Dave G

"...Embrace loose gravel, beware big trees..."

·
Registered
143 Posts
You have to ask yourself is the average competitor has use of Umbrella Girls. Actually, at this point no competitor really has much to promote. Most people have no ligitimate use for models at event, besides having something pretty to look at when you come in for service, and if you're paying for that than you need to get you're priorities straight.

If some or the sanctioning bodies or the major sponsors decide it's a worthwile investment, than you get Umprella girls, like we had at Rim. There are logistical and cost concerns, but the big one is having an legitimate use.

I suppose I wouldn't mind if some of my entry fee went to Models at events, but if we want to be more than a bunch of schoolboys hooting over a stolen playboy then we need to work the umbrella girls into a buisness plan.

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
Ever punish yourself thru a whole episode of "NOPI Nonsense" or whatever its called on Speed?

Didja notice the crowd around the bathing suit competition?

Didja notice how empty the stands were when they were actually drag racing?

Import drag wouldn't survive without the girls, in my opinion. The girls bring the young guys. The young guys bring Xbox, Sobe, etc. and the thing perpetuates.

Then again, looking at that crowd, I can't imagine them unrestrained at a rally spectator area without a lot of big guys with black shirts that said SECURITY.

I like the alignment with OLN. I think it aspires to reach a more adventurous, more outdoorsy, and, dare I say, more intelligent fan base.

A business plan that includes models would hopefully use the eye candy in a more tasteful method than NOPI.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts