Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Old Fart
560 Posts
RE: Ah, damn choices are unique.

I still use my Halda. I had an old Saab GT 850 which came with a Speedpilot installed in the dash as standard equipment, but I never used it in a rally. John Gingrich and I competed from 1978 to about 1995 using a Halda and a Curta. We always competed against the computer cars and won the Ohio Rally Championship in 1980.

Paul Jaeger KC8YRY
PRIMO Stage Crews
For a Good Time, Call PRIMO!

·
Registered
583 Posts

Andrew,

Last stage rally with the beloved Halda in my '74 Colt was 1997. It's speedo-cable driven so wheel spin makes setup much more of an Art than science. It's rather like predetermining the number of tequilla shots you can hold on a particular day.

First, the percentage of odo error must be calc'd given the diff and tires used. That's the baseline. Then the appropriate halda gears are selected and you go rallying. Ooops! By empirical evidence and route book distances, you then determine added percentage of error based on wheel spin and ...um... other factors. (For my son, about 10% over a 10 mile stage.) After that a good ballaster ..er.. co-driver will "mentally adjust" the readings to compensate for stage distance, conditions and how frisky the driver is feeling. Oye! The good old days.

But we never had a power outage. Hey, anyone have one of those crazy outside the bodywork front wheel cable drive take-off thingies?

Rich Smith

Vive le "Pro-le-Ralliat"

·
Registered
77 Posts

I had one of these darned cable outside the hubcap things. Pain in the butt!

I was spectating at Defi (the OLD one, at the racetrack stage)), where I had seeen a Dacia (with a Gordini motor) running. They had run the cable off the rear wheel (FWD car), up through the rear air vent in the C pillar, inside the car over the doors, and down the A pillar to the Halda. I though that was a good idea, so copied it in my Renault 12. Turns out that the right angle drive is pretty fragile, compared to all the rocks that the front wheels throw off. Ended up covering it in rubber hose, with a tin shield for the drive.

And I've used a langwell once. I'm not sure how you ever could get a good factor. All it had was an adjustment for 'faster' or 'slower'. I think Peter Miller still has it. Along with his two Curtas (Just in case one goes bad, if the calculator batteries die..)

For obscure:
I had a 4 function calculator, rigged up so a magnet on a gear in the car odometer passed by a reed relay. The relay was wired across the contact of the "=" key. You set the calculator up so that it was adding a constant (the gear turned 20 time per Km, so the constant was nominally .05). THis was soooooo cool! Just think: You could input a new milage, and even run backwards, and even change the constant, if you were reading a bit high or low. And unlike the trip odo in the car, it didn't need .25 Km to start counting after a reset!
Unlike the halda, it didn't have gears that would start skipping, whenever you were at a rally. (But never skipped in weeks of testing before a rally!)

Frank de Kat

·
50 L3/CR 70 Yump 200
997 Posts
RE: Master = Twin or Trip?

What MM said goes for me too.
And NEVER, EVER take a Curta apart!
(there's a Steven King movie in each and every one).

btw ACP - You ever codrive?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

The TwinMaster and the TripMaster are both in the "Master" series. There was a Tripmeter which was tiny but, as Frank points out, constantly adjustable with a little clutch like the Pilots. The Tripmeter was the basis for the construction of the Langwell.

I do, in fact, TSD codrive. Did the five days of the Monte Classic with a borrowed Tripmaster and my own speed tables on Excel. For TSD and especially the brisk, intensely navigational TSD, I think that's the interesting side of the car.

We were in a valley in the Alps running together with four other cars - a DB2/4, a Jag Mk2, a TR4, and a Zephyr. We were right in the middle - third on the road - and tooling through this valley at a good clip. I knew that we were coming up on a turn left in about a tenth but there was no road to be seen as we came around a banked right hander. I told my driver to go for the end of the guardrail on the outside and sure enough there was a little dirt track over the bank.

The pandemonium behind us was terrific. The Aston and the Jag that had been in front both locked all four wheels and snapped around - the TR4 was just able to follow us and the Zephyr wallowed around and just made it too. After that I resolved to never follow anyone again.

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
L1 !!! HPR into HPL
950 Posts

Yes I have used the odo drive on the hub cap as well as purpose built odo drives which attach to the wheel itself.

There is a problem with the survey in that if someone used more than one of the items described, they can't vote more than for one. I for instance used a twin master, trip master, speed pilot, and various other pieces of equipment yet my one vote is all I can make.

David Weiman
[email protected]

·
Flat over crest
303 Posts

Have and use a Twinmaster when we run in the Vintage class at the POR (TSD) Rally.

Nice picture not attached here:

Scott
www.teamharco.com
Team Harco Motorsports
"Win on Sunday, Sleep on Monday"

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts

I sold three Twins and a Trip to fund my personal stage rally renaissance in the late 90s - now I'm fresh out of the little black boxes. Youse converts the Haldas into cash money and then youse converts the money into stuff that went into getting those rallytrucks to events around the country. An interesting formula fer sure ...

Halley ...
ProRally #86
http://www.realautosport.com

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
Odometers

I tried voting for the Langwell, but I kept getting a message that I had already voted. Weird.

Anyway, I have used a Trip, Twin, Speed Pilot and Langwell. The Langwell is the best mechancial rally odometer, period. Won a lot of rallies with it. Used a Twin Master as back-up.

Doug Woods

·
Registered
366 Posts

>I still use my Halda. I had an old Saab GT 850 which came
>with a Speedpilot installed in the dash as standard
>equipment, but I never used it in a rally. John Gingrich
>and I competed from 1978 to about 1995 using a Halda and a
>Curta. We always competed against the computer cars and won
>the Ohio Rally Championship in 1980.
>
>Paul Jaeger KC8YRY
>PRIMO Stage Crews
>For a Good Time, Call PRIMO!

Actually the SAAB GT-750 came with Halda Speedpilot-not the SAAB GT-850, and I have used it in TSD rallies. We also have used "Twin" in pro rally and still do in TSD/Monte's along with Curta.

·
Registered
37 Posts
RE: Odometers

I have used Halda Twin & Tripmasters, and would like to do some "vintage" TSD rallying with my Curtas/Haldas/Heuer clocks. I have a Langwell-modified Speedpilot (w/external cam-driven microswitch, presumably to operate an electro-mechanical counter?).

There is one lurker here who has a working Kearfott (and possibly two of them??).

Greg Lester

·
Registered
140 Posts

I had a Halda Twin in my old SAAB 99. It was dead on for 14/62-15 Michelins & I never had any problems with it.

Except for not having any other gears for it... So, Ole Holter comes down to Mexico for his first ever rally and gets to rewrite the whole routebook changing km to miles. What fun!

·
Old Fart
560 Posts

I couldn't remember if it was an 850GT or a 750GT. I only had it a short while.

Paul Jaeger KC8YRY
PRIMO Stage Crews
For a Good Time, Call PRIMO!

edited for spelling

·
Left seat and not British!
785 Posts

1971 Moonlight Monte and P.O.R. co-driving in a Corvair using a Tommy Box. Anybody remember Captain Thomas?

Kim DeMotte
Official Old Fart, etc.

·
Registered
253 Posts

>1971 Moonlight Monte and P.O.R. co-driving in a Corvair
>using a Tommy Box. Anybody remember Captain Thomas?
>
>Kim DeMotte
>Official Old Fart, etc.

Captain Hunley E. Thomas', USN. I've been looking for a manual from any of the 13 versions, and any photo for models 1-10.

Bill Jonesi

1 - 20 of 31 Posts