Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that Kurt is gone, it is time to think about a replacement.

I would like to have Sue Robinson considered for the position. She was the Director of the California Rally Series for several years, and was very succesfull. Sue is a rallyist that understand the needs of both, the competitors and the organizers.

Tony Chavez

·
Flat over crest
303 Posts
>Sue is a
>rallyist that understand the needs of both, the competitors
>and the organizers.
>
>Tony Chavez

Someone who understands the needs of the competitors AND the organizers? We can't have that. That would actually make sense!

The departing dicktator understood neither. Good riddance.

We wish Sue the best of luck and offer our support should she decide to stay at the position.

Scott
www.teamharco.com
Team Harco Motorsports
"Win on Sunday, Sleep on Monday"

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
While I would definitly like to have someone heading the department that has competed as well as organized, what about bringing someone from overseas who might be able to better align us with the rest of the world?

This would surely put the US back on course to having a WRC round.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Bah! GIVE UP THE WRC DREAM!

I want fun, enjoyable rallies for CLUB MEMBERS!

No knee jerk reactions to the FIA. No knee jerk reactions to help Subaru and Mitsubishi battle it out.

I want dirt roads, good times and a STABLE RULEBOOK that can be followed and enforced at US events!

Brian

·
Flat over crest
303 Posts
>This would surely put the US back on course to having a WRC
>round.

Hosting a round of the WRC is not consistent with properly operating a CLUB based rally series for CLUB MEMBERS.

The US is a third world country when it comes to rally competition. Many of us don't mind keeping it that way. For example: keeping costs within the budgets of average working people, keeping competition and comradere at a friendly, even family like level, etc.

Bringing a WRC event to the US will do nothing to help US competitors. The SCCA is not the right group to be working toward bringing WRC to the US, anyway. The SCCA is a CLUB of dues paying members that should be acting on behalf of those members.

We are walking a fine line between keeping the sport for the competitors or trying to bring it to the public. We are not likely to get both with the legal climate in this country.

Scott
www.teamharco.com
Team Harco Motorsports
"Win on Sunday, Sleep on Monday"

·
R6 300 FOC!
1,513 Posts
>>I want fun, enjoyable rallies for CLUB MEMBERS!

Isn't this what Club rallies provide? Pro rally = professional. What's so wrong about having a world class professional rally series in the States? There will still be plenty (and probably even MORE) club-based rallies for those who don't have big budgets.

I realize this is opening the same can of worms that has been debated over and over by various people...but I'll continue to point it out. }>

·
Registered
339 Posts
Maybe the name Pro rally should be changed to "National" rally.

There are no Professional US ralliers....nobody is cashing a check and nobody's W2 tax form states "Rally driver."

Brian

·
Registered
245 Posts
Why do we need to be in line with the FIA? They're doing a bang up job with the WRC to be sure... What with factories contemplating leaving and others contemplating setting up a rival series. Hmm, I didn't know Kurt was running WRC... ;)

Point is, while we certainly can have a PRO series, we shouldn't try to get one at the expense of Club. I don't really know what the FIA can do to help us out at the club level...

Nick Polimeni
[email protected]
www.odysseyhouseonline.com

·
Registered
253 Posts
>>>I want fun, enjoyable rallies for CLUB MEMBERS!
>
>Isn't this what Club rallies provide? Pro rally =
>professional. What's so wrong about having a world class
>professional rally series in the States? There will still
>be plenty (and probably even MORE) club-based rallies for
>those who don't have big budgets.
>
>I realize this is opening the same can of worms that has
>been debated over and over by various people...but I'll
>continue to point it out. }>

NO! Most people don't want ProRally to be a "world class
professional rally series" because they have enough sense
to realize it can never be that. They want it to return to
being National ClubRally that more people can afford to run,
which it was before Spitzner messed with it.

Bill Jonesi

P.S I too would like to see Sue Robinson as Rally Director,
assuming she has a sanity lapse enough to want the job ;-)

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
>
>NO! Most people don't want ProRally to be a "world class
>professional rally series".

NO, the correct reply would be: Most people who post on Specialstage don't want ProRally to be a "world class
professional rally series"

Believe me, there are many, many people who do want the sport to grow, but stay away from SS.com

>They want it to return to
>being National ClubRally that more people can afford to run,

I doubt many more people could afford to do a national club series either. What you should be asking for is better regional club series

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
name game

so what we are really complaining about is the name of the series. i propose we call clubrally fred and call prorally jane.

seriously its all down to the name right, and not wanting some team w/near unlimited funds and resources steppin on your toes. and you dont want seemingly unneeded rule changes every year. dont grumble here, send notes to kansas. that is what i plan to do. i paid 75 dollars and i want my moneys' worth! and when i pay for my club license next season i will want a full return on that money too! i will confess that getting my first weekend free at ofpr felt a little like stealing i had so much fun! definately got a good return there!
greg

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts
>NO, the correct reply would be: Most people who post on
>Specialstage
don't want ProRally to be a "world class
>professional rally series"
>
>Believe me, there are many, many people who do want the
>sport to grow, but stay away from SS.com

If your second statement is true, then the first statement is inevitable.

·
Registered
415 Posts
>NO! Most people don't want ProRally to be a "world class
>professional rally series" because they have enough sense
>to realize it can never be that. They want it to return to
>being National ClubRally that more people can afford to run,
>which it was before Spitzner messed with it.

I am afraid I am going to have to disagree with you Bill. It's the words "most" and "never" that cause this.

"Some" people don't want World Class Professional Rally in the United States, and "Some" people believe that the U.S. can't handle a professional series. But I am not one of them, and I personally hope that some day, I can take my kids to an event and show them World caliber drivers on roads that I raced on.

I am sure there are a lot of other people that feel this way as well. I would assume that the people that work for AV Sport, TAD, Cascade, SubeSport, 4Star Motorsports, RMR, TMS, Libra Racing, Vermount Sports Car, P-Sport, Susquehanna Motorsport, Road Race Engineering, ProDrive US, Tim O'Neils rally school, European Rally School, etc are all hoping to see the sport to continue to grow so that they can continue to be paid for their work.

Besides, even if they got rid of the TV package, and the Manufacturer backed teams and they took ourselves back to 1980's way of racing, how would that save money for the teams? The works teams pay for the entire TV show, and they also help out private teams with contingency money.... Lets be honest with ourselves, the only thing that has raised the price of racing is our own sense of competition.

But then again, I could be completely wrong

Jeff Burmeister
SpecialStage.com LLC
The North American Rally Resource

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
We need a "World class professional rally series" so us media types can get free buffet tables, T-shirts and 38 cents a mile to go to a rally. If it's not a big time series, our wives / girfreinds / mothers will make us go out and get real jobs!

Can you imagine if one of us actually had a position to make policy decisions....

Mike
(Washed-up media flunkie)

G

·
>I would assume that the people that work for AV
>Sport, TAD, Cascade, SubeSport, 4Star Motorsports, RMR, TMS,
>Libra Racing, Vermount Sports Car, P-Sport, Susquehanna
>Motorsport, Road Race Engineering, ProDrive US, Tim O'Neils
>rally school, European Rally School, etc are all hoping to
>see the sport to continue to grow so that they can continue
>to be paid for their work.

That is the tragedy and legacy of the Spitzner era.

The past six years have been the darkest I have seen
in the past 30 years.

If only Spitzner's cheerleaders would go with him,
and others replace the monarchy with democracy.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
>
>
>That is the tragedy and legacy of the Spitzner era.
>
>The past six years have been the darkest I have seen
>in the past 30 years.
>
>If only Spitzner's cheerleaders would go with him,
>and others replace the monarchy with democracy.

Yeah, you got to hate it when people have jobs!

·
Registered
142 Posts
From my point of view, I don't mind world class compitition in the US, but it has proven tough to accomplish with a club based organization without distorting the experience for those who want less-frill more affordable rally. Since about half of the club events are run in conjunction with a Pro event, if you try to achieve this by strictly seperating pro and club, you lose half of your club events. Is there enough resources (road use time, organizer time, volunteer time...) to hold twice as many stand-alone events ?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Now now Morgan, I think there are a number of SS users like me who would like to see the US have a world class series and would like the sport to grow a grate deal. There are however a number of ways to do this and I think since 1998 to pressent the SCCA has not managed to create an enviroment that can produce "world class" or Substainable Growth.

Let take a look at the TV package, with out a doubt a good step for reaching more people and improving the number of marketing impressions for the cars that show up in the programing. However as US Rally TV is in such week demand the air time has to be bought not not sold. Is this substainable? Only if there is an income stream, the SCCA is at the mercy of two teams on this.

To have a world class series is not all that hard from the SCCA's stand point, they need clear rules and proceadures with a lot of stability in both. The rules and procedures need to be aplied in a fair and consistant manner at all times. They also need to have very good and open communications with the stake holders, ie the teams, the organisers and so forth. These are not traits I would say the SCCA has excelled at in the last 5 years (if ever).

I think a number of people have misunderstood the rumblings of the Special Stage poster, I and many others are not against growth or quality or a more "pro" enviroment. In my case I am very frustrated at the poor job and slow process the SCCA has made in those areas not that they wish to go there.

When I look at doing the National Championship I can not find a way to make a positive return on my investment. I think that in the 5 years we have had Kurt my expected returen has gone down. Cost has gone up and income potintial has stayed the same. Faced with this I have been unable to bring my self to invest in US Rally. Case in point I just got a check last week that would fund a National GpN program for a year. I have decided to take up flying rahter than do that however since planes are non deprciating assets (sustainable) and I am not limited to 12 or so events a year, I can go fly any time.

Derek

·
Registered
946 Posts
>Maybe the name Pro rally should be changed to "National"
>rally.
>
>There are no Professional US ralliers....nobody is cashing a
>check and nobody's W2 tax form states "Rally driver."
>
>Brian

Yeah, bring back National and Divisional. We don't need no stinking ProRally/ClubRally.

Kurt on to greener pastures. Check.

Put Space back in ProRally. Pro Rally.

Now all we need is some cost containment. Fewer yellow shirts at each event = less cost?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts