Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of people stateside, well two really, were wondering if any of you rally-happy northerners were taking advantage of the corolla? we were curious to know because we are building a couple and thought it best to learn from your mistakes and not ours. and besides we know how people like to talk about their rally-cars and quite frankly we want to listen. so all and any help, advise, disdain, jealousy or any thing else you want to throw at us would be greatly appriciated. We live in bellingham and so our proximity to Vancouver is ideal for people who want to give us radical suspension and motors, we will even pick them up since our gas is cheaper than yours(and better)

Thank you
Noah

if you want to email me that is quite fun too my inbox is quite empty and could use some company. [email protected] :p

·
I put the hurt on dirt
248 Posts
Ha Ha!
We have pictures, You Cannot HIDE!
if you know of a RWD Corolla GTS sitting around give us a call.
we would also be interested in junk yards/ parts cars/ women.

pals from south o' the border
Adam

"I put the hurt on dirt"

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
They were definitely a staple of the Ontario rally scene until about 5 years ago. I have no idea what is available for them now...

I don't know who would have currently useful info though.

Adrian

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WoW Adrian thanks for that extremely informative response, next time i need something hopefully you will reply again.

Naoh

·
Registered
409 Posts
Noah,

Since you live in Bellingham you're within a short drive of what are probably two of the best Corollas still in active rally duty!

Check this out:

First, old skool liftback style
http://www.rallytt.com/mountaintrials/car-11-001.jpg

Thats an injected 18R with 16 valve head by Schnitzer of Germany
(ex-Toyota Canada factory car, 1980 overall champion Taisto Heinonen)
http://www.saphotography.ca/mountain_trials_rally_2002/mountain-trials-rally-2002-0010.jpg

Second, the GTS - but not just any GTS, its got a 22R(?) with twin webers
(ex-Toyota Canada factory car, 1986 Bjorn Anderson/John Luttemburger)
http://www.rmtcontracting.com/rsport/photos/dryadquest/dryad_b.jpg

You can see either or both at the Pacific Forest Rally, a national event on June 14th in Merritt, BC (less than 3 hrs from the border).

more here:
http://www.rallybc.com

Cheers,

Bill Westhead

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ah, yes... the "hachiroku" (AE86). REAL big in Japan, especially among the "drift racing" set. Really, those things are thick as thieves, if you know where to look. There are two in my neighborhood (a notchback and a hatch) and I can think of at least five others here in Sarnia (pop 75k). None unfortunately for sale, tho.

Jeremy Oreskovich
[email protected]

**"Will Rally For Food"**

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>WoW Adrian thanks for that extremely informative response,
>next time i need something hopefully you will reply again.

Yeah, I know it wasn't much use, but pretty much all the Corollas here (and their drivers) have disappeared off the face of the earth... Mostly, I think, they rusted out (that includes the drivers ;-)).

Some possible contacts in Ontario:

Ross Wood [email protected] - who probably still has a stack of wheels and maybe some parts.

Yoshio Kinoshita (Japanese Automotive) - 416 781 1178
he used to rally a GTS 10+ years ago, and his business is modifiying Japanese cars.

Adrian

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
I have a '74 Corolla which is nearly complete. Just needs paint and everything installed. Will be at Gorman in Aug and maybe rallysprints before then. Strong and light and simple to work on.

·
Registered
665 Posts
RE: just about everybody...

There are a ton of them in Quebec. Lots of parts too.

I remember them being the production car of choice in the late eighties here in Ontario:

Yoshio Kinoshita
Richard Sharpe
Andy Browning
etc.

OK. I'm going to give you a link to rally cars for sale that I wanted to keep to myself. Don't tell anyone about it.:eek: Look under 'voitures'

(Notice the two GTSs FS near the top)

http://www.fsr-rally.com/rsq/annonces/

You can still run these things in Nat'l P2 up here - we could use an injection of competitors in that class...

Robin (how's that for useful)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Robin...just when i didn't think you could be of any help you post this email...and totally redeem yourself. thanks alot i sent that guy an email in french none the less so hopefully he get back to me. thanks again.

Hey bill, who owns the old style corolla? If that car ever goes up for sale i want it.
Saw it in washinton once...I can't deny it it's toyota flyer i just want to get in it.

That rally conflicts with the shitepoke rally in shelton...but i think ill go to canada instead. if anyone wants to go camping with me and my amigos let me know. we build a good fire and know how to get drunk.

looks like they are going to start a war tomorrow...good thing i live so close to canada who knows when our stupid president is going to start up the draft again...please make fun of him i wont be offended.

·
Registered
409 Posts

Noah,

>Hey bill, who owns the old style corolla? If that car ever
>goes up for sale i want it.
>Saw it in washinton once...I can't deny it it's toyota flyer
>i just want to get in it.

IF that car ever goes up for sale it will be mighty pricey (>$10k)...

>That rally conflicts with the shitepoke rally in
>shelton...but i think ill go to canada instead. if anyone
>wants to go camping with me and my amigos let me know. we
>build a good fire and know how to get drunk.

Actually, Dryad's Quest/Shitepoke was moved to June 7-8, so no conflict with our National Rally: PFR on June 14th. We wouldn't want to prevent our American cousins in the NW from coming north to try and "kick some Canadian butt" :p

Cheers,

Bill

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

>IF that car ever goes up for sale it will be mighty pricey
>(>$10k)...

Thats an understatement, but still more appealing than a DSM or Subaru.
>
>>That rally conflicts with the shitepoke rally in
>>shelton...but i think ill go to canada instead. if anyone
>>wants to go camping with me and my amigos let me know. we
>>build a good fire and know how to get drunk.
>
>Actually, Dryad's Quest/Shitepoke was moved to June 7-8, so
>no conflict with our National Rally: PFR on June 14th. We
>wouldn't want to prevent our American cousins in the NW from
>coming north to try and "kick some Canadian butt" :p
>
>Cheers,

Sweet, Double duty. actually since i have finals the week after shitepoke maybe i will just come to canada, never been there, should be fun. see you then

noah
>
>Bill

1 - 13 of 13 Posts