Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for somebody who does Cryogenic. I need some parts for my central diff to go throught that process.
Stephan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Stephan,

I don't think there is a cryo place in California that serves motorsports.
Contact Leading Edge Cryogenics in Arizona (928-567-1279). We just had a GTX transfer carrier treated there, and it didn't break at RIM. They are a very good company with reasonable prices, and they understand race cars.

chris

·
Registered
192 Posts
For anyone interested...we are now offering REM ISF (Isotropic Super Finishing) in house. This process is being used extensively by many top motorsport teams (F1, WRC, NASCAR, etc.). The benefits of the process itself are quite far reaching. But additionally, certain advanced surface coating processes require parts to by REM treated in advance of the applying the surface coatings.

For additional info: http://www.remchem.com/cms/index.php?id=2

We can offer very competitive pricing. Examples of items that can be processed: transmission gears & shafts including final drives, LSD pressure rings & cross shafts, bearing races, shift rails, camshafts & lifters, crankshafts, etc. Essentially anything steel subject to sliding friction will see a benefit. For most components the dimensional change in the part is approx. 0.0001in or less.

--Dave
www.rallispec.com

·
AC2RC
463 Posts
When you talk to the companies that provide it they claim all kinds of wonderfull things. When it comes down to independant tests it often shows no benefit. Talking to a metallurgist who's in the business and on the ASM Cryogenics committee, he was unable to provide scientific research as to what exactly was the mechanism and why it's beneficial. On steels we know it can reduce retained austenite in hardened parts but that's all we can say. I don't care to accept things just on faith , that's not science .An UNBIASED independant test is the only way to proceed. I've been through this with more than one industry and I'm not impressed.

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
I went ahead and had Liberty's do their Mikronite treatment to all my gears last time I had the Xtrac innards in there...it was pretty economical compared to the welding and machining of the dogs.

Wear seems to be very good (minimal), but the gear teeth never got banged up badly before the treatment...just the dogs.

I didn't get the R & P done, and I have some pitting going on there. Next time I will get that done, too.

This type of surface treatment seems to be coming standard on most of the higher end motorsport transmission parts now.

disclaimer: I have very little PROOF of benefit...like anything else.

·
N43 37.126' W-115 15.273'
1,284 Posts
For clarification, both Mikronite or REM ISF treatments appear to be "vibratory" processes for surface treatment as opposed to cyro processes. Is cryo processing out of vogue for strengthing? I'm primarily interested in toughing up my R&P.

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
Yeah, Mikronite is like microscopic shot-peening.

When Diversified Cryo was a series sponsor (Frozen Rotors), they gave away certificates to get free cryo treatment as a contingency. I know some folks took them up on the deal. Maybe someone from those days is still around and can give you some thoughts. I think Mark Utecht may have had some rotors treated? I never took them up on the deal.

·
150 K Right 4 Into Truck Dust
1,042 Posts
I have 8 piston Brembo Brakes with 15" rotors on a BMW X-5.
Nothing but brake shimmy from the front, I was told to have a new set of rotors, pads and have them Cryo-ed, big bucks and it still shimmies, I have taken this vehicle to two shops and it still shimmies, the Cryo place was in Newbury Park, CA I do not remember the name, Freeze treat or Heat treat you tell me?
Oh and the BMW, It's OK, pretty fast but then again it kinda SUCKS.
Aint No Truck.

Bill Holmes
Truck #44

·
straight at T
647 Posts
In my experience cryo treating transmission gears and that sort of thing does absolutely no good. They break just as easily either way. However, there does seem to be a benefit for brake rotors. In 2000 I was preparing Pat Richard's Subaru 2.5RS that we won the PGT Championships with. He would go through a set of factory brake rotors every event or two. The carbon pads would wear them down quickly and they would often crack. Diversified Cryogenics was a contingency sponsor back then and we won a bunch of free treatments so we had it done and those rotors lasted half a season with no cracking and looked better than new factory rotors after one rally. And you know Pat has never exactly been easy on things. I was impressed. So freezing seems to help Subaru rotors, anyway.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Cryo to gears

Back a fews years ago, when was racing karts, the Honda CR80 motor would go through main shafts in the gearbox regularly. Most went to cryo treatment and solved the problem. It may depend in the original manufacturing process as to the positive effect of cryo treatment.

In addition, my engine builder would cryo the whole motor. He said it made porting and machine work much easier.

YMMV

Lee

1 - 19 of 19 Posts