Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rally car was painted Baja Orange last week, just towed it home from the shop last night. Pictures up soon. Budget will take at least a month to recover, so now it's time to plan things out. I have the old Sport & Rally stripes from Finland; otherwise I intend to keep decoration minimal.

One idea I had is to attach a large white vinyl circle to both doors permanently. In multiple venues and club races, numbers will go on and off quick. The vinyl backing seems to be a nice way to facilitate this without messing up the new paint.

Thoughts?

Any possible infringement of the Binkulations here?

Used to have a permanent PRO Rally number, 96 of course. Am I dating myself ;) ??

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you are ever going to run a ProRally or a ClubRally that is a support event to a ProRally, you need to use the SCCA number backer. When you do your first ClubRally event, you will also be given a regular car number that you will use at all events.

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts
If the circle is big enough for the whole pro number backer, that should work. If you don't plan to enter any pro events (or club events run concurrently with a pro) your plan should be fine.

:+ Jim :+

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
>If the circle is big enough for the whole pro number backer,
>that should work. If you don't plan to enter any pro events
>(or club events run concurrently with a pro) your plan
>should be fine.

Thanks guys for the feedback!

Thanks to the SCCA alienating independent rallyists with (among other things) their arbitrary and possibly illegal 20-year-rule, I won't be entering any pro events in this country.

However there are other Vintage events and hillclimbs, some of which take place in our much more reasonable neighbour to the north. It's impossible to predict which numbers I'll be handed out, what kind of glue; etc.

If the paint has enough time to cure; say, a few weeks, would a vinyl circle be removable without damaging the new paint? Might be nice to remove the circle entire from time to time for practising and occasional street driving. These circles are inexpensive from the Pegasus catalog.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Magnets

I've had really good luck with magnetic stock. You could make the large white circles out of the magnetic sheet and stick your numbers to it. Then for street driving, the magnets come right off. I've run 2 rallys with the magnets, and many CA to AZ commutes for rallycrosses at 80 to 90 mph for hours at a time, haven't lost a magnet yet.

Local printing and sign shops should be able to do it for you.

Gabe

·
Registered
533 Posts
Give the paint time to cure, polish it (I suggest 3M imperial hand glaze), and apply a coat of high quality wax. Don't use the cheap stuff with polish in it. I use Meguires High Tech, and have used Griot's Best of Show.

The vinyl will go down nicely (55 degrees is the ideal application temperature for the vinyl), it will tend to stay on well, and with a little bit of coaxing, should come back up cleanly.

If you want to try and put a temporary piece of vinyl down on top of that, use a coat of wax on top of the first layer. I still wouldn't guarantee that the second layer will come up without trying to take the first layer with it.

jb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts