Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While we're discussing everything else, I thought it appropriate to create a thread on what to do with the spectating aspect.

I have only been in the rally 'scene' for a little over a year. Therefore, I was never around for the 'good days' when a spectator could wonder the woods at their pleasure to watch the rally.

That being said, I have only been a spectator at -spectator- stages. To me, this is just fine, and I think it can definitely work with more planning, more spectator corners and better views possibly including bleachers. (Some corners have hundreds of fans)

I couldn't find the thread to quote, but Lurch had some great ideas about spectating including paid wristbands, a "fan central" so to speak, and an independent group to monitor fans.

Now some of you may say that the sport may be better off without fans. I however disagree. I feel that the fan base could be used more efficiently to generate revenue and increase awareness about the sport. To quote Lurch again, 5000 fans x 10$ a wristband =50,000$.

It was Subaru of America that brought me to LSPR last year to watch the pro-drive cars duke it out. This is what made me a fan, then a volunteer for several events, and now a co-driver. Without spectating, the sport may die due to lack of new drivers to pay for costs, and also lack of new volunteers.

your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Good point.

I had the opportunity to observe the most reponsible and the most irresponsible spectators around the world. I am not sure if there really is an effective spectator control method anywhere in the world, including the WRC. By nature, rally spectating is difficult, requires a lot of effort from the spectator maybe that's why it's not very popular here. I believe educating the spectators will be a lot more easier than trying to control them and there will still be irresponsible ones. It's almost like a double edge sword, can't live with them, can't live without them.

Many organisers are trying to charge a fee for spectating, not mainly because of revenue, mostly in order to offset the spectator control and spectator transportation expenses.

Considering the roundy-rounders' media domination, it is evident that rally affacionados don't have much opportunity to watch it on TV, if we take away their spectating privilages aswell, I'm affraid we'd be hurting the sport.

My $0.02

Cheers
M.Samli

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I think every rally should have a superspecial somewhere, even just a shortish rallycross course where people can see all the cars in action. Bonus points if there is a rallycross run before the rally actually starts where spectators can race their own cars. Charge $30 for a rallycross that takes place before the Parc Expose of a rally, with entry you get in free to the superspecial, otherwise its $5. If you've competed in the rallycross or paid the $5, you get a wristband that gives you freeer reign at the spectator spots maybe?

Just ideas. Figure out exactly how they promote drifting, then cross it over to us.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Is there any sense to the thought of charging a small (like 2-5 dollars) to spectators at parc expose for forest spectating and more at the spectator locations (in the forest).
In doing this the spectators have signed a waiver ect and we are less at risk because they have the risks spelled out on the ticket or wrist band.

The reason for more at the actual spectator area is to promote more of a show at parc expose and service (better for sponsors ect).
Just a tought...
Todd
#205 (for now...)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that might be more difficult to control with 2 different prices and 2 different wristbands.

I think 10$ is a fair price because it is cheaper than spectating at drag races, oval tracks and so on. And what's 10$ when spectators drive up for the weekend, stay in a hotel, and go out to eat for every meal.

Also, I think that the cancellation of a stage due to spectators in non-spectator areas should be enforced SEVERELY! At the last couple rallies I was at, there were spectator problems, yet the stages WEREN'T canceled. If a driver or worker notices spectators, they should radio in the problem and cancel the stage.

This way, it will be CLEAR that the only way you can see the cars is at the expose and at the specator locations.

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
Like em or not, we need spectators. Costs will only go up, that's just a fact. The days of run what you brung in the woods at night for beer money are over. The only way to offset those costs is with sponsor money, and they are going to want exposure.

In order to get specators we need to give them more bang for their buck. They need a reason to trek up to the woods above and beyond seeing some cool cars drive sideways, otherwise they'll just head to a local drift event.

Something I advocated in a post earlier this year was an idea that I think Ray Hocker and the Ramada Express guys had. Run an "Adventure Rally" alongside the ProRally. Basically for $25 dollars you get a route book, spectator guide, wristbands, free Subaru goodies, etc.. all in a nice packet. This route book will take you to all the spectator points, services, parc exposes, local points of interest, etc.... It will give you arrival and departure times, and special access to prime spectator areas. Also could have a picnic tent at service that is "adventure rallyists only" and other perks.

The idea is to make spectating easy. Right now you have to be kinda hard core to watch a rally. You have to look up schedules, break out maps, buy a scanner to tune into the net, and plan your night out ahead of time. Some of think this is fun, including me, but for the average sit on your ass NASCAR fan this too much work. By laying it all out for people they don't have to worry about it anymore for a measly $25 (or whatever price). They also get the excitement of being IN a rally, not just watching one. They get routebooks, and maybe timecards, and they can bring that all home and show their buddies. It will bring a little more understanding to the sport, and add some fun to boot. Finally, the organizers will now where the spectators are, where they are going, and when they'll be there, making control much easier. They can send the majority of spectator marshalls right along with the group

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
Registered
342 Posts
>They also have helicopter rides over the active
>stages.

Ahhh daaaang! That would be friggen cool! If the pilot had a British accent it would be like you were watching rally coverage on tv but way better.

I would really like to see something like the VIP thing happen here in the states. Thing is though is that Canadians think rally is really cool and Americans don't really have a clue in general. That said I think promotion and advertisement is the key as far as getting people to come out and watch. There are a ton of things that could improve spectating but its a tough sell cause of all the insurance riff raff and getting the money to make the investment. We need lots of workers, lots of SAFE corners that people can get in and out of, lots of workers, and promotion and advertisement, and then maybe some helicopters!

I do like the Ramada idea about the rally adventure deal. That sounds like fun for average joe daddy and his kids! I wonder how much it cost to get all that stuff planned, printed up and packaged????

I wanna go to tall pines just to watch! <sniff>

·
Registered
194 Posts
I really think that each stage should have 2 or 3 spectator areas...........its a good way to spread them out and give them some different options..... Stick them in exciting spots like -- jumps ect

Normally spectators are lost and have no clue whats going on...... I really think rally should be directed around the spectator .......YOu get alot of people to the races you get sponsors --- look at drifting

·
codriveur
1,385 Posts
>I wanna go to tall pines just to watch! <sniff>

Find Gary and I'm sure he'll give you an autograph.:+

I'll buy you a beer.

Bernie

·
Registered
532 Posts
>I really think that each stage should have 2 or 3 spectator
>areas...........its a good way to spread them out and give
>them some different options..... Stick them in exciting
>spots like -- jumps ect
>
>Normally spectators are lost and have no clue whats going
>on...... I really think rally should be directed around the
>spectator .......YOu get alot of people to the races you get
>sponsors --- look at drifting

There are several issues with your ideas:

1. There is no way to make every stage have 2 or 3 spectating areas.

2. Having more choice leads to spectators wanting to move between areas. Most of the time the only path to move is the stage road. Keep it simple with one area.

3. You would need too many marshals. Many rallys already struggle to get enough marshals.

You are right about spectators being lost. Have a GOOD spectator guide and plenty of signage.

Dave C

·
Registered
78 Posts
Easy, get spectators to sign a waiver. I would sign one any day of the week. I really miss having the ability to view rallys anywhere i want along the stage.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
>Easy, get spectators to sign a waiver. I would sign one any
>day of the week. I really miss having the ability to view
>rallys anywhere i want along the stage.

Don't think that a waiver automatically protects the organizer and the sanctioning body from liability. The days of wandering anywhere on a stage to watch are definitely over.

There are a lot of good ideas here, but many of you have never been on an organizing committee. Two or three spectator areas on ONE STAGE? This would mean designing the STAGE around the SPECTATOR AREAS...most rallies are limited on road use already...and would be a logistical nightmare. Organizers are controlled by the owners of the roads...which roads, when, how, and how long they can be used.

Charging for a spectator area can be a problem in some places. Remember, we get permission to use the ROADS - we can't usually control the adjoining land. Further, charging to get in can cause additional liability.

Join an organizing committee...they'll be glad to have you...put your ideas to use.

Bruce

·
Registered
51 Posts
You all have some Great points about Spectating. Developing a Spectator Packet and charging a small fee sounds Great.

One of the things that I tell my Spectator Captains when it comes to Recuriting Spectators to be Marshals is the benefits of being a Marshal: a bag of Goodies - a Rally T-shirt of the Event they are working. That is like Gold out here. As soon as they get it, they put the shirt on. We also include Regional Stickers, maps and a Spectator Guide. The Sponsors do a Great Job of giving us their Goodies to include into the Bag. I forgot to mention: That being a marshal lets you into places a normal person can't get too. You also get a Free Warm meal at the end of the event if your a worker. ( Small donation is required at the Local Grange Halls we use at times.) You get to drive on the stage prior and after to see how the stage looks. We provide free training, and if you enjoy it you can back again, and who knows you might become a Organizer, a Racer, get involved with the HAM's, be part of a Crew, lots of things.

It's not impossible to have 2 separate Designated Spectator Area's ( DSA's ) on one stage. Pick a location that has good access from a Paved Road, and use lots of Signs.

This year at Wild West Int'l Rally we had 2 separate DSA's on Saturday, and 3 DSA's on Sunday.

We have had 2 DSA's on our Nahwatzel Stage at least once a year. Its average length is 20 miles long. ( NWR )

My friends in Oregon have one large DSA on their Gooseberry Stage, that has several different view locations. Marked well with lots of signs to get the public to and from the pavement.

Acute turns are the Best , it gives the Spectators alot to look at, watching how the drivers set their cars up to take a tight turn.

Thats just my 2 cents worth

Dave Folker
Spectator Safety Coordinatoor
NorthWest Region.

·
Registered
12 Posts
And if they joined a committee to organize an event, they would also learn that in order to be a "Spectator area" under Operational Manuels and Safety Plans, "specialized workers" have to be in place at each location such as a Ham radio operator and medical personnel whom are assigned there just for the spectators not for any incident involving competitors on the stage roads.

Rally Angel

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
<<<There are a lot of good ideas here, but many of you have never been on an organizing committee. Two or three spectator areas on ONE STAGE? This would mean designing the STAGE around the SPECTATOR AREAS...most rallies are limited on road use already...and would be a logistical nightmare. Organizers are controlled by the owners of the roads...which roads, when, how, and how long they can be used. >>>

I did mention this on another thread.

Charging for a spectator area can be a problem in some places. Remember, we get permission to use the ROADS - we can't usually control the adjoining land. Further, charging to get in can cause additional liability.

I don't see how we/anyone else can charge admission for people who have as much right to access the land (USFS owned) as we do. As stated, we just have permission to use the roads, but the public also have the same right. We have to compromise.

Can't see me in your mirrors?
I must be in front of you!

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
<<< It's a shame that spectators have to play Navy Seal just to get to a worthwhile vantage point. Oh well, face paint wipes off easy enough. >>>

Sarcasm or a poor attempt at humour? We don't need this kind of behaviour.

Can't see me in your mirrors?
I must be in front of you!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts