Special Stage Forums banner

Which type of rally do you prefer. #1 example is STPR 2005. 127 miles of special stages, 4 services

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which type of rally do you prefer. #1 example is STPR 2005. 127 miles of special stages, 4 services (2 more fuel only), 10 stages, starts at 10 AM Saturday, finishes 11:45 PM Saturday, requires you to

Which type of rally do you prefer. #1 example is STPR 2005. 127 miles of special stages, 4 services (2 more fuel only), 10 stages, starts at 10 AM Saturday, finishes 11:45 PM Saturday, requires you to be there Friday morning for tech/registration. #2 example is International Rally New York 2005. 102 miles of special stages, 9 services, 25 stages (5 of which are 1/2 mile super specials), starts 12 noon Friday, finishes 7:45 PM Saturday, requires you to be there Thursday evening for tech/registration (Friday by appointment only).

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
RE: Which type of rally do you prefer. #1 example is STPR 2005. 127 miles of special stages, 4 services (2 more fuel only), 10 stages, starts at 10 AM Saturday, finishes 11:45 PM Saturday, requires yo

Thanks for asking, Don, but I'll decline to vote; the choice of "I like both equally" is not there....

Regards,
Mark B.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RE: Which type of rally do you prefer. #1 example is STPR 2005. 127 miles of special stages, 4 services (2 more fuel only), 10 stages, starts at 10 AM Saturday, finishes 11:45 PM Saturday, requires yo

But I didn't ask like, I asked prefer. Under the current state of things, I'll take both also. You've heard the expression, the best of 2 evils }(

·
Faster !!!!
768 Posts

... you forgot to add "breakfast awards at 3am with pancakes"
(after racing all day)
to make choice #1 more appealing ...

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I go for the rallying, not the food x( Many other things (other than the actual stages) are significantly less important to me so I guess that's why 3 AM pancakes were not included.

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts

How bout neither? I don't like low miliage nationals, and I don't like 1 day nationals. In other words, I prefer high miliage two day events.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!!
2,835 Posts

This is like one of those math word problems where lots of the information is irrelevant. What are you trying to figure out? Both rallies require you to register the day before. Both start at a reasonable morning hour (ie, not 4 am). One goes late into the night with lots of night stages, one does not. Is that what the question is really about? Or is it about number of services? Or short stages vs long stages?

Cheers,
Anders

·
Registered
1,838 Posts

Maybe it is about cramming it all into one day, with friday to do not really much of anything.

Instead of talking to people, and drinkin brew dogs after STPR, your tired, and then you go home.

My favorite schedule is probably Sno-Drift, Or Maine.

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts

Maine. The Maine schedule is perfect.

But of those two options, I prefer STPR, as I'll only have to miss one day of work and there is more stage mileage.

- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

·
"Go fast then bah bah bah"
222 Posts

So this isn't a RA versus NASA thing. Its a format question. I like Maine's format best of all BUT since you only gave us 2 choices I will take STPR (its more of an endurance event for the whole team - multiple services - run hard during the day and then during the night). The pancakes help as well.

Christian what do you mean work? Your a consultant (or is that were now?) Consultant's dont work they just charge billable hours for the powerpoint deck they created for a different client last year! :)

-Tim
Wazoo Racing

·
Dirt surfer
1,367 Posts

Agree with sentiments above, Maine Forest type rally is ideal (though with more stage miles than 2005 edition). Endurance is a major factor over 2 days.

STPR is a long push, with lots of the same same stage types with day or night being main difference. RNY has more variety over more time --gravel, tarmac, day, night-- which makes for a more interesting and challenging rally. You didn't mention the aspect of recce at RNY and/or Canadian events, which adds another quality dimension and teaches crews a whole new and useful skill set.

Glad there are many types of rally events from which to choose. Otherwise it'd be one-day Circus Rally for everyone, held on the infield at circle tracks as a distraction from the "real" roundy round racin. Crikey, I hope not.

Dave G
www.lastditchracing.net

"...Embrace loose gravel, beware big trees..."

·
Registered
1,998 Posts

Someone should set up a grid to record your "ideal" rally. Start with length: 50/100/150/don't care. Number of services: One per day/more than one/don't care. Event days: 1/2/3/more than 3/don't care. Party after event: Important/unimportant. Surface: Gravel/tarmac/mixture/don't care. What other factors are there that you care about?

Of course, the concensus would probably be a one day event with 150 stage miles, 50 transit miles, one service area, the Pirelli Girls, a free four-course dinner at the end, cash payout through 114th place...oh, and $100 entry fees. :)

"Your favorite event" doesn't work well either, because folks typically run only a small portion of the events available - and each event is a little different. Having been to WAY more events than I should have in the last couple of years, each one has several things to recommend it and several things I'd change...

Bruce

·
Registered
1,407 Posts

There is an awful lot more to a rally than just a schedule! I see 15 people have responded so far. Were there even 15 competitors who ran both rallies who are even qualified to make an educated opinion?

I don't like having to take a week off, but the variety of schedules and times of day that we run are as interesting as the variety of roads.

·
Registered
335 Posts

>How bout neither? I don't like low miliage nationals, and I
>don't like 1 day nationals. In other words, I prefer high
>miliage two day events.
>
>Dennis Martin
>[email protected]
>920-432-4845

Then you're going to love Ojibwe. 140 stage miles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts