Special Stage Forums banner

Which rally series do you plan on running next year?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
too early to tell, we do not know what RA has planed for 06. But if things remain the same I give NASA the upper hand, they seem to have landed some solid events, they gave some though to somewhat pairing the events together and TV coverage has been best in US so far (we are yet to see what RA has in store).

-gp

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'll go to who ever as the best TV deal. Rally needs fan and sponsors. Big TV will bring back factory. Having the most rally without a solid TV package doesn't make it the best series, it makes it the most expensive to run.
TV COVERAGE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAT NUMBER OF RALLY.
TV is the fastets way to sell our sport.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I think that to some extent we'll be picking events on the basis of the type of roads that are used. We like 2-lane roads with lots of corners (4's and 3's when using numeric stage notes). You know, the sorts of roads where Pat Richard would average 58 MPH. Relatively smooth is nice too.
Wow, when I look at it like that, I can see we'll be doing some fun stages next year! Yum.:D

Dave

www.hintzbrosrally.com

·
Registered
143 Posts
What is the USRC proposing for a TV package next year? 10 minutes at 7:30 doesn't really cut it. International coverage is minimally usefull for USA sponsors. That being said, their road combination is really exciting.

·
Dirt surfer
1,367 Posts
North American rally is just totally nuts right now. I currently hold 3 licenses and have run 6 events in 3 series in 2 countries this season. I've had to skip events near and dear to me because they didn't fit in with other far-flung series we've committed to. Something, somewhere has GOT to give. Three separate series fighting for the few teams and limited support out there is just NOT going to work long-term.

Turnout at RA events is sharply down from earlier versions of the same well-known well-established well-run rallies. A few years ago, Maine Forest drew 100+ cars, this year just 43 crews took the start and the organizers took a financial drubbing. NASA ESRC events are seeing erosion of turnout in Year Two. The once vibrant CARS series is in the doldrums with the loss of a series sponsors and TV package. This is not a sustainable business model, people.

What if North American rally teams played hardball and all waited to see which series put together the best support package for competitors and the best TV package for their sponsors? It's like other grown-up race series in circle track or sports cars--racers would support the series that supports them the best.

Dave G
www.lastditchracing.net

"...Embrace loose gravel, beware big trees..."

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
>
>Turnout at RA events is sharply down from earlier versions of
>the same well-known well-established well-run rallies. A few
>years ago, Maine Forest drew 100+ cars, this year just 43
>crews took the start and the organizers took a financial
>drubbing. NASA ESRC events are seeing erosion of turnout in
>Year Two. The once vibrant CARS series is in the doldrums with
>the loss of a series sponsors and TV package. This is not a
>sustainable business model, people.
>

Entry levels are down all over, and not just in rallying. Guys in oval track racing are singing the same song, higher costs, higher fees, much higher insurance costs, short fields, more stringent and expensive safety standards. There's more factors at work here than what can be blamed on NASA/RA/CARS. Can it be better and have more co-operation?, sure, can it be perfect?, no.

In 1996, when gas for the tow vehicle was $1.20, and the entry fee was less than $400, MFR had 34 entries..viewed from that perspective, 43 cars at $800 and $2.30 gas doesn't seem as bad.

760 Posts
>The two series thing is kinda bunked out.
>
>I have spoken with a few companies, that have an interest in
>rally but have chosen not to commit any support because they
>are turned off by the competing national series.

>Matt Johnston

This is the greatest misconception I have ever heard of.
How in the world is a potential sponsor turned off by competing
national series?

Where is it coming from that two national series are bad and one series is good?

Would anybody dare to say in his right mind that the vast array
of road racing and oval racing series turns off potential sponsors?
That would be nonsense, right? In fact, the opposite is true:
The proliferation of various series is the confirmation of the fact that motor racing is live and well. It is no different in rallying.

Besides, a little competition has always fostered progress whereas
monopoly caused stagnation and decay. That si exactly what we had under the previous regime.

Ivan Orisek
International Rally New York
Rally New York USA
Rally New York Rallysprints
Rally New York Rallycross Series

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
>
>Where is it coming from that two national series are bad and
>one series is good?
>
>Ivan Orisek
>International Rally New York
>Rally New York USA
>Rally New York Rallysprints
>Rally New York Rallycross Series

IMHO, there's simply not enough entrants for 2 competing bodies. So half the small number of entrants go one place and half the other and neither has a solid base to work with. Don't know what it will take for some people to realize that ;( Competiton is good when things are going relatively well. But they're not now. Dave said it earlier in the post. Next year I most likely won't run any NASA events because I'm not going to add another sanctioning bodies licensing fees to my expenses. The big bucks guys don't have an issue with this, another couple hunderd is meaningless to them.

·
slow is slow....
792 Posts
I never really understood the multiple license argument....what is it...an extra $190 per year for a Nasa license!!!? If someone can't afford an extra $190.....they should probably find a cheaper sport to participate in....or skip those events...no one is making anyone compete in mutliple championships!!

I?m not being an elitist and god knows I don?t make very much money, but that?s the price of one brand new 15? gravel tire??ONE!!

I?m skipping Gorman this year because I?m tapped out?.I?m saving up for Ramada because I feel it has a better bang for the buck?even though it?s going to cost twice as much! My decision has nothing to do with which sanctioning body it is?..but rather the off chance of some air time on Speed Channel.

Andrew

·
Registered
276 Posts
The 2 series is the biggest mistake ever. And don't give me that excuse competiton is good, competition is good only if you have a big pool of customer. If you have just enough customer for one serie how can it be good to bring an other serie and divide those few customer. Instead of having one good series, we have to below average series. Good move.
Look around, do you see 2 nascar series, 2 F1 series, 2 WRC series, 2 NHRA series, no but we have 2 open wheel series (IRL and CART) and look how bad they are doing.
what kind of championship do we have this year. RA has maybe 7 guys who have enought money to do the all championship. Out of those 7, 5 are GPn and 2 are Open. The only reson you have 5 guys in Gpn is because Subaru give money, take the money away and you'll found 2 or 3 Gpn enter at each event.
USRC has 3 driver that I know who can do the all championship. What kind of value those championship have?
We should have one national series and you can have as many as you want club series.
I hate to admit it but there where more car running under SCCA than now. SCCA was doing a better job to promote our sport. Rally is dying really fast. If the owner of either series don't secure some big sponsors and TV deal, they won't be any rally in 2 years in the US.
Ok now that I pissed off half of the rally community, go head, show me what you got.}(

·
Faster !!!!
768 Posts
Continuing to beat the dead horse that everyone knows about ....
(I try not to editorialize too much ...
figured I ought to throw in my $0.02)

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this stuff out
- it's simple math

Gotta agree with this one:

>IMHO, there's simply not enough entrants for 2 competing bodies.
(to thrive and have 60+ entrants = more than break even ? )
>So half the small number of entrants go one place and half the
>other and neither has a solid base to work with.

It made me sad to see all the empty Hotels around
Rumford which were always FULL in past years ...

And this one too (kinda the same):

>The 2 series is the biggest mistake ever. And don't give me
>that excuse competiton is good, competition is good only if
>you have a big pool of customers.

And this one too:

>We should have one national series and you can have as many as
>you want club series.

And this one too (somewhat):

>I hate to admit it but there were more cars running under SCCA
>than now.
.... more cars at each SCCA event, with them split between
sanctioning bodies, I'd bet that there might be more
competitors this year than last year !

Seems like a doom and gloom outlook:

>If the owner of either series
>don't secure some big sponsors and TV deal, they won't be any
>rally in 2 years in the US.

Rally, like everything will naturally go through cycles,
and this is one of them.

... ridin the tides of Samsara ...

·
Registered
194 Posts
The problem is not enough competitors and sponsors. Name 1 major sponsor in either racing bodies "not manufacture or priviateer backed" Neither series promotes the races or give any demographics. If teams cant get sponsors for either series... there needs to be a decent purse per event.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts