Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did I miss something? What's with the sudden concern for newbies. Are newbs really that out of control? It seems to me that the worst wrecks come from the more experienced. Newbs tend to just bang up the fenders. I've never met a newb who thought he/she was the ultimate hot shot and went flat out into a tree. I know in my first rally I kept it easy trying not to damage my new to me rally car. I barely got enough money for the entry fee. I didn't need tree encounters to add to my cost. My foot was as light as a feather.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
>Did I miss something? What's with the sudden concern for
>newbies.

It is a knee-jerk reaction to a co-driver's death at Sawmill (in PA) four years ago.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
> I've never met a
>newb who thought he/she was the ultimate hot shot and went
>flat out into a tree.

Neither have I, the life flight helicopter always leaves before I get there.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Anything to do with the medivac helicopter taking off from the highway at Ojibwe this year?

·
CR>R5 into L3- 100 Finish
626 Posts
>> I've never met a
>>newb who thought he/she was the ultimate hot shot and went
>>flat out into a tree.
>

Except if you sit next to one like I have.

Whiplash RallyeSport

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
There have been concerns over new driver inexperience for many years. It really picked up a lot of concern, as Jens said, with a co-driver death at Sawmill, and has picked up even more recently with the overall issue of liability.

However, I can't at all agree with Jens. I can't see this as a knee-jerk reaction at all. I won't ever forget the 'don't tell me how to drive attitude' of the 20 year old driver who survived the crash that killed his co-driver. And I won't forget the description given to me that evening by the mother who witnessed the crash with her 10 year old son, describing how the car flew off the curve almost horizontally, it was going so fast.

The whole experience convinced me that there a few of the arrogant, out-of-control types out there who will kill themselves or others if not weeded out some way or another.

Mark B.

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
RE: Where'd the concern come from?

From the SCCA finally realizing that having no organized training and oversight of drivers in the most demanding venue they oversaw was contemptable.
Perhaps so much so, that their years of neglect may have put the whole club at risk.
So Josh, if you were to start an FAA-style pilot training program from scratch tomorrow, who would YOU start with?
rz

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
>However, I can't at all agree with Jens. I can't see this as
>a knee-jerk reaction at all.

"knee-jerk" was probably a bad choice of words. "Panic" is more appropriate.

Several times I have seen panic:
1. After the first Sawmill death. I was at the meetings after the event. I saw the panic.

2. After the two spectators were killed. SCCA panicked, cancelled ClubRally, and finally after being warned for years decided that spectators needed to be controlled.

3. Now after SCCA dumped ya'll I read lots of panic (mostly related to insurance costs).

Without referring to the specific **PRO** rallies (so I don't have people jumping all over me).....

I have seen disregard for spectator safety the borders on negligence.

I have seen drunks servicing their cars the nights before events.

I was instructed to put spectators in a very dangerous location. I quit on the spot.

There is more but I won't go on, because no one believes me... or if they do, they don't care.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts