Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant believe the Black River Stages rally hasnt filled up. Where is everyone?

If you are thinking about it but havent sent in the form, get off you butt and do it now! The organizers are within a few days of canceling it if they dont see some more entries.

See http://www.specialstage.com/forum/cgi-bin/DCForumID21/281.html entry ID 10.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm only guessing but based on the number of entries at Rally New York it may be that a good number of people have given up on the NEDIV and moved over to NASA. I hope I'm wrong because I was looking forward to racing again.

Gary

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
>I'm only guessing but based on the number of entries at
>Rally New York it may be that a good number of people have
>given up on the NEDIV and moved over to NASA. I hope I'm
>wrong because I was looking forward to racing again.
>
>Gary
They can run both! The next NASA rally isn't for another 2 months! Wouldn't seem to be the only reason!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Of course they can run both but with limited funds they may have choosen to go with the one that seems to have a better championship calendar. Maine Forest had a good turnout but mostly because of the dual sanctioning. I wonder what it would have looked like without the NASA competitiors?

Maybe there is something else but damned if I know what it is. Thoughts?

Gary

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
>Maybe there is something else but damned if I know what it
>is. Thoughts?

No 2003 NEDiv trophies were awarded.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Please get off your kick about trophies. Yes, it is a fact. If that's all you people want, give me your address and I'll buy and send you a trophy :p

BTW, I appologize to the rest of you. I don't normally react this way.
BTW2, where is my trophy from Rally TN that I was told was available but was never sent to me since I didn't stay all night for the awards ceremony? I was told it would be sent to me. I really don't necessairly care but I'm just bringing it up to show that that it happens in NASA also just like SCCA. Period. The end.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Maybe a group of people are upset at not being notified about an appeal being reversed....thereby taking away there first overall victory?

So they've decided to stay home or at the very least, stay away from the SCCA?

Just a guess, though.

Brian

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
So screw the organizers of a local club rally for something that happened on a national event. Sorry, this one's just striking a nerve.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
>Maybe a group of people are upset at not being notified
>about an appeal being reversed....thereby taking away there
>first overall victory?
>
>So they've decided to stay home or at the very least, stay
>away from the SCCA?
>
>Just a guess, though.
>
>Brian

Maybe a group of people submitted a protest they had no basis to win, but tried anyway(just as I would have, in the same situation). That is not the subject of this thread. I'd suggest that if a driver is not paid to win a specific championship, and if said driver cannot beat the Choinieres, Shepherds, Burkes, Styles, etc. head to head, then said driver should consider seat time above sanction, trophy, or any other consideration. You can run them all for the price of a single ProRally. Do so, and watch your results improve.

This is an event put on by a good group of experienced people. They have seen the need for more events in the Northeast and done something about it. If you don't support them, NEDIV rally will die, and they will go back to having lives. The choice is yours.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I refer to this phenomenon as the rally recession. It has happened before. It's too dang expensive and consuming of time and energy. Costs get driven up, competitors get driven out or choose to do something else.

Look at the entries shrink and shrink and shrink.

Group F could help this. We need to control costs and foster competitive driving.

·
Retired Rally Photographer
2,069 Posts
>Maybe a group of people are upset at not being notified
>about an appeal being reversed....thereby taking away there
>first overall victory?
>
>So they've decided to stay home or at the very least, stay
>away from the SCCA?
>
>Just a guess, though.
>
>Brian

Not true. I heard of some of that "group" not showing up to BRS before the Maine rally was even completed.

Pete

·
Retired Rally Photographer
2,069 Posts
>Any idea why?
>
>Gary

Yep. I've passed the info off to the BRS organizers letting them know the reason I heard first hand. I didn't mention any names. I'll let them (BRS organizers) discuss it if they wish.....I won't bring it up.

Like I've said, I'd love to see the event happen. Too bad the outlook is bleak though.

Pete

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Could it be that a lot of competitors are miffed because some organizers don't use notes? If that's the case, I think they're in for a shock. They complain about costs going up, but when they get the opportunity to run a cheaper event, they back off. This is no way to support the sport. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.

Can't see me in your mirrors?
I must be in front of you!

·
Dirt surfer
1,367 Posts
Would like to come, but 2 cars are busted...

Hey all,

OF COURSE we'd like to run BRS with a Last Ditch car.

However, both of our Subarus are down with mechanical woes after a long hard season. (As is the budgetary allowance for extra events.) Two weeks from now, it's highly unlikely either situation will have changed. We cannibalized one car to get the other going for Defi Ste Agathe last weekend.

Tulip 1: blown engine, sick rear diff
Tulip 2: blown gearbox, fried ECU

So there 's why LDR isn't going to BRS.

However, the larger question is "why is BRS entry so soft?"--and for that matter, why are entries down for other NE club events so far??? I'd cite numerous reasons--please note that this is from the perspective of an active NE team running two cars in several programs--5 CDN nationals, 2-4 US pro/club, 8-10 rallyx)):

--The club rally situation in the Northeast was so iffy early this year that numerous Northeast-based teams basically planned only on running Canadian and/or NASA events, cause we knew they'd happen. NE based US teams are now comprising about 20% of the field at eastern Canadian events this year...a percentage that's up sharply from 2002 and 2003. Commitment is a 2-way street...

--NE teams have been let down by canceled club rallies enough times that many are skeptical about continuing in the program. Case in point: I planned to run Maine Forest Winter last year--alas, no event. Wanted to run Great North Woods this year, but alas, no event. I'd love to run Maine Forest Winter, but who knows if it's really-really happening??!!

--The SCCA NEDiv RallyX program is very very active, 10 or a dozen events a year with 40-50 car fields. This is developing lots of potential talent (for drivers anyway, NOT co-drivers), but there's inadequate follow-up at the Club Rally level to support the transition from RallyX to Club.

--Accordingly, there are simply too few true entry-level teams in the NE US, unlike Canada where there are 25 regional 2WD cars filling events to capacity and developing a whole new generation of talent. NE club rallies are charging top dollar (you can enter 2 or 3 CDN regionals for the price of 1 US Club), and drawing maybe 35 Evos and STis. If you are running an older Open or G2 car, there's not a lot of appeal there. I'd place myself in this latter category, looking to run my first club event in our team's old battle-scarred 2.5 RS. NASA offers a normally aspirated open class that's a lot more attractive.

--BRS came on stream late enough in the season so I bet lots of other teams just decided they couldn't add it to their program late in the year--as we have done.

--BRS PR was very low-profile, which has obviously hurt turnout.

--Finally, the fans lining Canadian stage roads are a lot more numerous and way more informed about who they've come to watch. Plus, they make a lot more noise to incite "enthusiastic" driving by the teams hurtling past. Fan support is a major payoff for the horrific expense of privateer rallying--something US organizers would do well to improve down here. Each Canadian event publishes a detailed spectator guide with stories about the teams and lists of everyone else who's pre-entered. This makes the fans a whole lot more involved.

There's probably more, but that's all I can recall at the moment.

Apologies in advance if this has degenerated into a rant, but hey, you asked....

Dave G
Last Ditch Racing

"...Embrace loose gravel, beware big trees..."

·
Registered
234 Posts
Is this a one time problem or is it going to be the trend for a while (or is it specific to this event). I'd like to plan the future and it would be nice to know if SCCA events are going to be part of it. Canada is looking better all the time. How do you say go in French?

Gary

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
RE: Various reasons for low entry at NEDIV events...

Interesting thoughts. But I don't necessairly agree with all of them. Cost wise, the entry fee is pretty low. And for a team from PA or VA for example, the difference in towing and motel costs pretty much even things out (not even mentioning vacation time). But we've hashed this out before and you "northerners" seem to forget those differences :(

·
Registered
110 Posts
> Could it be that a lot of competitors are miffed because
>some organizers don't use notes? If that's the case, I think
>they're in for a shock. They complain about costs going up,
>but when they get the opportunity to run a cheaper event,
>they back off. This is no way to support the sport. If I'm
>wrong, feel free to correct me.
>
>

I'm not going to correct you, I'm going to applaud you. Rallying in the united states is rooted in Blind Rallies. It's only been in the past few years that we here in the USA have begun using notes. The club rally series is meant to be cheap and easy. Club rally is the next step into rally from rally cross and rally sprint. This is where you begin to learn how to drive the car. People don't need things like notes distracting them from doing their first responsibility in a rally, and that is to drive.

This will be a real shame if the rally doesn't go on. This is one of the best club rallies I've ever had the pleasure of running and working.

Keith

1 - 20 of 51 Posts