Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who can suggest at least 25 miles and the more the better of tight twisty tarmac in the US?

I would love to see a tarmac event in the US, and would help to see it come alive...

suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
542 Posts
I know of a nice stretch in Montana bit who would orginize it up there?

State Highway 89 from Kiowa to St Mary, is a beautiful twisty road with great scenery and in the off season (non tourist) not very busy.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"state hwy" sounds ;ike it might be too fast...

Need a road that will allows rally cars to average under 60 mph or so, think about the roads the WRC runs on, lane and a half, lots of hairpins...

The road you suggest could be perfect, just want to double check the details

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, I already organize one spectator/resident intensive event. Its a whole new ballgame to go after a city location, and in the US it would need to look like multiple street circuits. (Think of Monaco, Long Beach, only 25+ miles of armco.)

I am not saying it could not be done.

So what city in the US would be a likely candidate to allow numerous streets to be closed?

What city has so many narrow, twisty roads that it would offer a possibility?

I have a great imagination, I looking for realistic, specific opportunities.

·
Registered
202 Posts
In the Alsea district of the Siuslaw National Forest, here in Oregon, there is a large network of logging roads between highway 34 and 126. A few of them are paved, including two through routes from 34 to 126. When I say they are logging roads that are paved, I mean it. They remind me of roads I've seen in Ireland. I had to crawl my Rabbit over slash piles on top of chips protecting the pavement in active logging operations (I was last out there on Thanksgiving) -- 'bout a car-and-a-half wide, very tight and twisty.

There's at least 50 miles and probably more of these tiny little roads. The road density in the area is such that for a gravel rally, you could use the pavement for transits/spectator-worker access, and for a pavement rally, the reverse.

Haven't been brave enough to walk into the Siuslaw Forest main office, sad since I live about a quarter mile from it.

The Oregon Rally Group is establishing a relationship with the Mt. Hood NF, so national forest isn't impossible to get into. Given the road repair and fire-season stress the group deals with normally, a tarmac rally in the cool months should be an easy addition, organization-wise. It's mostly a nut check for walking into the forester office. They shrivel up so small. Like raisins.

If I lived closer to Goldendale WA, I'd be talking to them already. Goldendale is desperate for an event, we just need someone to organize it. There might be some hillclimb-like tarmac in that area.

andy
--
Viva la ProleRalliat!

·
Registered
542 Posts
State highway in name only. Last time I travelled the road, it took me roughly 55 minutes to travel the approx 22 miles. I move along and don't waste any time. Running a rally on the road might be a challenge as there is just 1 road and it would have to be back and forth but it is such a great road.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Highway 89 going up to Prescott would undoubtedly rival San Remo and Tour de Corse, twisty, uphill, with wide flat sections here and there but it would be very unrealistic to think that the permissions could be secured for that road.

Cheers

M.Samli

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
121 east out of Sonoma, or 50 west of Pueblo, Co., or 24 nw of Colo. Springs. Actually there is a whole set of roads in the ghost town area of colorado, paved and unpaved, including "oh my god road". Where does/did the cog run?

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Again, way too fast. I've personally done the 100KMS between Pemberton and Liloowet in under an hour on several occasions. . . .ask John Rapson about the gravel spray on the RCMP cruiser incident. . . . . . .;) :)

Martin

·
Registered
352 Posts
Up off Highway 2 in Washington is a stretch almost begging for a tarmac/gravel rally. Parts of the Old cascade highway (still paved and maintained by the state) that are super-squiggly forest roads and then there's Beckler road, which teams could take at 100mph plus. Only problem is that both are next to rivers that would probably get conservationists in a crinkle.

The rest of the rally could be made up of the hundreds of forest roads in the area. At the end of beckler there are about 20 roads that branch off...even a large area that would work for service of about 30 cars :)

Ryan Douthit
Driving Sports Magazine
http://www.drivingsports.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Land between the Lakes ,north and west of Nashville on the Tennessee and Kentucky border. It belongs to the U.S. Forest Service and I-24 runs close by. It has both tarmac and gravel roads. A main road called the Trace goes up the middle and would give great access for spectators. Food and lodging can be found the towns of Dover,Tn and Cadiz,Ky.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Mike et al, Rallybrat is correct. I, along with Ole Holter are putting together 2 rallysprints here in So.Cal this year. Total mileage will be in the region of 30-35 miles using pristine, tight and twisty tarmac. Paperwork is nearly complete for submission for the road closure permit. Should we get the support for these events, we will be seriopusly considering looking at a 2 day tarmac event in 2005. I'm hoping for a video of the roads to be available through this means in the near future, for those that are unfamiliar with them, if I can get someone to host it. Will keep you all posted.

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
Shhhhh

Those are our to and from Ice Races roads. There are plenty of roads, I can think of about 25 miles around the colorado springs area alone that would be great for it. US 50 west of pueblo is too wide IMO, US 24 is good, especially between the west springs and woodland park. The highway that connects us 24 to co 67 has about 15 good miles on it too. Hell some parts of 67 are excellent dirt roads, many a colorado rally fan has done something stupid on that road..... The state highway that goes into the back side of breckenridge is a great tarmac road too. Plenty of miles of good tarmac in CO, just need someone to help plan and map it out, feel like making a return road trip ACP? I got plenty of possibilities all over the state. Some really fun dirt roads too.....

·
Lost....We're not lost
419 Posts
>In the Alsea district of the Siuslaw National Forest, here
>in Oregon, there is a large network of logging roads between
>highway 34 and 126. A few of them are paved, including two
>through routes from 34 to 126.

How about joining the Alsea roads with the Grand Ronde/Bible Creek area just to the north?
The Willamette Motor Club hosts the Bible Creek Hill Climb every August(http://www.wmclub.org/hillclimb.html).
The Road Not Taken TSD uses the roads in this area as well during the same weekend as the hill climb. There is already an established relationship with the Forest Service and the BLM....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts