Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I purchase the 2003 WRC DVD? A friend of mine purchased it from a UK website, but it does not work on a US DVD player. Are there US friendly versions or how do you adapt your DVD player?

Thank you
Jen

·
Registered
935 Posts
What is the issue? If it complains that the DVD is for the wrong region, then you should be able to just change that setting on your player (BUT!! You may have a limited number of such changes, depends on your machine). If the issue is NTSC/PAL formatting on the output, you're stuck unless your machine can switch modes. My DVD player will do both NTSC and pal, and cost $49.99 CANADIAN at best buy...i shudder to think how little that would be in american bucks

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
The issues are most likely both format (NTSC vs. PAL) and region. Duke Video says that it is in PAL format and is a Region 2 disc.

Most of the rally video stuff is from Duke Video. Check out www.duke-usa.com to see what they have in US format (NTSC/Region 1) or www.dukevideo.com for what we don't get here. I haven't seen the WRC year-in-review stuff in US format.

$49.99 CAD for a NTSC/PAL DVD player? Is it Region-free as well? That's pretty cool.

Another option might be watching it on a computer. Do PC DVD player apps work with PAL, Region 2 discs?

alan

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
I took my PAL dvd into my local Radio Shack, and told the guy that I would buy the first player that worked. We started at the bottom of the price range, and the first one worked. It has worked fine ever since.

When you order from Duke UK, they will ask if you are sure that you want PAL (good customer relations there).

press on,

·
Registered
240 Posts
WRC 2003 is in litigation. Duke is trying to get it available for the US, WRC isn't allowing it.

Rallysport is trying to get them as soon as they are available.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I seem to recall it being region 0 (free) but PAL.

Let me double check my copy.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks is a place where you can find some simple changes to make SOME DVD players region free. Not every player can handle a PAL disc, some need more memory (more lines I guess).

I just bought a $39 DVD player at Fry's (Terrapin brand) which handles PAL and took about 30 secs to make region free.

Glenn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts