Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I started thinking of a good topic of discussion the other day after reading Karl Scheible's post on what he's doing now. What's happened to some of the top SCCA ProRally drivers from the past fifteen years....?

Here's a few and their backgrounds to refresh memories:

Noel Lawler: 2000 Champion in the works Hyundai, also raced a Group A Mitsu Galant and a PGT Mazda 323 at the start of the nineties.

David Summerbell: 1998 Champion in an independant Evo 4 from Jamaica.

Cal Landau: One of the top dogs in PGT in his Eclipse with a championship to his name and a prominant top 5 finisher throughout the mid-nineties. Navigated for Lesley Suddard at Maine a few years back.

Sam Bryan: Past SAAB works driver in the mid-nineties, lost the deal and has been gone since

Chad DiMarco: Former Subaru works driver in a Group A Legacy. Sube pulled the plug and he never returned except as a coach for Leon Styles. (I saw him walking around at Rim's parc expose last year. Is he coming back ever, Leon?)

Peter Moodie: Another Jamaican who was very fast in his Group A Mazda 323. Left the sport around 1994 or so. He was one of the top Robert Bosch Super Vee drivers in the late seventies as well.

Goran Ostland: Came up from El Salvador and whooped everybody for the Group 2 championship in his SAAB 99 back in 1994. Gone since then.

Dean and Jeff Panton: Brothers from Jamaica. Dean had a fast Hyundai Elantra that he raced here back in 1998-9. Jeff had an ex-Sainz FIA works Toyota that he took to second place with at Ojibwe '95.

Selcuk Karamanoglu: Really fast Turkish PGT driver from 1994-6 with a championship in that class in 1996. Went to Open the next year and quit mid-season.

Pat Ayer: Drove an Open class Audi Quattro at east coast events and was usually a top contender in the mid-nineties.

Vinnie Frontinan: Raced a Group A Toyota Celica All-Trac in both Group A and in PGT in the mid-nineties, switched to a VW Corrado and then an Evo finally in 2000 that got wrecked at STPR that year. No word since.

Liz Campbell: A regular front runner in the late eighties/early nineties in a GTI. Won at least one Production championship that I know of before changing her last name from Elliot to Campbell. Last ran at Maine 2000.

Bruce Newey: New Zealander who ran the first ever Group 2 car in 1993 even before the class was even SCCA official. (It was an RX-7!!!) Went on to race several seasons in some fast Group A/PGT/Group 5 Toyota Celicas throughout the nineties. Last saw him crewing for Seamus Burke at STPR in 1999.

Richard Losee: Won the Group 2 championship in a GTI in 1997 then fell off the face of the earth. Haven't seen his name on an entry list since.

Jay Kowalik: Production driver in a Honda Civic in the late-nineties. Never won a championship, but was FAST!!!! He got married and then.....?

Nick Robinson: Vyed for the Group 2 championship in 2000 and had to borrow his girlfriend's Honda Civic at LSPR as his was destroyed at Prescott three weeks earlier. He didn't win it. Hasn't run since.

Gary Gooch: A regular in his Toyota Pickup in the ill-fated Truck Class in the early-nineties. His wife navigated.

Bill Holmes: Those who saw his front-running monster Ford F-150 truck remember it well. He ran it from 1988-9, quit after being upset by rules apparently, and surprisingly brought it to a Club event out West in the mid-nineties after years of storage.

Please click and paste your selection (rather than make a mess of space on this topic) if you know anything about what these folks are doing now. Will they return??? This should make for some interesting discussion.

Jerry Winker

·
Retired Rally Photographer
2,069 Posts
>Vinnie Frontinan: Raced a Group A Toyota Celica All-Trac in
>both Group A and in PGT in the mid-nineties, switched to a
>VW Corrado and then an Evo finally in 2000 that got wrecked
>at STPR that year. No word since.

Last I knew, Vinnie had a shop in Cambridge, MA. Morgan would know the exact details if it's still there.

>Liz Campbell: A regular front runner in the late
>eighties/early nineties in a GTI. Won at least one
>Production championship that I know of before changing her
>last name from Elliot to Campbell. Last ran at Maine 2000.

Last saw Liz as stage captain for the 2002 Maine Winter Rally.

Pete

·
Registered
366 Posts
>Sam Bryan: Past SAAB works driver in the mid-nineties, lost
>the deal and has been gone since

Sam did not loose the deal-he took a job in GB, as a result SAAB USA declined to proceed with thier rally effort! Too bad!!

>Goran Ostland: Came up from El Salvador and whooped
>everybody for the Group 2 championship in his SAAB 99 back
>in 1994. Gone since then.

Living in Stockholm with wife, Salme, and son, Erik. Had dinner with him in early July.

>Bruce Newey: New Zealander who ran the first ever Group 2
>car in 1993 even before the class was even SCCA official.
>(It was an RX-7!!!) Went on to race several seasons in some
>fast Group A/PGT/Group 5 Toyota Celicas throughout the
>nineties. Last saw him crewing for Seamus Burke at STPR in
>1999.

Actually Goran was at Ojibwe 1993-same time as Bruce, Goran in the same SAAB that won G2 championship the next season-he of course testing for the next season-so there was more then one G2 car there, making Bruce one of the first to run a G2 spec car before G2 was officially adopted!

>Bill Holmes: Those who saw his front-running monster Ford
>F-150 truck remember it well. He ran it from 1988-9, quit
>after being upset by rules apparently, and surprisingly
>brought it to a Club event out West in the mid-nineties
>after years of storage.

Last time I talked to Bill he was still in the L.A. area and still running his pool cleaning business-although it has been several years since I talked with him. He usally appears at Rim spectating...

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
RE:

Vinnie Frontinan: Raced a Group A Toyota Celica All-Trac in both Group A and in PGT in the mid-nineties, switched to a VW Corrado and then an Evo finally in 2000 that got wrecked at STPR that year. No word since.

Vinnie does indeed have a shop in Cambridge where every Portugese resident of Cambrige gets their car repaired. The year before last he competed in the Irish Tarmac Championship in a rented group N3(?) Honda Civic and won the championship in his class. He has sold the rally cars (but not the service van) and bought a house (likely due to pressure from the wife). all is not lost as he bought an Evo 8 street car. I see him regularly as his shop is the local hangout. About once a week I get the "I buy you fly" phone call from him, which sends me accross town in search of the Japanese food I got him hooked on. He lives rally vicariously through me (though he did come to Mexico with me and made a brief appearance at Maine) and can be heard mumbling about how he should have kept the rally cars and screw the F'n house!

the funny thing is I met Vinnie in Nevada at the Ramada Express... "holy crap! you live down the street from me?!"

Not mentioned but noteworthy is Frank Cunningham who has been running the Irish Historic Championship for the past few years in a Mini Cooper S where he has dominated

Also not mentioned is Garen Shrader, who I talk to every 4-6 months ( It has been about 6 months since I last talked to him so don't have current info) who has been plugging away at his fine art house painting and antques business and still has aspirations of comming back as soon as he can find that elusive sponsor

·
Registered
60 Posts
RE:

>Bruce Newey: New Zealander who ran the first ever Group 2
>car in 1993 even before the class was even SCCA official.
>(It was an RX-7!!!) Went on to race several seasons in some
>fast Group A/PGT/Group 5 Toyota Celicas throughout the
>nineties. Last saw him crewing for Seamus Burke at STPR in
>1999.

I am sure my dad can add more but Bruce is doing fine and drove 0 at CT and rally of Tenn. both done in our galants. While at the time he does not have a rally car maybe he will come back one day. Maybe after paying he gets done paying Auburn U. On a side note about Auburn 3 rally kids go their Bruce's daughter, Seamus daughter and myself (Chuck McCrary?s son)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Last saw Garen at Maine 2002 spectating. I talked to him a bit then...He had sold his EVO 4 and his EVO 5 project some Irish guys. Hopefully we'll see him around soon.

A few to add:

Arthur Odero-Jowi: Kenyan driver living in Texas...ran a PGT/Open Eclipse GSX in the National series around 98-99. I heard he stopped because of school? Richard Miller sometimes gives me updates on him...Actually, I found his website the other day and it was keeping close track of the 2004 season, although nothing else was updated. http://www.tpirallying.com

Al Kaumeheiwa: He seems to have popped up an event or two in the past two years, but he ran a lot back in 96-97 in Production. I see he co-drove for Henry Krolikowski at Sno*Drift last year, and ran an SRT4 at Oregon Trail in '02 (first event for that car?) Just curious what he's doing now...

Jens Larsen: }>

Thanks,
Alex

·
Registered
479 Posts
Another notable star from the past was Henry Joy. He had an awesome RHD group A EVO III. I always wondered whatever happened to him and who ended up with his car? That was a cool era with Merril, Sprongl, Choinere, Joy, Lawler.............

Aaron

·
Registered
240 Posts
Where Are They Now?

>Chad DiMarco:
http://www.subesports.com/

>Selcuk Karamanoglu:
He lives in Maine near my mom. Last they heard he was sailing around the world on his own sailboat.

>Vinnie Frontinan:
Was at MFR04 and said he may be at Defi 04 in September.

>Liz Campbell:
Last seen at MFR 03 in Oquasic chasing people around with a
whip and a pair of handcufs!

>Jerry Winker:
National TV in 02

B~

·
Registered
239 Posts
Cal Landau co drove for Josh Scott at Maine in 2001, I think that was his only foray in the right seat.

He is still in Pittsburgh, with a very successful photog business-
http://www.callandau.com/

...and lately has been getting his speed fix on Motorcycles at BeaveRun Motorsports Complex.

By the way, he is looking for Niall Donnely's (sp?) contact info....

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RE: Henry's Evo II

>Another notable star from the past was Henry Joy. He had an
>awesome RHD group A EVO III. I always wondered whatever
>happened to him and who ended up with his car?

Actually it was an Evo 2. It's car #768 now with the same paint sceme driven by Celsus Donnelly. It ran at STPR and Maine last year. I last saw Henry at Sno*Drift '02 and he was talking about his film commitments and the good old days at the banquet. Anybody know if he plans on a return ever? Mr. Bodnar? Anybody?

>That was a
>cool era with Merrill, Sprongl, Choinere, Joy, Lawler.............
>
>Aaron

Ah yes...1997 & 1998.... two fine years indeed!

Jerry

·
Flat over crest
303 Posts
>Cal Landau co drove for Josh Scott at Maine in 2001, I
>think that was his only foray in the right seat.
>
>He is still in Pittsburgh, with a very successful photog
>business-
>http://www.callandau.com/
>
>...and lately has been getting his speed fix on Motorcycles
>at BeaveRun Motorsports Complex.
>
>By the way, he is looking for Niall Donnely's (sp?) contact
>info....

Cal is also working with the staff at BeaveRun to develop their rally training program. I had a chance to sit in the same car and chat with Cal back in May. His photography business is keeping him very busy and he seems to be very happy with it. He indicated that the costs of rallying these days are one of the big reasons he's not competing.

Scott
www.teamharco.com
Team Harco Motorsports
"Win on Sunday, Sleep on Monday"

·
Vote Libertarian next time!
447 Posts
>Bill Holmes: Those who saw his front-running monster Ford
>F-150 truck remember it well. He ran it from 1988-9, quit
>after being upset by rules apparently, and surprisingly
>brought it to a Club event out West in the mid-nineties
>after years of storage.

I actually talked to Bill almost two years ago. After he won the manufacturers title for Ford in the late 80's he traveled back to Michigan with the manufacturers trophy. Walked into headquarters in Dearborn, someone came down from the offices basically grabbed the hardware, said "thanks." and left him standing there. He had been getting some help from the SVO side of Ford, but as we all know the head office doesn't think much of us.

With no help from Ford, and no-one bit on taking him under there wing when he drove the heck out of a Toyota Celica AWD, beating people who have run that type of car in the ill-fated All Star event at the then still POR in Michigan, he decided to go back to off road racing. Since then I have lost track of him sans a brief meeting at Rim.

John Elkin
Vancouver, WA
"Don't go where the road don't go."-Ringo Starr

·
Registered
239 Posts
RE:

>>Cal Landau co drove for Josh Scott at Maine in 2001, I
>>think that was his only foray in the right seat.
>
>That wasn't his only foray - check the MFR 2000 results...
>
>Adrian

Well, I did hedge it with an "I think"!!!!

:p

·
Registered
542 Posts
RE: Henry Joy

>>Another notable star from the past was Henry Joy.

Henry is still out and about and getting his life outside of rally all together. Besides perpetually organizing Sno*Drift, he participated in the 2004 Alcan Winter Rally on Satch Carlson's BMW X3 rally team. www.alcan5000.com or www.challengedriving.com

He and Satch managed to squeeze into 2nd place overall with their fancy rally computer and expensive German SUV just ahead of a lowly Subaru Forester with no rally computer and a couple of knuckle heads onboard...

He still snaps some great photos (if you ever get a chance to see them).

1 - 20 of 64 Posts