Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Need ride. Please send money.
1,278 Posts
Me too Jake, me too...

But Jake, wouldnt it be cool if a GF took overall & spanked us PGt punks?...

}(

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
>Me too Jake, me too...
>
>But Jake, wouldnt it be cool if a GF took overall & spanked us
>PGt punks?...
>

Dave and Justin will be there and running hard. Don't forget about Ottey and Kendal, however.

·
Registered
472 Posts
good luck to all the competitors at 100 acre wood. ill be following it on RA and im hopeing that a group f person will win it that would be totally sweet

·
Left seat and not British!
785 Posts
I'd chime in here, too....as the person responsible for making this a fiscally responsible event. You guys like $600 entry fees for 110 stage miles? I can't count the number of people who've either contacted me or posted either here or R-A about how they just can't get their car together for the 100AW, but they'll see us at............

That's like "I can't go out with you tonight....but....I'll call you."

Ask Don Rathgeber (who, BTW is bringing half his S*D committee down to work, thank you, Don) if he could produce a rally with 30 entries at $600. 100AW provides the same format and just about the same mileage.

So what is it? In 2002 we had 55 entries. 2003, 44. 2004, 32. Are we done here? All I ever hear is "there aren't enough rallies". You know why? Cause nobody wants to pay the entry fees for what it would take to put this on for 20 cars. Maybe there are too many rallies.

We are a community of "local" rallyists. Towing 8-12 hours seems like just too much for most Regional Rally types. If this were MinneSOHtah or Central Michigan, entries wouldn't be a problem..(workers might be).

So anybody who's not coming want to tell me what we need to do to attract 50-60 cars again? You're out there. I know a great deal of you are not more than a 12 hour tow away, because our people come and work your rallies all the time.

This is a two day format National caliber event for 2/3 the cost of almost anywhere else in the country.

So is it the roads?

Is it lack of local support?

Is it an errant committee philosophy?

Is it too expensive?

Is it February?

Nobody likes Fat Tire?

What is it?

All that aside there's going to be one kickass Regional Rally Competition down here next weekend and I'm looking forward to new faces on the podium...yeah....maybe even an "F-er"

Kim DeMotte
Official Old Fart, etc.

·
Registered
83 Posts
12 hours...I wish. Lets try 15-18 with good traffic.

I have heard it is an awesome venue and the folks there are top notch so the drive is probably worth it.

Hopefully more will show up.

BW

·
Registered
521 Posts
There are those of us towing out from AZ (Personaly I'm flying in from Reno but the team is based in AZ) and there are even some coming from the Northwest. This will be Brian and my 3rd year in a row at 100AW and we are looking forward to it.

David
Co-driver G2 #96

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
It's actually a little closer for me than I thought (16 hours) but that's still a little too far. Sorry to hear others closer aren't going. If only I had more than 2 weeks vacation at my current job x(

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Kim, I may not be a good sounding board, but here's why I'm not considering 100AW.

1. Distance. 24 hours straight or roughly 1,500 miles. The furthest tow we make is generally 13 hours from home base here in Maine(yeah, I know, we're not close to anything! ;-)).

2.) School Vacation. Some of us have children, and this is vacation week.

3.) There is also the issue of what events are important to the competitor. These are not questions specific to 100AW, but the questions that each of us that enter events have to ask ourselves. Is the event a points event in the series I'm running in. If not, what makes the event attractive. The answers vary by team. Some want the seat time at a low cost. Some want exposure at a higher cost. Some only want to enter events in which they'll score championship points.

So, I'd love to race 100AW. For a lot of reasons, I'm not. I hope you guys get the entries you need to remain viable and hope that this year's event is a barn burner! :)

Cheers! John

·
Registered
374 Posts
Kim -- The Fling Pu team from Pacific NW had two cars invited and we wanted to be there in the WORST way -- the distance was only a small factor. Our issue is the very next weekend we have the Doo **** rally right in our backyard, and we're fielding a new car this year. Nine million last-minute issues to get all three cars ready. We didn't want to break anything at 100AW and not have time to get fixed, knew that the time to get home would squeeze us, and knew we'd have last-minute 'adjustments' to the new car.

So please don't be discouraged -- we want to be there, we would be under different circumstances.

Pat (Mama-san)
Fling Pu Racing
#229 - RX7
#452 - RX3
#498 - REPU

·
Left seat and not British!
785 Posts
This is good feedback...but frustrating when we realize there's nothing we can do about this. We can't move you closer to us or get you more vacation.

100AW is being observed for National status in 2006. If that happens, then I suspect the budgetary problems are solved. It was a national from 1977 thru 1983,so it's been there before.

I know what you mean in Maine and the NW. I've only made events in those places once in 35 years. And I'm not expecting coastal entries (althought middle Atlantic isn't that bad, but New England is a lot worse). I'm bothered by all the competitors right here in the midwest who aren't here. Especially if Rally-America's Regional Rally Championships are to mean something...there are 5 coefficients here.

I looked at last year's entry list...it was small, too. But 20 of them aren't back this year. We're generating a very high turnover rather than keeping our old competitors. What does that mean?

As I said before...all that aside, there's gonna be some terrific raing here this weekend....stay tuned to R-A's coverage!

Kim DeMotte
Official Old Fart, etc.

·
Registered
660 Posts
>
>So anybody who's not coming want to tell me
>

I attended 100AW last year and had a GREAT time. The reasons I'm not there this year in order of severity are:

-My rally budget. Since the cost required to do RA National vs. Regional series are now so similar (IMHO), I've decided to try National, at least for one year. Thus I don't have budget left for this event (or any other Regional-only events far from home).

-I no longer own a vehicle for the class I qualified in.

-My vacation time budget issues are similar to the money budget issues I mentioned above.

-Close enough to SnoDrift on the schedule that makes it difficult for me to do both (cash flow, time away from work, vehicle prep, etc.). I've never done SnoDrift and 100AW in the same year.

I'll be back, just not this year.

Jim Cox

>
>
>Kim DeMotte
>Official Old Fart, etc.
>

·
Registered
868 Posts
Kim,
I hear that you all put on a great event every year. There's no special reason why I haven't attended. I wish I had a great answer or a great suggestion, but I don't. It's true that we are spoiled with many good rallies in Washington and Oregon. The Doo **** are very convenient and cheap for me.
Good luck this year. Maybe we'll come another year.
Dave
Car # 207

·
Registered
140 Posts
>I looked at last year's entry list...it was small, too. But
>20 of them aren't back this year. We're generating a very
>high turnover rather than keeping our old competitors. What
>does that mean?

I'm not sure it's safe to draw conclusions from this year's entry. I expect that entries will be down across the country this year. With the current flux in the sport, and teams' ever-present budget/finance problems, I'm guessing many teams will decide that this is a good year to regroup and pay off debts.

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
I had planned up until about a month ago to attend. My only reason for not coming again this year (as a driver, will be there as crew) is based strictly on financial reasons. Ironically, credit card companies screwing me over forced me to either sell my rally car to pay off debt or declare bankruptcy. So I am car less for a short while. Already have something else in the works though. I know one other person that had planned to attend but doesn't have 18 coefficients or the desire to run a 28mm restrictor in a PGT car so decided to go full Open class and just run Colorado Hill Climb events until he has money to build a G2 car that he can run in a few events to get the coefficients (probably not too soon either).

Most of the PNW teams probably opt for Doo **** since it is close to home, close to same stage milage, and thus costs less for them. I loved this event last year despite my 4 miles of racing on Friday and a limp through Saturday. Great roads, great people, great organization.

·
Registered
521 Posts
They really do have great roads and the locals are super. Last year Brian and I spent time at one of the elementry schools visiting with the kids and signing 'hero' cards. There was one boy crippled and in a wheel chair that I put into my Co-driver seat, strapped him in with helmet and all. The smile on his face alone made the trip worthwhile.

It's nice to be on the list of invities for the CRNC and having been past winners in two different classes, but the fact is that we both enjoy the event alot and put it high on our list of most do events for the year. As a Rally Chairman myself I applaud the job that Kim has done and also the support that Rally America is doing for us even on the regional/club level. Sure there are some unknowns in this new era but please give them all a chance and also if at all possible make the effort to support events like this even if it means being a volunteer instead of an entrant.

Hope to see you all soon!

David Hackett
Co-driver G2 #96
AZ Brian Scott Rally Team

·
Registered
17 Posts
A few reasons why I'm not there:

Late release of entry info

According to supps, need to rejoin SCCA

Overwhelming service schedule, hard on volunteer crew

5 days on the road

Crew not notified of us being broke last year until I made my way to the banquet 4 hours later and did so myself (thanks to the guy who gave me the ride to Salem)

Budget

Randy Bailey
2 out of 3 ain't bad

1 - 20 of 28 Posts