Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you removed the front swaybar ???

I am considering removing it in my Rally Car to increase the front wheel travel on rough stages. I have increased the spring rate and raised the car by 4cm. So I don`t see any problem with running it with no swaybar.

I removed mine in my 4wd truck a year ago and have had no problems running it on highways or cornering. I can definetely feel the truck roll more but I have increased the wheel travel 1.5 times.

I love the long wheel travel on trucks , I wish Rally cars were able to have the length of that travel but not the weight.

Robert VanLane

·
Registered
163 Posts
We have 9.5 inches in front and 11 inches in the rear with stock suspension and no sway bars. The car handles like a dream but we have never actually experimented with replacing the sway bars or anything. We just got lucky and liked what we had so stopped development. I'm a big advocate of lots of suspension travel and reinforcing everything you can. It is lots more fun to not have to worry about those bumps and rocks.

Bradney A. Boli
Over Exposure Racing
Honda Accord #311

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will pull mine tomorrow and try it out over some real rough roads.

Robert VanLane
TakeTomboRacing

·
Registered
34 Posts
First, let me say that I am a second season rallyist so my opinions are based on a modest level of empirical testing, and on what I have heard more knowledgable people express.

I have removed all sway bars from my two cars, a G2 VW Golf and Open Mitsubishi VR-4 Galant. I primarily did this to loosen the cars up as much as add wheel travel. A stiffer rear means more oversteer, so no sway bar in the front achieves this. If you leave the rear in it may be too loose, I took mine out after some testing. Now the car has good weight transfer properties, longer travel, less weight and overall better rally balance. The drawback is that at very high speeds it can feel a bit more unsettled, I deal with this by adding a touch of LFB under these circumstances. I am sure there are many more implications, but these are the ones I know of/ come to mind.

Good luck.

Ward Ogden

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
If you are FWD or AWD, I would think you would like to keep the rear sway bar, to keep more rear roll stiffness, and help the car automatically rotate. Most front sway bars are disconnected not for extra wheel travel, but because they reduce front roll stiffness, and thus the tendency of the car to plow.

Mark B.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Hi Ward,

You mentioned better weight transfer in your post: do you mean less or more tendedncy to shift weight front to rear, or side to side, or what? My initial reaction to this statement on weight transfer are that the sway bars(actually, we should say anti-sway bars) have little or nothing to do with front/rear weight transfer; this transfer should have most to do with front and rear spring rates and heights. (Just curious here).

Mark Bowers :)

PS: ever get your ECU re-programming settled in? I am looking to learn how to do this, so am curious about your experience. What ECU did you get in the VR-4?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts