Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm posting the SCCA releases as they come in. The are translated from the MS Word version so they are a lot easier to read than the text version.

Sandman's Rally Page
http://rally.sandmansoftware.com
Contact us for Team, Club or Event websites

·
Registered
83 Posts
What a pain! Their website is a little hard to figure out, but they are posting the times . . . for everyone except the rally cars.

Clearly they view the Rally entries as some sort of novelty exhibition. It would be interesting to understand the deal between PPIHC and SCCA. It's very like a support race on a CART or NASCAR weekend. Only of interest to a few loyal supporters and a way to keep the spectators happy waiting for the main event. We don't agree with that characterization, but that doesn't change that PPIHC seems to.

Later - jandreini says:
> The Pikes Peak ProRally is not part of the Hillclimb. ...(of course, if you ever bothered to read the SCCA releases, you'd know that) ... All information about the Pikes Peak ProRally is on the SCCA site.

A bit snarky, that. The rest of the note makes precisely my point, though, it's an unrelated support event.

The fact that their website is badly done is a different problem. All one can say is that a MENTION on the PPIHC website would have been welcome. The SCCA site cross references to theirs. Perhaps the mistake is that the SpecialStage link (at the left) goes to the PPIHC site and not the SCCA.

Ken Hawley
Kalamazoo, MI
Audi 4000Q - #577
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
The Pikes Peak ProRally is not part of the Hillclimb. It is a separate eveent, with separate sanction, separate rules, and separate insurance(of course, if you ever bothered to read the SCCA releases, you'd know that). PPIHC doesn't care about the ProRally, as it's not their event. All information about the Pikes Peak ProRally is on the SCCA site.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's imposible to find any info at all until well after the fact, and thats with the main event!

It's a bit frustrating when you want to know how a pal has done and you cant find any info at all.

For such an internationally watched event, i find it amazing that the info isnt up on the web live, we have that on club rallies in the UK so it isnt dificult or expensive.

·
50 L3/CR 70 Yump 200
997 Posts
The folks at PPIHC treated us VERY well, I'm sure it was a lot of work for Kurt, Julie, and Shaun (Thank you!).
As far as the operations, yeah- they do things a bit different (OK, just try to ask them how to get to tech)...kinda works like a big clubrally- you know, same as last year, etc etc.
I am sure they will begin to catch up w/the program as far as results and all.
Interesting thing - they still do not understand "FLICKS" there, you get to see lots of spectators get wide eyed and run when you flick left into a hairpin right.
As far as Mark and I - we wasted a turbo on the way up saturday.- thou, Mark still made it a good ride, The best bit is coming down Saturday...a couple thousand people line the road to yell,scream, hi-five you (and even hand out drinks).
Looks like it will happen again next year, Make a plan of it- you'll never forget it.
Jeff Secor codriver #83 Subaru WRX

·
Registered
117 Posts
>Interesting thing - they still do not understand "FLICKS"
>there, you get to see lots of spectators get wide eyed and
>run when you flick left into a hairpin right.

Most of the drivers there don't understand "flicks" either (but still do them, of course). I was on the outside of the hairpin left at devil's playground when a super stock car did a "flick"...the driver was off the brakes completely and looked like he was just going to drive off the cliff, but got the car pointed the other way just in time to not hit anything or anyone.
There was another time when I was standing uphill at least 100 yards from that same turn and an open wheel car fishtailed all the way up the straight and came really close to running a bunch of people over. Gotta remember that most of the drivers there can't keep their cars under control.

Overall, the rally cars made a BIG impression. Since they came after the sprint cars, it made all the rally drivers look like they REALLY know what they're doing. I also noticed that a lot of spectators got closer to the road to watch.

Anyone else notice that Robby Unser was driving almost as well as that crazy woman in the toaster looking thing? :7

Will MacDonald
1968 Volvo 144

1 - 11 of 11 Posts