Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Marketing through Motorsports
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my 2003 SCCA rule book in the mail today. It's possibly the earliest I've ever seen it arrive, so kudos to the SCCA staff for timeliness.

Then I looked at the back page. Allow me to type, and hope my typing is correct: "Please note the 2003 Performance Rally Rules file is a read only file, [sic] you will not be able to print or select any of the text or images."

So, what's the purpose of a rule book?

If you're a regular sanctioning body, it's to encourage participation in your sport.

If you're the SCCA, it's to sell rule books.

Why would you want to prevent potential members from printing the rules for further study? Why would you want to prevent current members from being able to quote a rule correctly via cut-and-paste?

Yeah, the printed book is only ten bucks, but in contrast and more importantly, the electronic version is instant. You grab it while you think about it instead of having to find your check book or credit card, call or mail in an order, and wait. People will say "I'll order it later," then forget about it.... ding, another lost competitor. In today's 9-second attention span generation, we need to grab them quick and give them what they want, even if they haven't yet become members. Realistically, those who are really interested would buy the paper book eventually if for no other reason than because it fits nicely in the car.

Even if bootlegging a rule book was a serious issue (I find that hard to believe) you'd think that the advertisers would appreciate the extra value they get from extra copies that might be printed. You'd think the SCCA would welcome the extra competitors that readily-available rule books might bring.

Is there a fear that people might deliberately change something? Won't re-typing cause the same problem?

Perhaps it's just an oversight in the PDF creation process. (Actually, it takes extra steps to block printing and selecting, but let's give them the benefit of the doubt.) Fortunately the PRB can easily fix the problem if they choose.... simply re-cast the on-line PDF and post on-line. With a slow computer it might take 2 minutes. You could always put a footer or watermark saying "only the printed version, as amended by Fastrack, is considered official."

Of course, I made these same suggestions back in 1998, with equal success. (Come to think of it, when the first electronic, non-searchable, rule book came out, they refused to fix that one too.)

At least we have some flavor of electronic rule book now, and it is searchable. It's just too bad we can't share it with potential new members.

[hr]

[p align=right]John Dillon
John @ WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

·
Registered
706 Posts
Not to mention, for people (like me) that are currently building cars for SCCA competition BUT are not yet SCCA members, its rather nice to just print out the online version when trying to figure out the crazy roll cage section...

Skye Poier
Seattle, WA

Vive le Prole-le-Ralliat!

·
600 /CR !!! R2>
450 Posts
>Perhaps it's just an oversight in the PDF creation process.
>(Actually, it takes extra steps to block printing and
>selecting, but let's give them the benefit of the doubt.)
>Fortunately the PRB can easily fix the problem if they
>choose.... simply re-cast the on-line PDF and post on-line.
>With a slow computer it might take 2 minutes. You could
>always put a footer or watermark saying "only the printed
>version, as amended by Fastrack, is considered official."
>

The PDF file is password protected, so it was quite deliberate...Even if you had PDF editing software, you still couldn't do anything without the password. So that rules out someone releasing a bootleg version :)

A little disappointing...My first rally was last May, only a week after I decided to actually start competing as a co-driver. I didn't have a hard copy of the rule book, so I downloaded the online rulebook and printed out the relevant sections that I needed to know and took them with me. With the CD version of the 2003 rule book, I wouldn't have been able to do that.

A question -- are rule changes mid-year applicable immediately, or are they not effective until next year? Seems to kind of defeat the purpose of a printed rulebook if they go into effect immediately.

Also, anyone know the easiest way to notify SCCA of an address change?

--
JP Rowland jeremyrowland -at- mac.com
Visit my boring web page: http://homepage.mac.com/jeremyrowland

·
Left seat and not British!
785 Posts
Someone also made some arbitrary cut-offs on the histrocial data that came at the back of the book....but we now have more "NOTE" pages!

And yes I'm not happy about the '79 100 Acre Wood' no longer listed as part of ProRally history.

Kim DeMotte
Official Old Fart, etc.

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>A question -- are rule changes mid-year applicable
>immediately, or are they not effective until next year?
>Seems to kind of defeat the purpose of a printed rulebook if
>they go into effect immediately.

Technically, they are supposed to go into effect on the first day of the month of the issue of Fastrack/Sportscar that they are published in (which is why probably every car that ran LSPR last year was illegal ;-) - no effectivity date on the rule changes that were published in October should have made them effective 1 Oct 2002 rather than 2003 :p). The rulebook does, I belive, allow for rule changes with immediate effect as well now.

Adrian

·
Registered
533 Posts
There are some gross factual errors in the historical data too!!! For Example: Bob Neilsen won G2 in 99, NOT JB Niday... Brenda and I pointed this error, which was in last years book too, out to Sean and Kurt last year...

JB

·
Marketing through Motorsports
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
>Rule book is now online at SCCA web site. No block on
>printing it or downloading it.

I got a note from the webmaster this morning letting me know that it was now on-line. She was told to make it printable, but not copy/paste-able.

Personally, and speaking as a former steward, having copy/paste is a valuable part of having the file electronic. At least we got it to the printable stage for a start.

[hr]

[p align=right]John Dillon
John @ WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.