Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Reno rallies are scheduled for one month from today. I have seen a lot of stories flying around about the event, but I have not seen anything firm about whether it will actually happen.

So, what's the current story? The Mountain Trials rally is happening in BC that same weekend so I need to figure out whether to get a room in Reno or Merritt fairly soon.

alan

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hey Alan,

It could be a no-brainer:

1./ Western Canadian Rally Championship Points Race
You and Ross stand a good chance of finishing well up the order and could leap-frog into a strong position in the Western Cdn Rally Championship! see http://www.rallybc.com/html/wcrc_points.html

2./ SCCA-NORPAC Points Race
Points earned at Mtn Trials can be applied to your NORPAC standing as "out-of-division" points (unless you've already used up your out-of-division allotment in Alberta...)

3./ The roads in Merritt - despite your tire woes, the long morning stages at PFR were some of the sweetest, flowing stage roads that I've run in awhile. At 26km it really gives a skilled driver/co-driver a chance to open up a good lead over some more-powerful vehicle, crewed by lesser-skilled rivals. Also, there will be a couple of new roads that none of us have driven yet.

4./ The exchange rate!

See ya at Wild West.

Bill Westhead

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
>Hey Alan,
>
>It could be a no-brainer:
>1./ HP SAUCE!
>2./ Western Canadian Rally Championship Points Race
>You and Ross stand a good chance of finishing well up the
>order and could leap-frog into a strong position in the
>Western Cdn Rally Championship! see
>http://www.rallybc.com/html/wcrc_points.html
>
>3./ SCCA-NORPAC Points Race
>Points earned at Mtn Trials can be applied to your NORPAC
>standing as "out-of-division" points (unless you've already
>used up your out-of-division allotment in Alberta...)
>
>4./ The roads in Merritt - despite your tire woes, the long
>morning stages at PFR were some of the sweetest, flowing
>stage roads that I've run in awhile. At 26km it really gives
>a skilled driver/co-driver a chance to open up a good lead
>over some more-powerful vehicle, crewed by lesser-skilled
>rivals. Also, there will be a couple of new roads that none
>of us have driven yet.
>
5./ the distance

>6./ The exchange rate!

7./ HP SAUCE!
>
>See ya at Wild West.
>
>Bill Westhead

John Vanlandingam
Seattle, WA. 98168

·
Registered
521 Posts
While the roads have been handled and a hotel and venue for the event have been secured, Reno needs to be put on hold mainly for the lack of workers. There have been a couple of changes at the top and just not enough time to recruit and train the people needed. John Forespring does a great job of putting Rallys together but even he has his limits and Reno's date is just way too close to Wild West for him and his bag of tricks.

What is going on with Reno is that there is a positive shift for the best for next year. Even though I know better, I have decided to step up and at least co-chair future Reno events. Greg Montgomery and his group from the San Francisco Region are very interested in helping out with possibily two events next year, one in April and one in October. With the roads that have already been laid out with some additional ones added in, the help of local promoters Roadshows, and the assistance of the San Francisco Region funds and membership (CRS is even reported to be interested in helping SFR) the future looks bright.

Even as soon as tonight Greg and his group are meeting together to discuss plans for Reno, I will be calling them tonight for an update and then on my way to Wild West tomorrow for the Rally.

David Hackett
Reno, NV

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Pete Morris (building "Son of CoROLLa"). JVL, are you suffering from HP Sauce withdrawal? I can get it down here in LA by the case if you want some. Ever tried it on sliced roast beef, cooked by your own hands and cold straight from the fridge? Add salt and pepper on a French roll and you have one great snack! Yes, I like to cook too!.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Was Reno, now food...

Pete, you are evil, I can't get roast beef and HP out of my mind.

My parents send me food parcels from home every now and again. Branson Pickle, Marmite, HP and Chocolate Hobnobs.

Dave

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, what the heck is HP Sauce?

Bill, you know that I would definitely take Merritt over Reno (no offense to Reno).

With all of the TSDs that I have run (plus PFR), I have done more events in BC than anywhere else. (Actually, counting TSDs and my possible ride at Charlevoix this year, I have competed in more events in Canada than in the US!)

Ross wanted to do Reno because it was two C3 events, as opposed to Mountain Trials, which will be equivalent to a single C3.

alan

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,207 Posts
>OK, what the heck is HP Sauce?

HP Sauce is yummy. Try some when you are in Merritt. Marmite, however, is quite gross. Avoid it at all costs.

And, of course, have some poutine (spelling?) if you make it to Quebec.

Was Reno supposed to be two C3s?

Ben

·
Registered
253 Posts
snip..
>Greg Montgomery and his group from the San Francisco
>Region are very interested in helping out with possibily two
>events next year, one in April and one in October. With the
>roads that have already been laid out with some additional
>ones added in, the help of local promoters Roadshows, and
>the assistance of the San Francisco Region funds and
>membership (CRS is even reported to be interested in helping
>SFR) the future looks bright.
>
>David Hackett
>Reno, NV

One slight clarification. The April date should be mid/late June. Pete Soper & I feel we need about six weeks after the snow melts to properly mileage & precheck the route. The spring rallye would be a tulip diagram Monte Carlo style event, using as much of the route book as possible. This would give us, the organizers a lower profile event to train alot of new workers, and competitors a chance to see the roads. This rallye would be a great chance to train a new co-driver, or let a long time co-driver finally drive the car ;-)

Bill Jonesi

P.S. Sort of private note to David Hackett. When you get back from Wild West, please contact Pete & I on how much you have done on your routes.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
RE: Was Reno, now food...

Pete Morris (building "Son of CoROLLa"). Just what the hell is a chocolate hobnob? I'm 54 and have never heard of it! Anybody out there want to try Welsh rarebit? Toast a slice of bread on one side under the grill. Remove slice from grill and slice Caerphilly or Cheddar cheese (You know, the REAL cheese) and place on unbrowned side of bread. Place on top, thinly sliced tomatoes and grill until cheese is melted and tomatoes are nice and drippy. Remove from grill, place on plate and add WHITE pepper, not this namby-pamby black pepper and smother with HP SAUCE!. This is one delicious snack for lunch if you don't want anything heavy. How about baked beans on toast? Grill two pieces of GOOD quality bread, depending on where you live. Get some Heinz baked beans, in tomato sauce, not this vegetarian crap you find in the supermarkets. Cover toasted bread with lashings of REAL butter, St Ivel from UK or New Zealand butter and pour heated beans over both slices. Add salt and pepper and Heinz ketchup or HP SAUCE and ENJOY! Anybody want my recipe for Spaghetti Bolognese? Let's see if Alex Gelsomino wants to chime in on this one. Any rally organizer want a cook and different food for their event? Call me.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Pete Morris (building "Son of CoROLLa"). Cover the cost and I will send you a bottle of HP Sauce for you to taste. Should not be more than $10. Long may your taste buds wish for more!

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Pete Morris (building "Son of CoROLLa"). Come on Ben, Marmite is an aquired taste. Vision this, out in the middle of nowhere, in a forest, dark and gloomy, with snow on the ground and you are COLD! You open your Thermos and smell that Marmite! Doesn't that warm the cockles of your heart? You hear and smell thae cars go by, but you are warm and happy, you savour your Marmite. By the way, it does taste good, thinly spread on a slice of bread too!

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
RE: Was Reno, now food...

Pete Morris (building "Son of CoROLLa"). Don't get me started on Branston Pickle. Picture this, thinly sliced French crispy bread, about half an inch thick. Real butter or "I can't believe it's not butter". It really does taste GOOD! I use it every day, tastes better than the REAL stuff! Take a couple of slices of cooked ham and cover it with BRANSTON PICKLE with salt and REAL pepper. ENJOY!!!!

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Pete Morris (building "Son of CoROLLa"). Forgot to mention that the Marmite is mixed into a concoction with boiling water to make the beef flavoured (correct spelling) drink for those cold winter nights.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts