Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just guess what STPR top 10 driver the tags of this car come back to... It was seen at STPR on West Rim Rd on the way to a SS4 spectating point. Both airbags blown and tons of damage to the front. Looked like somebody just came around an easy sweeper left and lost it into the tree....ouch...

http://www.geocities.com/dejota69/sube.jpg

Emmons (DJ) Hathaway
PGT 323 GTX #812

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RE: Why is a top 10 drivers car

>Could you be a bit more clear about what you're asking?

hehe....I'm an idiot....computer locked up in the middle of posting/previewing

Emmons (DJ) Hathaway
PGT 323 GTX #812

·
Registered
527 Posts
RE: What's a top 10 drivers car doing here?

Sometimes we get spectators who think they're rallyists and like to see if they can beat the day's best stage times in their street cars once the stage is no longer hot. Looks like that's what happened here.

CP
Desert Storm Rally
A2 Jetta #305

·
Registered
286 Posts

>Sometimes we get spectators who think they're rallyists and
>like to see if they can beat the day's best stage times in
>their street cars once the stage is no longer hot. Looks
>like that's what happened here.
>
>CP
>Desert Storm Rally
>A2 Jetta #305

Nope. That car was there BEFORE the start of stage 4. I was up the road at Mid-4 as radidio, and folk were commentating on it being there from way early in the day. It definitely happened pre-event. How much pre-event is unknown. The PA DCNR was contacted about it...no one was seen around it, and it was the subject of much conversation.
So...whose was it?

Charlie KA8OQF

·
Registered
286 Posts

Well, according to an e-mail I got...

"Charlie,

Just to ease your mind, a friend of mine was using the car to get to a
spectator point on Saturday. There was an accident, but thankfully no
one was injured aside from some seatbelt burns and a bruised ego. Hope
this clears up some of your apparent suspicions."

Yes, it was signed by a top ten driver whose name shall be withheld.
I think I can go along with this one...glad no one was hurt. That makes three things at once that took a hit...a car, a tree, and someone's insurance policy...ouch...

Charlie KA8OQF

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

>Yes, it was signed by a top ten driver whose name shall be
>withheld.

Yup...I wasn't going to let the name out either. I was more alluding to the fact that if I was that driver and a friend did that to my 02 WRX I'd be pissed. x(

Emmons (DJ) Hathaway
PGT 323 GTX #812

·
Registered
1,383 Posts

It came accross like you were accusing someone of pre running a stage and then leaving the scene

·
Registered
286 Posts

On reflection, I can see how someone might interpret it that way...the given explanation answers the question quite adequately.

Some of the things that got me thinking were:

1) At registration, I overheard some commentary about service crew members at various spectator points/non-service areas, and how their presence might cause concern about illegal service and the like.

2) There was conversation on the radio about this incident. I don't know if it had been reported to law enforcement or not, but the accident happened before stage 4 was run, and as late as half an hour after the stage was done the forestry people hadn't heard anything about it. They dispatched officers to check it out, and found no one near the car. Someone somewhere along the line (and I'm pointing no fingers here) juggled the ball a bit too long. If nothing else, a piece of paper stating who/what/when/where/we're all ok should have been left with the car. Gotta keep them foresters happy so's they'll let us come play in the dirt next year...

Other than that, I'd like to have been a fly on the wall when someone got told that their friend broke their toy...oops...

Luckily, no one was hurt (other than the aforementioned bruised ego), and all's well that ends well, so to speak.

·
Old Fart
560 Posts

Charlie, we arrived at the intersection of Fahnestock and West Rim shortly after you left. A Pennsylvania Forest Ranger (who have full Police powers) arrived and asked about the Subaru. He had just left the scene and had Polaroids of the car. He knew the driver was probably connected with the rally and was trying to find out what had happened. He was very reasonable, but made it plain that he was concerned about someone leaving the scene of an accident. I gather the whole incident was resolved eventually by the authorities.

Paul Jaeger
PRIMO Stage Crews
For a Good Time, Call PRIMO!

·
Registered
286 Posts

That sounds about right for time. Just before I left they were calling in GPS locations to the DCNR, and they said a ranger was on the way...gee, this is like a murder mystery, ain't it?..."I say it's the unknown rally weenie, with the WRX, in the middle of the off-camber sweeper..." :7

1 - 11 of 11 Posts